Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Still dont get the Guentzel hype, hes gonna be 30 when the season starts. has scored 40 goals only twice, and has only topped 80 points once
He's def not the end all be all. He's a really good player though. I think people (esspecially die hard like on these boards) are just over Stamkos so guys like this just seem like world beaters.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Still dont get the Guentzel hype, hes gonna be 30 when the season starts. has scored 40 goals only twice, and has only topped 80 points once
there is more to hockey than points. stamkos scores a lot of points every year but just doesn't do much other than on the powerplay

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Look at his playoff resume and his game elevation come playoff time, look at his 5v5 advanced stats. He's very good.
i know hes good but i feel like we shouldnt be paying anything over 8m for a 30 year old when we dont even want to pay our captain 4m

So I see it reported that by acquiring his rights before July 1st, Lightning can still offer 8 years - is that not the case?
Max we can offer is 7 years. pretty sure its a new rule that a player has to be on the roster by the deadline to get the 8 year deal

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
With Guentzel our top 6 looks like it'll be f***ing great with or without Stammer. Our defense actually looks competent on paper.

If we give Guentzel $8.5M we'll have $8M left to spend on 2 forward slots. Whether one of those includes Stammer remains to be seen. Either way:

1692886961898.png

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
one thing to remember is how shit our pp was in the playoffs. your pp can go cold at any point no matter how good it is so getting players that are better at 5v5 is just the way to go.

i would love for stamkos to play his whole career here but it's just not always easy to try and win the cup and keep everyone happy

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I'm really hoping it's just 8. I'd be over the moon for 7.5. I'm happy we're gonna potential sign him, but a tad worried about the $$$
well he wanted 8x8, but looks like he said i could get more elsewhere when Carolina said they would match that. im gonna go out on a limb and say 7x8.75

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Why not just wait till tomorrow? Deal had better get done today and be a good one
Because FA is the Wild West.
Because we already lost Hanifin by speculating he'd get to us in FA.

Now let's just hope we can sign him today lol, but I'm pretty positive that if they traded for his rights they already felt out Guentzel intentions.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Yeah, I get trading for his rights rather than Carolina trading him elsewhere who would dangle an obscene salary in front of him. Wish it didn't have to be a third but I'm sure Carolina was saying they had that or better from another GM.

Hopefully, we aren't the ones offering the obscene salary though.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Why not just wait till tomorrow? Deal had better get done today and be a good one
Had the same first impression, but I guess it counts as a JBB bargaining tactic to make the roster as appealing as possible to get Stammer to take less than he wants.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
As others have said, JBB is telling Stamkos the organization values him the same as Nick Paul.
No it isn't. They aren't the same age. Paul was 27 when he signed. Stammer is 34.
Do you think Stamkos is gonna play 8 more years? He's gonna play like 3 or 4 more, then LTIR.
Which basically makes JBB's offer a 6M AAV. Just diluted over a longer period of time.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Had the same first impression, but I guess it counts as a JBB bargaining tactic to make the roster as appealing as possible to get Stammer to take less than he wants.

I feel like it would do the opposite, not with the current context surrounding the team.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I feel like it would do the opposite, not with the current context surrounding the team.
Yeah, Stammer not being the #1 option hurts. He was the franchise guy. I think its basically over, but JBB signing the big Fa and now seeing what he has capwise could maybe have him finally say "okay, here's your 5m you asked for"

I'm really hoping for a miracle that after Guentzel is signed, Stammer will soon follow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad