Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The more I think about it, we probably just put Guentzel in Stammers spot and figure it out from there. Probably more movement needed without Stammers one timer but I think Kuch can orchestrate from other places besides the half wall

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
lol JBB moved out of Yzerman’s shadow when he won the Cup.

Moser plays both sides and even if he anchors the third pair, when we need to hold a lead and close out games I foresee he will be paired with Hedman
Sure he help fill final pieces, but does he have respect he wants from his peers? If fans feel this way, can only imagine what GM's meeting are like for BriseBois. Pride and ego are powerful, one should never underestimate their ability to make one do irrational and stupid. BriseBois after this Stamkos ordeal opened the door to stupid. And good reasons to why some might be trying to figure out why he did it so nasty, misleading, etc.

BriseBois did a few good trades to a stacked team in 2020. But he's also made plenty of bad moves since then. Suppose Yzerman could be compared to someone who spent life building a house. So that house would survive the huge storm, but storm never came. Then new person moves in and adds a few window storm coverings. Then huge nasty storm comes not long after and house survives. Who helped house more so? Both did, but still..... I've given BriseBois major credit for moves he made, but at same time give Yzerman his due too. The million dollar question, has BriseBois come to terms with this at GM meetings and such? No matter, after this Stamkos ordeal... The GM can kick rocks and don't care what he gets credit for. He's ruined that legacy and ironically cemented Yzerman's legacy more so.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Or … it’s just business and his job is to make the team better. He acquired the top free agent available, a 29 year old. And he decided not to pay an aging sentimental favorite. It’s gonna be OK. Especially when you take your emotions out of the equation

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
A big question is what system are they rolling with next season, that's what I want to know.

The one this season didn't work. Will there be adjustments or stubbornness to keep at it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The more I think about it, we probably just put Guentzel in Stammers spot and figure it out from there. Probably more movement needed without Stammers one timer but I think Kuch can orchestrate from other places besides the half wall
I watched some highlights today and Guentzel played around the net. I think he takes the bumper/net front presence, Point can still stick in the slot.

Probably Hagel in the Stamkos spot.

Expect Kuch to be double teamed at all times. They don't have to take away the Stamkos one-timer anymore

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
BriseBois did a few good trades to a stacked team in 2020. But he's also made plenty of bad moves since then. Suppose Yzerman could be compared to someone who spent life building a house. So that house would survive the huge storm, but storm never came. Then new person moves in and adds a few window storm coverings. Then huge nasty storm comes not long after and house survives. Who helped house more so? Both did, but still..... I've given BriseBois major credit for moves he made, but at same time give Yzerman his due too. The million dollar question, has BriseBois come to terms with this at GM meetings and such? No matter, after this Stamkos ordeal... The GM can kick rocks and don't care what he gets credit for. He's ruined that legacy and ironically cemented Yzerman's legacy more so.
Woof what a terrible terrible post…

Julien Brisebois was one of the brightest young executive in hockey. He had a big impact in working on the reform of the constitution of the QJMHL before he was 24 yrs old.

He then spent 9 years working for Montreal, became their youngest VP of Hockey Operation and managed the Canadiens’s AHL affiliate to the Calder Cup.

One of the first move that Steve Yzerman did in 2010 when he became the Tampa Bay Lightning GM was to poach Julien Brisebois from Montreal.

That was a brilliant move by Yzerman, as Brisebois was already a master with anything related to collective bargaining agreements and contracts negotiations, plus he had the Quebec territory on lock down.

You think Yzerman built this house brick by brick alone, and Brisebois came in after to put on a few windows !?

They built this thing together from day one. Julien Brisebois was involved in all aspects of player personnel decisions, analytics, player development, contract preparation and negotiation.

Brisebois’ reputation among his peers and the rest of the hockey world is excellent.

Yzerman’s legacy as a GM ?

One things I will give him is that smart executives surround themselves with smarter people than them, and/or with complementary skills. And he did just that with Brisebois in Tampa Bay. That was the foundation upon was everything else was built.

Now let’s see if he can replicate his success without leaning on JBB.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa can still add a middle 6 F, the value of them depends on whether Sheary is on the team or not. They have 6.65 right now, so after Moser around.2.5 let's say, Lilleberg at 870k, and Goncalves/Motte/another Syracuse F in the ~800k range, Tampa will have around 2.45-2.55 left to.add someone. If Sheary is waived and not claimed, this number goes to 3.65-3.75 for two players. If he's bought out, 3.85-3.95, and if traded with no retention, ~4.5 would be available for 2 F spots. There is still a chance that Tampa could add a significant middle 6 F anywhere from 3-3.7 million, largely depending on Sheary's future with the team. Since his m-ntc just went into effect today, I'm still hopeful that JBB can find a taker.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I had to take time to digest this. Had to take some time away, this move on Stamkos really made me question things. I came to the conclusion for the first time, I actually full heartedly want the GM fired. The lack of class showed during this debacle has left me jarred. It's not the fact that we moved on from Stamkos, but in the way we did it. This isn't a franchise to be proud of. This isn't a classy organization that Vinik set out to create.

In life when you meet someone shady, or someone that is two faced. Your best to cut your losses and kick them out of your life. You will be better off for it. It's time to cut JBB loose.

Never was a fan of him, but I never was disgusted with him. He lost a lot of respect as a GM from me with the way he treated a guy as important to our franchise as Stamkos was. He needs to be fired Yesterday. Get him the F out.

Reactions: T REX

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I had to take time to digest this. Had to take some time away, this move on Stamkos really made me question things. I came to the conclusion for the first time, I actually full heartedly want the GM fired. The lack of class showed during this debacle has left me jarred. It's not the fact that we moved on from Stamkos, but in the way we did it. This isn't a franchise to be proud of. This isn't a classy organization that Vinik set out to create.

In life when you meet someone shady, or someone that is two faced. Your best to cut your losses and kick them out of your life. You will be better off for it. It's time to cut JBB loose.

Never was a fan of him, but I never was disgusted with him. He lost a lot of respect as a GM from me with the way he treated a guy as important to our franchise as Stamkos was. He needs to be fired Yesterday. Get him the F out.
Yep JBB played us all thinking he legit wanted to sign Stamkos he didn’t because if he did he could have offered him 5.5 million per season and he would probably be here.

After the season he should have stated that they were going to move on from Stamkos because he wants to retool / rebuild and that would have been fine . You don’t offer Stamkos 3 million per year for 8 years he isn’t Nick Paul he’s a hall of famer.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Tampa can still add a middle 6 F, the value of them depends on whether Sheary is on the team or not. They have 6.65 right now, so after Moser around.2.5 let's say, Lilleberg at 870k, and Goncalves/Motte/another Syracuse F in the ~800k range, Tampa will have around 2.45-2.55 left to.add someone. If Sheary is waived and not claimed, this number goes to 3.65-3.75 for two players. If he's bought out, 3.85-3.95, and if traded with no retention, ~4.5 would be available for 2 F spots. There is still a chance that Tampa could add a significant middle 6 F anywhere from 3-3.7 million, largely depending on Sheary's future with the team. Since his m-ntc just went into effect today, I'm still hopeful that JBB can find a taker.
I'm going to bed. Maybe too much turkey in that Pub Wrap I ate but I eeked this one out prior to logging off.

Fire away!

Picture4.png

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

Watching Stammer sign for 8m, I'm still surprised people have this opinion. Is it not obvious that Stammer willing to sign for 4-5 was a total lie created by his agent? He wanted 8 from Nashville, but would stay here for 3-4 less? Nope, not a chance.

People are still trashing JBB, but it's clear as day Stammer asked for too much money, and then his side lied about how much he was truly asking for. JBB offered what we could afford and Stammer didn't want it, that's how things went. Stammer wanted at least 7, maybe 6.5 at the absolute worst, and JBB couldn't, and wouldn't do that. It was the right move.

Stammer wasn't "treated poorly", he was never signing for 4-5, ever. Like literally ever. His side leaked that fake number so that fans would side with Stammer and blame JBB instead. It clearly worked.

• Haha
Reactions: RLP55 and T REX

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Watching Stammer sign for 8m, I'm still surprised people have this opinion. Is it not obvious that Stammer willing to sign for 4-5 was a total lie created by his agent? He wanted 8 from Nashville, but would stay here for 3-4 less? Nope, not a chance.

People are still trashing JBB, but it's clear as day Stammer asked for too much money, and then his side lied about how much he was truly asking for. JBB offered what we could afford and Stammer didn't want it, that's how things went. Stammer wanted at least 7, maybe 6.5 at the absolute worst, and JBB couldn't, and wouldn't do that. It was the right move.

Stammer wasn't "treated poorly", he was never signing for 4-5, ever. Like literally ever. His side leaked that fake number so that fans would side with Stammer and blame JBB instead. It clearly worked.
Link to Stammer lying please. Thanks. These posts are embarrassing.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

Ya, Stamkos doesn’t have a track record of showing loyalty and taking significant hometown discounts.

The point of leaking a smaller number would be… what again? Matter of fact, one would think it would hurt stamkos chances at a bigger number in free agency if his career team is offering him not market value.

Reactions: T REX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad