Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I wonder if Anaheim and Verbeek would do:

Sheary + LA's 2nd + Utah's 2nd

for

Vatrano

Vatarano can play the top 6, 30 years old, signed for 1 more year at 3.65M, 37 goals last season.
Vatrano would be very expensive to get after his career year. If I remember correctly at the TDL many teams did their due diligence on him and said to the insiders that the price was very steep

Reactions: Outl4w

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
That's how bad off we are...smdh. this team is stuck in neutral. Thanks JBB. The value is signing stammer cheap was there. Let's be honest...this window is shut. We could've extended it 2 years. Now? We'll be lucky to make the playoffs
Good to see some things do not change. I hadn't really been on this board much in the past few years but it's good to see T REX is still just as optimistic as always.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
That's how bad off we are...smdh. this team is stuck in neutral. Thanks JBB. The value is signing stammer cheap was there. Let's be honest...this window is shut. We could've extended it 2 years. Now? We'll be lucky to make the playoffs
The Cup window is probably shut. I'm more so wondering if we continue in Penguins/Capitals post contention stage of barely making/missing, or if an unintentional tank will be coming soon. Not optimistic, but I'm not expecting anything great, so I won't be as disappointed/angry as I was with most of 2023-24.

Reactions: T REX

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah Steven Stamkos was really going to keep our window open :laugh:
With Jake? Yes. A 1 for 1 trade off doesn't make us significantly better. Jake's gonna be 30.

Let me explain why stammer is playing well in his mid 30s...less mileage. Those injuries actually extended his final days. Jmho but it makes sense.

The team is not significantly better

• Haha
Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
With Jake? Yes. A 1 for 1 trade off doesn't make us significantly better. Jake's gonna be 30.

Let me explain why stammer is playing well in his mid 30s...less mileage. Those injuries actually extended his final days. Jmho but it makes sense.

The team is not significantly better

Steven Stamkos' injuries made him more durable and he's a game breaker that makes you into a contender, now I've heard it all.

Guentzel has 12 less playoff goals than Stamkos in half the amount of games :laugh:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Steven Stamkos' injuries made him more durable and he's a game breaker that makes you into a contender, now I've heard it all.

Guentzel has 12 less playoff goals than Stamkos in half the amount of games :laugh:
That's not what I said.

He has less mileage than other 16 year vets.

Man...you're gonna be disappointed again thus year. Sorry

My bad. We are so gonna win the cup this year.

Sorry I'll start towing the company line. JBB is the best GM in the nhl. Every decision he makes is epic! My bad.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's not what I said.

He has less mileage than other 16 year vets.

Man...you're gonna be disappointed again thus year. Sorry

Stamkos has played 2nd most games in his draft class :laugh: :laugh:

You do know other players get injured too right? Are you assuming every other player has played healthy their entire careers?

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not entirely sure what the hold up, considering woth FA you have to be lretty quick. As we've seen majority of the worthy players are gone.

Is the Moser contract holding things up? Maybe JBB has faith in Geekie cracking the lineup?

We all know Sheary usbstarting 2nd line winger, but we still need at least one more signing with, say, roughly 2.5 - 3 mil to spend. But I think he holds onto that for TDL

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Not entirely sure what the hold up, considering woth FA you have to be lretty quick. As we've seen majority of the worthy players are gone.

Is the Moser contract holding things up? Maybe JBB has faith in Geekie cracking the lineup?

We all know Sheary usbstarting 2nd line winger, but we still need at least one more signing with, say, roughly 2.5 - 3 mil to spend. But I think he holds onto that for TDL
I hope the hold up is him working him kidnapping Roslovic's family so he signs cheap.

Reactions: Outl4w

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
what we need to do is just throw some random dude on the first line and have point and kuch carry them. Guentzel-Cirelli-Hagel works as the second line. i would try dylan duke on the top line he can just sit in front of the net and have kuch shoot pucks off his ass and in

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
what we need to do is just throw some random dude on the first line and have point and kuch carry them. Guentzel-Cirelli-Hagel works as the second line. i would try dylan duke on the top line he can just sit in front of the net and have kuch shoot pucks off his ass and in
I somehow completely forgot about Duke. I think he's behind Geekie on the prospect depth chart, but his hockey IQ could give him an opportunity to get games this year in Tampa, presuming he does well in Syracuse.

Reactions: ccman68

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Roslovic should be excited to play in Tampa. He didn't get a fair shot in Winnipeg, he got too comfortable in his hometown playing for a dysfunctional Columbus, and he was chastised every shift he wasn't great while in New York.
I am down with Roslovic. I don't actually hate Cirelli. It's just that I've been watching him for 4 years and I know his go to moves are either

1. Suicide pass into double coverage when pressured

2. Dump it to the wall to Stamkos on his backhand where Stamkos would promptly lose possession

It's not gonna change with some different winger. Put Cirelli on line 3 and let him eat the hard match ups. He will score 40 points no matter what and give us near Selke defense.

He's a bit overpaid for it but that's worth it to me to see him used effectively

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
I wonder if Anaheim and Verbeek would do:

Sheary + LA's 2nd + Utah's 2nd

for

Vatrano

Vatarano can play the top 6, 30 years old, signed for 1 more year at 3.65M, 37 goals last season.

Big factor is which Vasy we get. With better Defense, it leans to say that we should get a way better Vasy than last season. But the glaring issue is another Top 6 forward.
That seems to be the idea, they don't think Offense is the issue. They think the D allowed Vasi to be human. Too many screens, I don't see McC/Cernak pairing allowing that. That Pair allows Cooper to shut down a team and Vasi has shown he can play with them and win.

The Cup window is probably shut. I'm more so wondering if we continue in Penguins/Capitals post contention stage of barely making/missing, or if an unintentional tank will be coming soon. Not optimistic, but I'm not expecting anything great, so I won't be as disappointed/angry as I was with most of 2023-24.
Ok, barely making is a bit extreme. We were the top Wild Card team. Would have been better if we weren't! BOS was a better match up. FLA was the matchup we couldn't get.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Hedman is a defenseman so I suspect he is viewed differently than Stamkos, Palat or Killorn.

A study from 2014 found that:

Forwards perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 32 years old.
Forwards improve more quickly than they decline and typically begin "a significant decline in their early 30s".

D-men perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 34 years old. They improve and decline more slowly than forwards and do so very symmetrically.

Goalies on the other hand, performance varies little by age. At every age between 20 and 37, their save percentage is between 90 per cent and a tiny fraction over 91 per cent.
Logic, LOVE this!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad