Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I imagine Celebrini is coming out and if that is the case I hope we get a top 6 wing for him (Couture would be awesome if healthy again. Keep the Eklund-Granlund-Zetterland line together.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It'll be interesting to see if they go the Berdard (every game) or Carlson (segmented off days) route with Celly.
Expecting every game. Carlsson was always iffy on whether he was NHL ready as a prospect in Year 1. Celebrini is ready for NHL hockey, though I'd expect an injury absence since it seems common for rookie centers that were first overall picks (McDavid, Hughes, and Bedard).

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
Seeing as pretty much every all-star level defensive player in the last ~15 years was acquired via trade or UFA (Boyle, Burns, Blake, Karlsson, etc), it feels good to have a solid crop of offensive prospects to build around again. Here's hoping Grier can pull some magic for our D line when our window is starting to crack open to compete if we don't draft any major D prospects. What we do with that 14th pick will be super pivotal.

Probably no better time to come in as a new player (Smith, Muk, Celebrini, Eklund) and step into a leadership role. With Couture seemingly on the tail end of his career, the locker room stuff is hopefully easier to transition to a new young leadership core. I. am. excite.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Seeing as pretty much every all-star level defensive player in the last ~15 years was acquired via trade or UFA (Boyle, Burns, Blake, Karlsson, etc), it feels good to have a solid crop of offensive prospects to build around again. Here's hoping Grier can pull some magic for our D line when our window is starting to crack open to compete if we don't draft any major D prospects. What we do with that 14th pick will be super pivotal.

Probably no better time to come in as a new player (Smith, Muk, Celebrini, Eklund) and step into a leadership role. With Couture seemingly on the tail end of his career, the locker room stuff is hopefully easier to transition to a new young leadership core. I. am. excite.

I’d love for Couture to get healthy and be a part of this next team as a vet. He’s actually be awesome as a 2nd line winger for Smith. I can see him regaining his youth playing with a bunch of high level kids (Couture is nothing if not competitive).

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Maybe I’m just coming off the high of the lottery win and winning the Celebrini sweepstakes, but after really digging in to what’s maybe available via UFA I’m thinking maybe there is a way to get this team competitive much quicker. Here’s the pipe dream I came up with:

Acquisitions FinancialsRosterSpecial Teams
IMG_1264.jpeg
IMG_1261.jpeg
IMG_1262.jpeg
IMG_1263.jpeg

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Maybe I’m just coming off the high of the lottery win and winning the Celebrini sweepstakes, but after really digging in to what’s maybe available via UFA I’m thinking maybe there is a way to get this team competitive much quicker. Here’s the pipe dream I came up with:

If Celebrini does sign, I'm down to sign Stamkos and pay him whatever he wants for 2-3 years.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Farabee being speculated to be on the move in Philly again. BU guy, scoring LW, and fits the age range we want. I don't really know where Bordeleau fits long-term as a small LW, so would be willing to do Bordeleau and NJD 2nd for Farabee and Johansen or Petersen's contract.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Farabee being speculated to be on the move in Philly again. BU guy, scoring LW, and fits the age range we want. I don't really know where Bordeleau fits long-term as a small LW, so would be willing to do Bordeleau and NJD 2nd for Farabee and Johansen or Petersen's contract.
We already have Eklund and Musty at LW. I like Farabee but he’s nothing we don’t already have in Eklund. If the price is really low, sure, but I don’t think it will be.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The sharks were fortunate to escape from EK65 and his contract. Absolutely zero interest in seeing him in teal again. He’s not the player the sharks need.
I believe a defenseman with elite offensive and puck-moving capabilities is something that the Sharks need. I just don't think Karlsson would accept a trade back nor would Pittsburgh want to retain to make that work. This team needs at least three defensemen that have puck skills where we can't even really claim yet to have one.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I believe a defenseman with elite offensive and puck-moving capabilities is something that the Sharks need. I just don't think Karlsson would accept a trade back nor would Pittsburgh want to retain to make that work. This team needs at least three defensemen that have puck skills where we can't even really claim yet to have one.

I have high hopes that Muhk can come in next year and be a #4 puck moving guy for us. But we definitely need 2 more guys.

Reactions: Sandisfan

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Yes that type of player is needed by the sharks, but EK himself is not the player they should target even if possible. He’s 33 now. Would prefer someone younger who can grow with the team, or someone cheaper than ek.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
We already have Eklund and Musty at LW. I like Farabee but he’s nothing we don’t already have in Eklund. If the price is really low, sure, but I don’t think it will be.
Which is why I am suggesting moving a piece that also probably doesn't fit at LW in Bordeleau plus a low likelihood pick in the 40's.

Musty might be really good, but not going to turn down 24 year old NHLers because Musty might be good. We're a team that can absorb Farabee's $5M for the next 4 years and lower the asking price by taking a negative value contract.

Taking Petersen's buried contract is worth the 38th overall, Bordeleau is probably still worth around a mid-2nd, and then we'd be adding a mid-2nd of our own. Essentially a trio of 2nd rounders for a proven NHL scorer. Using PuckPedia's draft pick value feature, 38th, 42nd, and 48th (value I assigned to Bordeleau) is equal to 18th /19th overall (a pick that I'd imagine that Philly would take for Farabee).

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I have high hopes that Muhk can come in next year and be a #4 puck moving guy for us. But we definitely need 2 more guys.

Some RHDs please. Taking a one year flyer on RHD John Klingberg would be a very Grierzie movie.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Which is why I am suggesting moving a piece that also probably doesn't fit at LW in Bordeleau plus a low likelihood pick in the 40's.

Musty might be really good, but not going to turn down 24 year old NHLers because Musty might be good. We're a team that can absorb Farabee's $5M for the next 4 years and lower the asking price by taking a negative value contract.

Taking Petersen's buried contract is worth the 38th overall, Bordeleau is probably still worth around a mid-2nd, and then we'd be adding a mid-2nd of our own. Essentially a trio of 2nd rounders for a proven NHL scorer. Using PuckPedia's draft pick value feature, 38th, 42nd, and 48th (value I assigned to Bordeleau) is equal to 18th /19th overall (a pick that I'd imagine that Philly would take for Farabee).
I don't think Philadelphia would be all that interested in doing a deal like that. From my discussions with their fans, the dead weight contracts like Johansen and Petersen aren't a worry for them in the sense of using them to deflate another's value as they can buy them out and be fine. I think the only player that they'd deflate another's value to get rid of would be Couturier and I don't think anyone here wants that contract even if it meant getting Farabee for nothing. If we're going to trade for Farabee, it's probably going to cost either the #14 or the Vegas 1st round pick. And while I like Farabee as a potential option since he can play the right side as well, I'm inclined to hold off on that. Scoring wingers aren't things we should be looking to pay futures for. The only spot I'd pay futures for is puck-moving defensemen.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
If we are going to get a forward it should be a RW with size. Can’t have teams taking runs at Celebrini, Smith or Eklund who are all small. Puckmoving or two way D are a huge priority as well

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Someone mentioned the idea of trying to trade #14 (+) to get David Jiricek from the jackets. Just curious if there are other young d prospects (preferably rhd) that would be realistic targets to pick up with #14 + if the sharks decide they want a player further along in their development? Is that even a worthwhile pursuit as teams are unlikely to part with young promising D unless there is some “issues” with them?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I want Couture on Celebrini's wing. I don't doubt his drive to get back on the ice healthy (staying healthy is the question mark) but he is absolutely the guy I want to mentor Celebrini.

And the UFA get I would like to see Grier go after to beef up the defense is Brett Pesce (around 5 x $6). Re-sign the likes of Zadina, Kunin, Emberson, Thrun on 2-3 year deals. Leave the option for Smith to go back another year (but I'd like to see him sign).

I'm happy with that off-season. Should be a stronger team headed in the right direction while keeping cost low without big commitments in salary.

Reactions: OversKy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Why on earth would Philadelphia do that deal though. There’s almost no value for them.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Why on earth would Philadelphia do that deal though. There’s almost no value for them.
Distressed asset with 4 years left at $5M that hates the coach and the coach doesn't much care for the player either. Also get to move off another bad contract without cap penalty. That said, I agree that there is probably more value out there to be had if they strictly want the highest asset in return that they can get as opposed to a prospect/pick/cap package (i.e. a 1st rounder in the late teens as opposed to a package that about equals a pick in the late teens).

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'd be open to moving VGK 1st for Necas as a big body winger who could be a long-term solution in the top 6. Generally prefer to keep those assets, but if we can get a young guy who's a long-term solution and solves a need (big RW, proven young vet to play with a rookie C) I'm a fan of that. Wouldn't mind moving NJ's 2nd for a #4 d-man either.

Failing that, I like Marchessault, Teuvo, and Pavs for top 6 RW as the big prizes. Duclair, Sprong, Debrusk as younger options that are solid middle six wingers.

On the defensive front, I'd love to add a short-term PPQB, and a long-term #4 d-man. PPQB options: Ghost/Brodie/OEL/Gustaffson. Long-term middle pair: Pesce/Roy/Demelo.

Don't want to add too much because I'd like to have next year end in some excitement and growth but ultimately a top 4-5 pick. If that is Hagens, outstanding, if not we'll add a third very good C, or a top pairing d-man.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Couture-Celebrini-Necas
Musty/Bords-Smith-Duclair
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin
Graf, Zadina

OEL-Ruuta
Ferraro-Pesce/Demelo
Muk-Emberson
Vlasic (Benning, Boroughs in AHL)

Blackwood
Vanecek

Sturm, Ruuta, OEL, Ferraro, and Granlund get moved at the deadline. Hensler, Buium (14+33+85), Musty, Bystedt/Edstrom, and Marner join next year.

Reactions: themelkman

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Definitely need to add a top-9 or top-6 to play with the young guys and put the puck in the net. Doesn't need to be a 30 goal guy, but maybe someone like Dakota Joshua. I could realistically see the forwards look like:

Eklund-Granlund-Kostin
Joshua-Celebrini-Zetterlund
Bordeleau-W. Smith-Kunin
G. Smith-Sturm-Cardwell
Guschin/Graf rotate as the main injury callup. Can't put either on the 4th line.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad