Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Curious why everyone was saying we had to trade Cirelli before July 1. CapFriendly says he doesn't have any trade protection until 25-26 season..
Yep we don’t and if he stinks we can move him at the 2025 nhl draft and open cap space if we want to

I don’t see us going after anyone else in free agency i think we sign moser and that’s it . If we do something else at forward trade option ?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Can we just take a moment and marvel at this:

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow
Maroon - Colton - TyJo

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Savard

Vasilevskiy
looks nice on paper but in reality that second line never worked for a second. everything else is pretty good

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
looks nice on paper but in reality that second line never worked for a second. everything else is pretty good
No shit. Between Killorn's cold streaks, Cirelli's go to move being suicide passes and Stamkos being forever stuck to them, I can honestly say it's one of the worse combinations I've ever seen. Not the worst but God they sucked and our coaching staff absolutely f***ing insisted on it until 2 of the guys were gone

Reactions: ccman68

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
We got 12 forwards signed now are we do adding forwards ?
Certainly hope not. Hopefully it's a subtraction/addition situation. And hopefully Vinik has at least told BriseBois that the negative backlash from the Stamkos exit best translate into a longer postseason run than last two seasons or he will have to evaluate his direct report's status with his team. And BriseBois can't be looking at that top 6 as job security.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Do what it takes to trade.Sheary, offer Tarasenko 3.6x3 and see if he'd like to stay in the state of Florida for the.next 3 seasons. He was projected at 4.15x2 on the one site, so this kind of offer wouldn't be that far off in terms of aav. After all the other signings and call ups, a.lineup of:

Guentzel-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Tank
Atkinson-Paul-Ace
Girg-Glendening-Chaffee
Goncalves/Aloneness

Hedman-Raddysh
McD-Cernak
Moser-Perbix
Lilleberg

Looks pretty solid. As long as Vasy is.back on form, they'd have a.shot at another rum no question. If Tarasenko won't come on over, they could increase the aav to 4.3 or so by gambling on just going with 12-7-2, or if not, just use the space to sign one of Sprong or Roslovic a bit cheaper. Ad long as Sheary isn't in ghe top 9 by season's start, that's a win.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Do what it takes to trade.Sheary, offer Tarasenko 3.6x3 and see if he'd like to stay in the state of Florida for the.next 3 seasons. He was projected at 4.15x2 on the one site, so this kind of offer wouldn't be that far off in terms of aav. After all the other signings and call ups, a.lineup of:

Guentzel-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Tank
Atkinson-Paul-Ace
Girg-Glendening-Chaffee
Goncalves/Aloneness

Hedman-Raddysh
McD-Cernak
Moser-Perbix
Lilleberg

Looks pretty solid. As long as Vasy is.back on form, they'd have a.shot at another rum no question. If Tarasenko won't come on over, they could increase the aav to 4.3 or so by gambling on just going with 12-7-2, or if not, just use the space to sign one of Sprong or Roslovic a bit cheaper. Ad long as Sheary isn't in ghe top 9 by season's start, that's a win.
Holy shit that's terrible for Tank.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Holy shit that's terrible for Tank.
Maybe, but he isn't signed.yet and who knows what he is being offered. Some of the estimates were just north of 4, so 3.6 isn't some terrible lowball offer. If Tampa traded Perbix as.well as Sheary, they could also bump the offer up to almost 3.9 and still run a 22 man roster, with the 3rd pair now either Moser-Crozier or Lilleberg-Moser with one of Crozier or Lilleberg as the 7D.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Maybe, but he isn't signed.yet and who knows what he is being offered. Some of the estimates were just north of 4, so 3.6 isn't some terrible lowball offer. If Tampa traded Perbix as.well as Sheary, they could also bump the offer up to almost 3.9 and still run a 22 man roster, with the 3rd pair now either Moser-Crozier or Lilleberg-Moser with one of Crozier or Lilleberg as the 7D.
Apparently he signed to Pittsburgh according to some internal email from them. But Tank is not good anymore. The only use he has is on the PP and if that was the case they would have kept Stammer.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Apparently he signed to Pittsburgh according to some internal email from them. But Tank is not good anymore. The only use he has is on the PP and if that was the case they would have kept Stammer.
He's not the top line or maybe high end 2nd line player he once was, but 20+ goals and 55-60 points is still realistic. If Tampa could get a player like that in ghe 3.5-4 range, it would be a very good addition.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As
After some time to let the roster sink in, I'm not really in love with it. I'm assuming JBB has one more move to fill that mid 6 winger spot, but other than that I don't really see us that better than the end of last year - if at all.

Guentzel will be more of a consistent upgrade over Stamkos, but he's not that much of an upgrade over the Stamkos that played against Florida. So that's kind of a wash at best. We go from Sergachev to McD and Moser. Should be an upgrade there. So defensively we should be more solid. Offensively, as it stands we are probably worse than the team was playing at the end of the year.
Yeah but Stamkos himself wasn't really the Stamkos that played Florida. I mean Guentzel vs. Stamkos+Duclair, yeah.

Can we just take a moment and marvel at this:

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow
Maroon - Colton - TyJo

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Savard

Vasilevskiy
The stars aligned. It's not even realistic to create that team again. We were head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
If Geekie can make the team and score 20+ goals or 50 points playing with Guentzel, we'd have two scoring lines and push Cirelli and Paul down to the third, giving us a decent top nine, even with it including Sheary (gag):

Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Guentzel - Geekie - Sheary
Paul - Cirelli - Atkinson

If not, I don't see our forward lines being improved enough to make a big enough of a difference over last year.

I don't know what Stamkos was willing to stay for, but I think JBB was right to look for a younger player. He went for the big name in free agency and overpaid like you always have to for the big names. I was interested in Teravainen because he is a good two way winger for the second line and I thought he'd be cheaper than Stamkos and require less term than the bigger names in free agency. Chicago signed him for 5.4 at 3 years. I think that would have been the better move allowing us to get another top nine forward (especially if we got rid of Sheary). We need will need one if Geekie doesn't make the team in a meaningful role.

I was against trading Sergachev, but I think JBB actually got a very good return for him. Maybe Sergachev does reach that #1 potential, but this deal should help us fill more holes in the roster. I hope Geekie is ready to make the team.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Just funny seeing how every non-Lightning fan thinks Sergachev was f***ing Bobby Orr out there for us. Clearly they haven't watched Lightning games consistently in several years and just looked at highlights and HockeyDB. He's just not a top pair defenseman based on his poor defensive zone play, pretty simple
I expect Sergachev to reach the next level in Utah. Just like Verhaeghe, J.T. Miller, Marchessault

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
If Geekie can make the team and score 20+ goals or 50 points playing with Guentzel, we'd have two scoring lines and push Cirelli and Paul down to the third, giving us a decent top nine, even with it including Sheary (gag):

Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Guentzel - Geekie - Sheary
Paul - Cirelli - Atkinson

If not, I don't see our forward lines being improved enough to make a big enough of a difference over last year.

I don't know what Stamkos was willing to stay for, but I think JBB was right to look for a younger player. He went for the big name in free agency and overpaid like you always have to for the big names. I was interested in Teravainen because he is a good two way winger for the second line and I thought he'd be cheaper than Stamkos and require less term than the bigger names in free agency. Chicago signed him for 5.4 at 3 years. I think that would have been the better move allowing us to get another top nine forward (especially if we got rid of Sheary). We need will need one if Geekie doesn't make the team in a meaningful role.

I was against trading Sergachev, but I think JBB actually got a very good return for him. Maybe Sergachev does reach that #1 potential, but this deal should help us fill more holes in the roster. I hope Geekie is ready to make the team.
I don't think that Geekie will be ready for the NHL yet. Looks the kind of player that needs at least one season in AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad