NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People shit on Bettman more out of habit, than any specific thing he's actually done wrong. He'll be a mortal lock for the HoF.

Ziegler was 100x worse.....

Yeah, his personality brings it on a bit too. He comes across kinda weaselly and I think he knows it.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Tough news for Krug, and yes, some welcome cap relief for the Blues. But his reunion with Claude Julien is on hold.

I read in the trade forum Travis Konecny is asking for $10 million per on his next contract; though that's likely a negotiating ploy. He is one of my favorite non-Bruin players.

Those numbers for the NHL do bode well for Bettman. And yes, I think he's cool with the flak fans give him. I remember during the Cup in the bubble, fans were joking they should've piped in the boos when he presented the Cup.

As for the work stoppages, Bettman has never had a problem playing the long game. It cost the league an entire season, but the league is better for it (as are the owners, Bettman's bosses).

Working in music, it's been the opposite. From Napster, to iTunes, to YouTube, to Spotify - artists have gotten shorter shrift with each new entity, and the business model is more top-heavy than it's ever been. Some have even lamented had they played hardball alongside Lars Ulrich fighting Napster 25 years ago (instead of ridiculing him), things would be different.

Of course that's speculative; but Bettman's insistence on "cost certainty" and his hard cap has really benefited the on-ice product, imo.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Poor guy's had to endure four work stoppages.
Three actually, unless we are blaming him for the pandemic too.

I’d argue it’s actually 2, since the ‘94 stoppage was due to Ziegler and Stein failing to get a deal done in ‘92. Instead, they just kicked the can down the road.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Three actually, unless we are blaming him for the pandemic too.

I’d argue it’s actually 2, since the ‘94 stoppage was due to Ziegler and Stein failing to get a deal done in ‘92. Instead, they just kicked the can down the road.
My bad 3, not 4. I'd just love to hear him say "Lockout" just once.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
So it's been over a month since Florida won the cup ... now understand I've lived in Florida 20+ yrs and before that 40 years in and around the Foxboro area, if I wasn't a hockey fan - I never would know Florida won the cup. It not talked about beyond a curiosity, there is no pride, no marketing. Granted I live 5 hours from Sunrise / Miami in the central part of the state 90 minutes from Tampa 40 minutes from Gainesville, maybe it's a big deal in the southern part of the state, but you would never know it here. I guess it like if i were a bruins fan living in Philadelphia no one around me would care it Boston won the cup. But If I were 40 minutes south of Boston after the Bruins won a cup ... people would be wearing hats, jerseys, t-shirts , talking about the team and looking forward to next season. The silence was the same when Tampa won , though to be honest you could find some championship merchandise in a few stores, but there was/is no excitement/electricity in the air, only a passing footnote. I find it kind of an empty victory for Florida other than maybe those in the franchise, transplants, and those within 20 miles of Sunrise if that , nobody really cares. Just saying.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I think Dean Evason is an excellent hire for CBJ from the little I know of him. He seemed to get a lot out of a little with Minnesota who had some young players in the mix.

Grumpy looking fella though. He might have that Bill Belicheck syndrome of never smiling but if he brings results, who's complaining?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think Dean Evason is an excellent hire for CBJ from the little I know of him. He seemed to get a lot out of a little with Minnesota who had some young players in the mix.

Grumpy looking fella though. He might have that Bill Belicheck syndrome of never smiling but if he brings results, who's complaining?
Could be worse. They could have used heartattack.jpg:

1721679999694.png

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So it's been over a month since Florida won the cup ... now understand I've lived in Florida 20+ yrs and before that 40 years in and around the Foxboro area, if I wasn't a hockey fan - I never would know Florida won the cup. It not talked about beyond a curiosity, there is no pride, no marketing. Granted I live 5 hours from Sunrise / Miami in the central part of the state 90 minutes from Tampa 40 minutes from Gainesville, maybe it's a big deal in the southern part of the state, but you would never know it here. I guess it like if i were a bruins fan living in Philadelphia no one around me would care it Boston won the cup. But If I were 40 minutes south of Boston after the Bruins won a cup ... people would be wearing hats, jerseys, t-shirts , talking about the team and looking forward to next season. The silence was the same when Tampa won , though to be honest you could find some championship merchandise in a few stores, but there was/is no excitement/electricity in the air, only a passing footnote. I find it kind of an empty victory for Florida other than maybe those in the franchise, transplants, and those within 20 miles of Sunrise if that , nobody really cares. Just saying.
You live in North Central Florida. Its not a hockey market and nobody gives a hoot in that part of the state. They're all focused college football spring practices and the upcoming SEC/ACC football season.

The Florida Panthers have always been a Broward/Dade/Palm Beach County franchise. They are what they are.

Reactions: JAD

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reminder of the type of human the Edmonton Oilers just put in charge of their organization.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
entitled and thought the ECHL was below his capabilities.... one of the reasons why non prospected G were playing ahead of him even veteran G that weren't necessarily or had and then Bussi's rise through the organization combined with the acquisition of DiPietro, who had loads of AHL Time w/ Abbotsford.... believe at one point, the organization assigned Keyser from PRO to Maine and u have a 3 day window to report.... Keyser was the extra nobody knew what exactly to do w/ him, even in Providence at times,
Wasn’t he playing very well for a stretch then injured and got buried? Not sure if he just wasn’t the same but maybe he felt he didn’t get a fair shake coming back. I don’t know which side is right but there is always some truth in both sides.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Reminder of the type of human the Edmonton Oilers just put in charge of their organization.

Bowman did wrong, no doubt about it. Badly wrong. Enough to exclude him from the game forever though?

Bowman's allegedly made genuine efforts to learn from his mistakes, to educate himself, to atone for his wrongs. He's supposedly met and mended fences with Beach, taken part in respect programs and the like, and the most notable thing for me is he's been endorsed by Sheldon Kennedy, who's highly regarded for his own work around abuse and bullying.

Is that enough? Is his remorse and change genuine? IDK. But there are no easy answers in these situations.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Bowman did wrong, no doubt about it. Badly wrong. Enough to exclude him from the game forever though?

Bowman's allegedly made genuine efforts to learn from his mistakes, to educate himself, to atone for his wrongs. He's supposedly met and mended fences with Beach, taken part in respect programs and the like, and the most notable thing for me is he's been endorsed by Sheldon Kennedy, who's highly regarded for his own work around abuse and bullying.

Is that enough? Is his remorse and change genuine? IDK. But there are no easy answers in these situations.

A big f***ing "YES." A very easy yes at that.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

He covered up several crimes in his knowledge then wrote a letter of recommendation so the offender could victimize more people elsewhere.

He should not be in hockey in any sense at a minimum.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He covered up several crimes in his knowledge then wrote a letter of recommendation so the offender could victimize more people elsewhere.

Bowman's allegedly made genuine efforts to learn from his mistakes, to educate himself

Imagine a grown ass man needing to learn why he shouldn't cover up sexual assault before writing letters of recommendation for the rapist. He didn't use the wrong f***ing fork at dinner.

I'm all for second chances, but some things should definitively end your right to work in the NHL. Let him stock shelves if he needs the money.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A big f***ing "YES." A very easy yes at that.

Fair. Just posing the question. The Kennedy support gave me pause, but overall I'm still not comfortable with it. As has been said, some things do put one beyond the pale. In the hockey world at least, Bowman really has erred enough to exclude him permanently.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Should be enough to exclude him from the NHL. Let's be honest, it would get him excluded from a pile of different industries. Some managers of industry would consider him unhireable because of his track record and reputation. Not just pro sports. I wouldn't hire him to run a gas station. I would never hire him and have people report to him, have him evaluate their performance. Good lord.

They actually brought in Kennedy for the presser because they know this looks like shit. No disrespect to Kennedy but I must of missed where he became the judge and gatekeeper for things like this in hockey. Did he do that appearance at the presser out of his own kindness towards his new buddy Stan? Or was he paid to appear?

This is complete incompetence on Jeff Jackson's part. Plenty of qualified candidates out there who could of done this job and do it very well. No reason to hire Bowman who only has a job in the NHL because of who his daddy is in the first place. Imagine, your organization is about to enter the two most important contract negotiations in it's history and you tag freakin' Stan Bowman to be your point-man on those negotiations? Like holy shit, it's beyond moronic.

You can't tell me any of the Oilers current staff now reporting to Bowman are excited about this. Great culture they are building up there (sarcasm). If there is a silver lining here, it may be the first domino that leads to Draisaitl and McDavid telling the Oilers to go kick rocks and get the heck out of Edmonton.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Should be enough to exclude him from the NHL. Let's be honest, it would get him excluded from a pile of different industries. Some managers of industry would consider him unhireable because of his track record and reputation. Not just pro sports. I wouldn't hire him to run a gas station. I would never hire him and have people report to him, have him evaluate their performance. Good lord.

They actually brought in Kennedy for the presser because they know this looks like shit. No disrespect to Kennedy but I must of missed where he became the judge and gatekeeper for things like this in hockey. Did he do that appearance at the presser out of his own kindness towards his new buddy Stan? Or was he paid to appear?

This is complete incompetence on Jeff Jackson's part. Plenty of qualified candidates out there who could of done this job and do it very well. No reason to hire Bowman who only has a job in the NHL because of who his daddy is in the first place. Imagine, your organization is about to enter the two most important contract negotiations in it's history and you tag freakin' Stan Bowman to be your point-man on those negotiations? Like holy shit, it's beyond moronic.

You can't tell me any of the Oilers current staff now reporting to Bowman are excited about this. Great culture they are building up there (sarcasm). If there is a silver lining here, it may be the first domino that leads to Draisaitl and McDavid telling the Oilers to go kick rocks and get the heck out of Edmonton.
I'd give it a week or two to see how this shakes out.......This could very well end up like the Mike Babcock/Columbus fiasco and he'll be gone due to backlash.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Bowman's allegedly made genuine efforts to learn from his mistakes, to educate himself

Imagine a grown ass man needing to learn why he shouldn't cover up sexual assault before writing letters of recommendation for the rapist. He didn't use the wrong f***ing fork at dinner.

I'm all for second chances, but some things should definitively end your right to work in the NHL. Let him stock shelves if he needs the money.
Second chances do not mean you have a right to go back to the area where you committed your crimes.

Bank robbers lose their ability to work in banks. Corruption should mean you cannot return to politics or as a public servant. Verbal, emotional, or physical abuse of a student should mean you are done as a teacher permanently. You want to earn trust back then it cannot be in the same field. You lost that opportunity. Time to look at retiring or going into another field.

Yes, we can learn and grow. We also have consequences to our actions we have to bear regardless of our response.

Stan Bowman should have been told he was retired years ago by Bettman himself.

@NHLFail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad