Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
You've entirely missed the point, not to mention your assessment of some of those guys is just absurd . You don't want your best players bearing the brunt of the rough stuff night in and night out. Every team in the NHL has guys who try hard and don't shy away, so your list of players proving our "toughness" is completely meaningless and comes nowhere close to being formidable compared to other competitive teams.

I'd argue a major reason we lost in the first round is BECAUSE we lacked that secondary toughness/physicality. Perry and Colton were major contributors in those moments and the exact type of players you need to score goals when they're hard to come by. Maroon's game tailed off a bit but he was still effective down low, and calling him soft is laughable. But , not to be outdone by your ridiculous comment about Sergachev. Losing all of the character and physicality was a pretty glaring difference, not sure how anyone could try to debate that.

Look at the way contenders build their teams to go deep, and tell me with a straight face that this team is built to compete with that. Small, soft teams don't win. Simple as that. Girgensons is a step in the right direction but we're not there yet.

Edit- Don't try to tell me "we lost in the first round WITH those players" because we were easily the better team against Toronto and lost due to abnormally bad goaltending and a couple of choke jobs for the ages.

Id saying having a defense with Perbix de Han and Dumba in the top 6
&
having 0 secondary scoring and had no threat or game plan besides give the puck to Kucherov.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Mantha sucks man, like you can't imagine how much. Anyone but him. I rather have Jesnnot back
Well Jeannot has two years left on his deal, no shot, and is worthless when he isn't punching people. Sheary is worthless and done being a nhl forward. Mantha can at least score 20 goals and use his size to screen the goalie. Mantha isnt a star forward, but he is useful for 3.5 million. So JBB has no problem spending lots of picks for worese players than Mantha, paying 2.665 million for two years of nothing, and paying 3 years by 2 million for three years of nothing from Sheary. JBB is cheap and isn't making the right budget signing the last few years. We missed out of on so many guys that went cheap that would addressing issues on the 2nd line and bottom 6.
1719939644145.png

1719939654128.png

1719939678114.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RMF5630

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
There were rumblings Pageau was going to be bought out last week, was really hoping we could get him on a cheapish deal. He'd be a good fit, but doesn't look like it's happening.
Oh, that would be a great fit for the third line. I've always been a big fan of Pageau.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
What about we use Cirelli as trade chip and get Nečas from the Canes?
Obviously he'd require a new contract, most likely at least 1M higher than Cirelli (and on a shorter term). But we'd still be able to sign Moser and have a couple of millions still to sign a 2RW.
And, if the line to fill was Hagel - Nečas - ...., you can put there whoever you want and you'd get positive results.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Obviously he'd require a new contract, most likely at least 1M higher than Cirelli (and on a shorter term). But we'd still be able to sign Moser and have a couple of millions still to sign a 2RW.
And, if the line to fill was Hagel - Nečas - ...., you can put there whoever you want and you'd get positive results.
Sideways at best that would cost us more.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Advanced Analytics say otherwise. He's sneaky effective but can disappear for stretches.
HE multiple steps of Jeannot and Sheary combined.

I wouldn't be opposed it, but would want an extension in place.

Vegas signed Olofsson, for cheap. (1 year 1M)
Mantha was good last season, and has signed with the Flames (1 year 3.5M)

Also, these signings should be done by us as well. Get Boqvist at league min

JBB doesnt want to sign guys with skill and would rather have Sheary,Chaffee, and whoever else off the waiver wire down there.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
I'm not sure that trading a 45 point center for a 55 point winger is a good idea.

Reactions: T REX

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I'm not sure that trading a 45 point center for a 55 point winger is a good idea.
Necas can play center, and got 71 points in 22-23. He's got a ton more offensive potential than Cirelli, he's still responsible in the Dzone and has doesn't need to be carried in the Ozone

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I would be really pleased if JBB would trade away/buyout Sheary and replace him with Alex Nylander.
Can we, please? Thank you.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
After some time to let the roster sink in, I'm not really in love with it. I'm assuming JBB has one more move to fill that mid 6 winger spot, but other than that I don't really see us that better than the end of last year - if at all.

Guentzel will be more of a consistent upgrade over Stamkos, but he's not that much of an upgrade over the Stamkos that played against Florida. So that's kind of a wash at best. We go from Sergachev to McD and Moser. Should be an upgrade there. So defensively we should be more solid. Offensively, as it stands we are probably worse than the team was playing at the end of the year.

• Wow

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder if Anaheim and Verbeek would do:

Sheary + LA's 2nd + Utah's 2nd

for

Vatrano

Vatarano can play the top 6, 30 years old, signed for 1 more year at 3.65M, 37 goals last season.

After some time to let the roster sink in, I'm not really in love with it. I'm assuming JBB has one more move to fill that mid 6 winger spot, but other than that I don't really see us that better than the end of last year - if at all.

Guentzel is an upgrade to Stamkos, but he's not that much of an upgrade over the Stamkos that played against Florida. So that's kind of a wash at best. We go from Sergachev to McD and Moser. Should be an upgrade there. So defensively we should be more solid. Offensively, as it stands we are probably worse that the team was playing at the end of the year.
Big factor is which Vasy we get. With better Defense, it leans to say that we should get a way better Vasy than last season. But the glaring issue is another Top 6 forward.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Who will play with Point and Kuch on the 1st line? Guentzel or Hagel?

And going from there who’s the 3rd man next to Cirelli (lol) on the 2nd line? Paul (ugh), Sheary (kill me) or player X (acquired via signing or trade)?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Well Jeannot has two years left on his deal, no shot, and is worthless when he isn't punching people. Sheary is worthless and done being a nhl forward. Mantha can at least score 20 goals and use his size to screen the goalie. Mantha isnt a star forward, but he is useful for 3.5 million. So JBB has no problem spending lots of picks for worese players than Mantha, paying 2.665 million for two years of nothing, and paying 3 years by 2 million for three years of nothing from Sheary. JBB is cheap and isn't making the right budget signing the last few years. We missed out of on so many guys that went cheap that would addressing issues on the 2nd line and bottom 6.
View attachment 891370
View attachment 891371
View attachment 891372
The Mantha you're getting is not the one of last season. Think more of the ones before that. Just like what happened with Jeannot.

And yes, Sheary is useless, we all know that.

Who will play with Point and Kuch on the 1st line? Guentzel or Hagel?
Should be Guentzel

Pacioretty is still available. Proven goalscorer

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
JBB doesnt want to sign guys with skill and would rather have Sheary,Chaffee, and whoever else off the waiver wire down there.
I do recall JBB trading for 3rd liners that seemed to have some skill named Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
That's how bad off we are...smdh. this team is stuck in neutral. Thanks JBB. The value is signing stammer cheap was there. Let's be honest...this window is shut. We could've extended it 2 years. Now? We'll be lucky to make the playoffs
Ok bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad