NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Should be enough to exclude him from the NHL. Let's be honest, it would get him excluded from a pile of different industries. Some managers of industry would consider him unhireable because of his track record and reputation. Not just pro sports. I wouldn't hire him to run a gas station. I would never hire him and have people report to him, have him evaluate their performance. Good lord.

They actually brought in Kennedy for the presser because they know this looks like shit. No disrespect to Kennedy but I must of missed where he became the judge and gatekeeper for things like this in hockey. Did he do that appearance at the presser out of his own kindness towards his new buddy Stan? Or was he paid to appear?

This is complete incompetence on Jeff Jackson's part. Plenty of qualified candidates out there who could of done this job and do it very well. No reason to hire Bowman who only has a job in the NHL because of who his daddy is in the first place. Imagine, your organization is about to enter the two most important contract negotiations in it's history and you tag freakin' Stan Bowman to be your point-man on those negotiations? Like holy shit, it's beyond moronic.

You can't tell me any of the Oilers current staff now reporting to Bowman are excited about this. Great culture they are building up there (sarcasm). If there is a silver lining here, it may be the first domino that leads to Draisaitl and McDavid telling the Oilers to go kick rocks and get the heck out of Edmonton.

Yeah I don’t see Kennedy as any kind of gatekeeper. But he’s built up a lot of respect and credibility through his work over the years. His voice has influence in this area. Bit strange really he’s putting himself out there for this. His reputation will be in tatters if Bowman’s appointment goes south. You’d hope he hasn’t been paid for this, or he’s not too trusting or naïve or whatever.

But regardless, fully agree his word isn’t law, and I still see this decision as a mistake that shouldn’t have been made. At the very least, it’s way too soon for Stan to be stepping back into the sport. I’m not quite on board with ‘never ever’ (although I’m not far from it), but not yet, for sure. Negligence is one thing, actively covering up for and abetting offenders quite another. The penance for that needs to be long and thorough.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
“Inadequate response” is the most infuriating phrase that keeps on being repeated. Did Aldrich exercise “inadequate restraint” in failing to stop himself from committing sexual assault? Repeatedly.

There was nothing “inadequate” about that response. It was incredibly purposeful and utterly reprehensible. If Bowman ever for one minute considered his actions to be anything otherwise - there is nothing for him to “learn.”

The Edmonton Oilers organization can go f*** themselves.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
“Inadequate response” is the most infuriating phrase that keeps on being repeated. Did Aldrich exercise “inadequate restraint” in failing to stop himself from committing sexual assault? Repeatedly.

There was nothing “inadequate” about that response. It was incredibly purposeful and utterly reprehensible. If Bowman ever for one minute considered his actions to be anything otherwise - there is nothing for him to “learn.”

The Edmonton Oilers organization can go f*** themselves.

When the Bruins signed Miller the fanbase and the wider Boston sporting community made its feelings very clear and within days the decision had been overturned. Wonder if something similar will happen in Edmonton? A quick look at their HF board suggests most of the folk there are far from impressed.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When the Bruins signed Miller the fanbase and the wider Boston sporting community made its feelings very clear and within days the decision had been overturned. Wonder if something similar will happen in Edmonton? A quick look at their HF board suggests most of the folk there are far from impressed.

Not that it makes it any better, but at least when you see pro athletes get 2nd chances you can at least say they have a specialized skill-set that is hard to find. There are other industries where some-times you need someone highly specialized or highly technical in a certain area and you get a beggers/choosers situation and you take what you can get.

But in this case, the skill-set Bowman brings to the table is a dime-a-dozen really, call him whatever he's an administrator. You see all the recycling of GMs and really the only argument for hiring any of them for their 2nd/3rd/4th GM job is they already have the relationships built with the rest of the GMs so they can hit the ground running.

In Bowman's case, there are probably a few GMs out there, especially some who weren't GMs during his first go around, who cringe at having to deal with him. So even a lot of that benefit might be gone.

Team Presidents should always be looking at the bigger picture and in this case it's a short-sighted move. I guess if they are successful on the ice, this controversy will go away. But if they are not, then this will continue to be a story. If even one of Draisaitl or McDavid leave, people will point to this hire as a turning point.

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I wonder how much of the Stan Bowman hiring came from Oilers ownership? Daryl Katz has pretty notoriously run that team as his own personal hockey fanclub, frequently gifting positions to his heroes from the 80's Oilers and Hockey Canada over all other considerations it seems. Hiring Stan might all be just so that Katz has an excuse to hang out with Scotty at the games...

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He covered up several crimes in his knowledge then wrote a letter of recommendation so the offender could victimize more people elsewhere.

He should not be in hockey in any sense at a minimum.

Just one thing to note, purely for the sake of accuracy - the detailed Jenner & Block report on the Beach incident found no evidence that Bowman or anyone else at the Blackhawks gave Aldrich a letter of recommendation for any of his subsequent employers. Can't say for certain that they didn't, but there's no proof of it.

The cover up is of course reprehensible in itself. But did they actively help the guy to get work elsewhere, which is perhaps next level egregious? Probably not.

Not in any way saying this means Bowman is worthy of a second chance. There's plenty enough still to tar and feather him with. Just clarifying the record.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Roberto Luongo's name is finally on the Cup.

After the smoke cleared from 2011 (literally and figuratively), I liked Luongo. He handled his trade with a great attitude, and was funny in videos and online.

Gregory Campbell's name is on there again, but I didn't see Shawn Thornton's. Maybe because he's already on their twice, and they're only allowed so many names??

I was happy Josh Mahura was successfully petitioned to be included. He was a mainstay on their D for the 2023 Cup run, but was squeezed out with Florida's improved depth at D.

Also, this crew would make a terrible string quartet; too many Violas. ;)
pq5ov52hmfexk62cixcd.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder how much of the Stan Bowman hiring came from Oilers ownership? Daryl Katz has pretty notoriously run that team as his own personal hockey fanclub, frequently gifting positions to his heroes from the 80's Oilers and Hockey Canada over all other considerations it seems. Hiring Stan might all be just so that Katz has an excuse to hang out with Scotty at the games...

The more I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Katz basically ordered Jackson to hire Bowman once he was allowed to work in the NHL again.

The last 3 full-time GMs now have all been GMs of previous (and recent) champions. Of the 8 cups won between 2008 and 2015, they have employed the GM of the winning team of 5 of those 8 championships with this Bowman hire. So this hire fits their MO when it comes to deciding on a General Manager.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Roberto Luongo's name is finally on the Cup.

After the smoke cleared from 2011 (literally and figuratively), I liked Luongo. He handled his trade with a great attitude, and was funny in videos and online.

Gregory Campbell's name is on there again, but I didn't see Shawn Thornton's. Maybe because he's already on their twice, and they're only allowed so many names??

I was happy Josh Mahura was successfully petitioned to be included. He was a mainstay on their D for the 2023 Cup run, but was squeezed out with Florida's improved depth at D.

Also, this crew would make a terrible string quartet; too many Violas. ;)
pq5ov52hmfexk62cixcd.jpg

Funny how the owners just have to get all the immediate family on the Cup. Almost surprised they didn't start listing grandchildren! Made me go back and look at 2011 list, which I hadn't really thought of, at least not for a long time. JJ has himself and Mrs Jacobs and the 3 boys, but not his daughters. Explainable of course on the grounds that the boys are Delaware co-CEOs, while the girls have had other interests and pursuits, plus there is the sheer fact of limited space. Still feels kind of odd though. I think if it were me I'd have had something like "Jeremy and Margaret Jacobs and family", if that were permissible. Seems fairer and simpler.

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
The more I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Katz basically ordered Jackson to hire Bowman once he was allowed to work in the NHL again.

The last 3 full-time GMs now have all been GMs of previous (and recent) champions. Of the 8 cups won between 2008 and 2015, they have employed the GM of the winning team of 5 of those 8 championships with this Bowman hire. So this hire fits their MO when it comes to deciding on a General Manager.
Good point on the Oilers chasing Cup-winning GMs, I hadn't thought of that angle. Still feels odd that they would dump all the negative baggage that Bowman brings onto a team that was a game away from winning the Stanley Cup which definitely suggests ownership meddling imo.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Oilers just had an incredible run to the cup final and followed it up with a pretty well-regarded free agency just to hire Stan f***ing Bowman. Jeeeeez.

I know some people think this could be a Babcock or Mitchell Miller situation where enough backlash will get them canned but I don't see that happening. There's been rumors since the day Bowman and Q were reinstated that the Oilers were looking to bring him in with plenty of negative backlash bubbling up and it didn't stop them.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Just one thing to note, purely for the sake of accuracy - the detailed Jenner & Block report on the Beach incident found no evidence that Bowman or anyone else at the Blackhawks gave Aldrich a letter of recommendation for any of his subsequent employers. Can't say for certain that they didn't, but there's no proof of it.

The cover up is of course reprehensible in itself. But did they actively help the guy to get work elsewhere, which is perhaps next level egregious? Probably not.

Not in any way saying this means Bowman is worthy of a second chance. There's plenty enough still to tar and feather him with. Just clarifying the record.

I get what you're saying, and i know you're not defending the guy or anything like that. But I mean... they actively decided to not go public or inform a SCHOOL that they were hiring a sexual predator just to avoid bad PR for their hockey team. Real evil sh*t. I'd argue that not reporting the incident and certifying a background check without flagging anything could be classified as helping the guy get a new job given the context.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
And to add. Every single person in that chicago organization who knew about what happened watched Aldrich go on and work at a school. Imagine not having the integrity to call up the school and tell them, no matter what your boss, boss' boss, or anyone for that matter tells you about it. I don't care if you're the janitor who overheard a conversation or the GM. You make that call every time. Coward is an understatement for those people. Disgraceful that this guy is ever allowed to even attend a hockey game again.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I get what you're saying, and i know you're not defending the guy or anything like that. But I mean... they actively decided to not go public or inform a SCHOOL that they were hiring a sexual predator just to avoid bad PR for their hockey team. Real evil sh*t. I'd argue that not reporting the incident and certifying a background check without flagging anything could be classified as helping the guy get a new job given the context.

Oh yeah, no argument with any of that. Well said. Was just that one thing I wanted to clear up.

It seems a truism that won't go away across many sports that people who should have been cast aside on account of their past behaviors keep worming their way back in. The small fish don't so much, but those with influence and connections linger. Shouldn't happen, but the bubbles in which the sports operate, the old boys' clubs and the like, are tough to crack.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
After learning of the passing of Senators' coach Bob Jones (ALS) and watching an interview he did last year, this video came up on my sidebar.

I know, nothing lasts forever; but this made me wistful.

Linus has been such a part of the Bruins, it seems surreal.

But, it is a business.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
8x8.5 for Faber. Minnesota locking their stud down quickly.

Looking ahead at Team USA's defense in 2026 if I was making it:

Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Werenski (?) - Faber

That is loaded. At least 5 dmen who are all outstanding in their own zone. I can't speak for Werenski's defensive ability, but he's no slouch either. Could see someone usurp him though.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
likely the door has been locked on Hartford returning to anything above the AHL Wolf*Pack;

Chuck Kaiton unequivocally said "No" WHEN asked directly if the Whalers would ever resurface in Hartford even if Carolina owns the Whalers trademarks..... Kaiton then said, the NHL wouldn't be interested in a Whalers revival @ XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad