2023-2024 Season Grades

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Who exceeded, met and performed below expectations this past season in your opinion?

Exceeded Expectations:

Sanderson

Met Expectations:

Tkachuk
Joseph
Giroux
Zub
Brannstrom

Below Expectations:

Stutzle
Chabot
Chychurn
Norris
Korpisalo
Forsberg
Kastelic
Kubalic
Hamonic
Kelly

Reactions: Laphroaig

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Pinto, JBD, Kelly, Greig, Joseph, Bath and Brady all exceeded my expectations.

Chych, kubalik, kastelic, both goalies, Norris and Stu all came up short this year.

Everyone else was roughly where i expected.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'll play.

Exceeded Expectations:

Sanderson
Kelly
Greig
Pinto
JBD
Batherson
Joseph

Met Expectations:

Tkachuk
Joseph
Giroux
Brannstrom (mine were low)
Korpisalo (sadly, this was him meeting my expectations of him)
Tarasenko

Below Expectations:

Zub
Stutzle
Chabot
Chychrun
Norris
Forsberg
Kastelic
Kubalik
Hamonic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, there's kind of two questions here, expectations and grades. They can be pretty different

Like for me Pinto exceeded expectations, but Sanderson didn't.

But, both Pinto and Sanderson definitely got an A grade imo

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I had high expectations for Pinto and he met them.

I’ll admit, I expected more offence from Sandy, particularly the way he was showing flash and flare in the first ~10 games. Then he settled into a defence first role with less offense, so I guess that means he was below my high expectations, even if one of our best players.

Brady exceeded (again)

Chabot met expectations but I wish my expectations were higher

Chychrun below expectations, but not his fault he was tasked with playing his off side most of the season, he seemed better on the left

Korpy WAY below admittedly optimistic expectations. Stü as well.

Bath exceeded pleasantly.

That’s enough, I’m on BBQ duty

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Only Sanderson was an A player on this team.

Joseph too but its a much lower threshold for him to reach it. Pinto as well but he only played half the season so not fair.

Stutzle, Chabot, Brady, Batherson, Giroux all wildly inconsistent when being a star is about consistency.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Exceded Expectations:
Tkachuk - led the team again in scoring for the 4th time in the last 5 seasons & in numerous other categories (AllStar)
Sanderson - just continues to get better & better, although he had a few tough games
Batherson - as his ankle injury began to heal properly he got better & ended the season with a career yr in pts.
Pinto - even though he missed half a season, he came back strong & ended the yr as the top line centre

Met Expectations:
Giroux - just a steady good vet presence who can produce pts & is a great playmaker
Zub - although injured on & off this yr he was still a very stable presence on D
Joseph - had a good yr, but lacks consistent finish
Greig - is showing glimpses that he has top 6 potential
JBD - led the team in blocked shots & while he is not going to be a pt producer he can help to reduce goals against
Norris - was injured most of the yr again unfortunately, but when healthy he can be a very good player for Ott

Below Expectations:
Chychrun - tied his career yr pt wise, but was not the RD we needed & didn't seem to care, something that hounded him in Arz
Stutzle - has created a narative in the NHL in his short career of being a whiner, crybaby & diver, he needs to mature much faster
Kastelic - not sure what happened to him, maybe injuries, but he needs to be a lot tougher & define his role on this team
Chabot - had a bad yr maybe because of injuries, but just made way too many bonehead decisions that ended up in our net, same for Stutzle/Chychrun
Brannstrom - had a decent season, but I view him as a weak link on D especially defending in front of our net, he's a liability
Hamonic - he had 21 pts the yr before, but has obviously aged out
Korpisalo/Forsberg - did not think goaltending could be worse than the tandem last yr, but clearly they exceded that by a large margin
Kubalik - not sure what happened to him, maybe wasn't put in the right role by either DJ or JM, but it just never worked out with him
Kelly/Katchouk/MacEwan - MEH surely we should have done better than these three, but apparently not

Reactions: Icelevel

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Chryrun was very mid. Stu too. Korpisalo sucked balls.

Pinto, Sanderson, Greig all exceeded.

Tkachuk, Giroux, batherson, zub all good

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Pinto, JBD, Kelly, Greig, Joseph, Bath and Brady all exceeded my expectations.

Chych, kubalik, kastelic, both goalies, Norris and Stu all came up short this year.

Everyone else was roughly where i expected.

and we still finished at the bottom. Something doesn't add up LOL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
and we still finished at the bottom. Something doesn't add up LOL
Well, that wouldn't be enough to have a successful team. 3 of them were basically role players and 1 of the others missed half the season, so it's really only 2 consequential contributors, none of which were on D/G which were the more glaring issues.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Exceeded Expectations:
Greig
Pinto
Joseph
Sandy

Met Expectations:
Giroux
Zub
Brannstrom
Tarasenko
Kelly
JBD

Below Expectations:
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Chabot
Chychurn
Norris
Forsberg
Kastelic
Smejkel
MacEwan
Katchouk
Chartier

Found a new rock bottom
Kubalik
Korpisalo
Hamonic

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anytime you have 1/3 of your team that is not pulling their own weight chances are you are not making the playoffs. You can have a great team in front of the goalies but if the goalies are constantly allowing weak goals (1st goal in half the games) the team is left chasing all the time which opens up opportunities against. This team needs to make about half a dozen changes to this lineup which begins in net & on defence. How many changes they can make realistically before next season is going to be an enormous challenge.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lets say we can't get a top goalie, instead, we move out Forsberg and bring in a guy like Stolarz or Broissoit, we'll assume it ends up as cap neutral. Move out Chychrun for Jenner, sign C.Brown and throw money and term at Pesce

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
B.Jenner-Pinto@5m-Batherson
Greig-Norris-C.Brown@1m
Kelly-Kastelick-Joseph

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Pesce @6m
Kleven-JBD

Extra: Hamonic, Ostapchuk

Broissoit/[email protected]
Korpisalo

Cap hit: 87.56m

Concerns; Goaltending is not a sure thing, depth on D.
Positives: Depth up front looks very good imo, and we've added different elements with Kleven and Pesce adding size, Brown adding some defensive forward, and Jenner adding some jam.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Those having Joseph as exceeding expectations.
I would say exceeded first half with 20 points in 31 games, and a plus 6.

But below expectations in the second half, was 15 points in 35 games and a -11.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Those having Joseph as exceeding expectations.
I would say exceeded first half with 20 points in 31 games, and a plus 6.

But below expectations in the second half, was 15 points in 35 games and a -11.
That 2nd half production is still probably about what should be expected from him based on career averages though. It actually still seems to exceed it.

I can see why they might want to sell high on him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So, there's kind of two questions here, expectations and grades. They can be pretty different

Like for me Pinto exceeded expectations, but Sanderson didn't.

But, both Pinto and Sanderson definitely got an A grade imo
One person's expectations of a player likely is different from another person's expectations. To be clear, the "expectations" should be identified when responding to this question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad