Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Need Atkinson to actually produce at a decent clip and Hagel to not go on a long goal-less drought if he's on the 2nd line. But I like your points here.

Atkinson is a big wildcard, Flyer fans hated him but I see a really good fit. He's feisty, fast, can shoot, and will go to the scoring areas. He's a volume shooter, something this team needs.

I see the instant success this team had with Duclair and think this can be replicated, if he can stay healthy.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Atkinson is a big wildcard, Flyer fans hated him but I see a really good fit. He's feisty, fast, can shoot, and will go to the scoring areas. He's a volume shooter, something this team needs.

I see the instant success this team had with Duclair and think this can be replicated, if he can stay healthy.
He went through a long cold stretch where he didn't finish on chances for awhile and then went invisible. But Flyers fans have the deadly combination of being passionate but generally not that intelligent when it comes to hockey knowledge, so they rage far too easily.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Atkinson is also 35. Signed for 900K what do you really expect. Doubt he gets near 20 goals, but would happily take the production. We have to try multiple players to fill the top 6 hole but realistically he's a 3rd to 4th liner at this point

I expect 20-20, maybe better if he sees significant PP time because of his righty shot

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
i still remember gourde’s long ass scoring drought which didn’t mean anything in the end. though at 35 atkinson might just be done

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
People expecting Atkinson to get up to 20 goals are in for a bad time. In all fairness any production greater than 20 points is gravy considering the contract, but yeah 20-20 is a pipe dream.

Nothing wrong with this opinion, I think he was just a bad fit in Philly.

Let's see who's correct.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
i still remember gourde’s long ass scoring drought which didn’t mean anything in the end. though at 35 atkinson might just be done
The big question is... do you remember this board's attitude toward Gourde at that time?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If Stamkos is "basically just a 30G guy at 34", it would be a miracle if a 35 yr old washed up Atkinson can hit 20G.

Reactions: T REX

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Atkinson doesn't have a 5M+ cap hit...
Yeah, wasn't comparing the two. All I mean is, we jump to the "this guy is terrible" button way too quickly sometimes. I think we might be there with Perbix right now.

If Stamkos is "basically just a 30G guy at 34", it would be a miracle if a 35 yr old washed up Atkinson can hit 20G.
I don't think 20 is realistic at all. If we get 10, we should be pretty happy. There is always an outside chance he will click with someone and put up real numbers, but I don't think that's why he was acquired.

This MIGHT be a bit of a Shattenkirk situation though where he's coming here in hopes of scoring one last contract somewhere else. That would be great, actually.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If I had to see it, ya'll have to see it.

I'm fine with it. I think this may be the only way he fully grows into the player he was always meant to be. We pampered him too often and for FAR too long. I honestly think if he was still here we'd just be getting more of the same -that was never good enough to keep him around

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'm fine with it. I think this may be the only way he fully grows into the player he was always meant to be. We pampered him too often and for FAR too long. I honestly think if he was still here we'd just be getting more of the same -that was never good enough to keep him around
I'm just happy we got a decent return. Moser is a nice 2nd pair D, at worst an elite 3rd pair D. Geekie projects as a tough middle 6 scorer. And the picks were the cherry on top.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, wasn't comparing the two. All I mean is, we jump to the "this guy is terrible" button way too quickly sometimes. I think we might be there with Perbix right now.

I don't think 20 is realistic at all. If we get 10, we should be pretty happy. There is always an outside chance he will click with someone and put up real numbers, but I don't think that's why he was acquired.

This MIGHT be a bit of a Shattenkirk situation though where he's coming here in hopes of scoring one last contract somewhere else. That would be great, actually.

Him being bought out and signing a one year deal is pretty much where it begins and ends in comparison to Shattenkirk IMO. He's over 34. There's a better comparison, Corey Perry, who had to re-establish himself after his own major injury.

If Atkinson was a surefire 20g scorer, he'd have never been available for us. I think it's wrong to simply look at what he signed for and assume that's all he's good for though, the upside is there, he's got a few things going for him.

1. There aren't 6 better scoring forwards, he'll make line 2 if Paul is forced to 3C
2. He's got a lethal righty shot
3. He's a volume shooter, one of the better 5v5 shots/60
4. He generates tons of rebounds, 94th percentile on second chance assists/60

This team is desperate for a player like Atkinson. Any doubt, look what happened last year when we inserted a veteran shoot first burner into the team in Duclair, there's your blueprint.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Him being bought out and signing a one year deal is pretty much where it begins and ends in comparison to Shattenkirk IMO. He's over 34. There's a better comparison, Corey Perry, who had to re-establish himself after his own major injury.

If Atkinson was a surefire 20g scorer, he'd have never been available for us. I think it's wrong to simply look at what he signed for and assume that's all he's good for though, the upside is there, he's got a few things going for him.

1. There aren't 6 better scoring forwards, he'll make line 2 if Paul is forced to 3C

This team is desperate for a player like Atkinson. Any doubt, look what happened last year when we inserted a veteran shoot first burner into the team in Duclair, there's your blueprint.
This guy isn’t it JBB needs a top 6 forward still

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That sounds a lot like what we got with Shattenkirk though. We were told he wasn't even an NHLer anymore. Then he showed up... and was pretty good. Definitely better than anyone thought he was going to be. But he was also here because he saw it as an opportunity to revive his career. Yeah, Atkinson's older, but there are roles available on this team where a guy like this thrives.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Dude hit 20 goals 2 years ago and most of you guys talk like he's been done for years :laugh:
Even better than that, he’s scored 20+ goals in 7 of the past 10 seasons. Including seasons where he’s scored 41 and 35 goals. Two of the three seasons where he’s failed to score at least 20, he missed 38 and 26 games. Last year was an exception and not the rule. I think this will prove to be a sneaky good signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad