Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
one thing i wonder is how much money we are gonna need to give moser... jbb was calling him a top 4 D so good luck giving him bottom pair money after that

Would be hard to deny he's a top 4 defender after being on the Yotes top pairing the last two years and playing well.

I wouldn't bridge him unless we are desperate for the cap space, he's a perfect fit to get Hedman's and McDonagh's minutes moving forward. You know JBB is licking his chops to hand out another 8 year deal when it makes sense to do it.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I'm so happy we got JJ Moser. Good Dman but still lot of room to grow.
Being able to play and train with Hedman and McDonagh will make him improve quite a bit IMO

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's not quite so bad. With Cirelli, there is at least the opportunity for him to earn his money. It's not so much that HE NEEDS pp time to do it. But yeah, in general. I still feel like if he's hitting 45 points and shutting down the other team's best guys, it's not bad. The problem last year, to me, was more on the shut down side.

How do you see the lines looking again with him as 3C?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
JBB said teams are trying to trade players to Tampa now that they know we have a lot of cap space. Wonder who these larger contract players are. Any ideas?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This is so trashy.

No matter where you stand on Stamkos' value or regression, you cannot argue that this is a disrespectful offer to the captain and face of the franchise. This isn't even pretending to be competitive. As others have said, JBB is telling Stamkos the organization values him the same as Nick Paul.

This is not how world class organizations act. You can pretend that is "shrewd" but fact remains this type of ignorance isn't even in the best interests of the on-ice product from a value standpoint.

I'm firmly in favor of what's best for the team. The team over individuals. Tough decisions. The Lightning are my favorite team/organization ever. But sometimes it's OK to accept that even they can do some really tone-deaf things.

A final offer of 3x8 is simply unacceptable.

Last edited:

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Hedman expected to get a raise on his next contract. I wonder by how much

Hedman's AAV was 7.85m, that's one of the most team friendly contracts in NHL history if you ask me. I said in another thread that we should give him a three year extension for 7.5, but if it comes in at 8-8.5, so be it. He's not the same player he once was but neither is Stammer, and if I had to pick one of them to stay it's Hedman by a mile.

According to Capfriendly, Hedman has signed contracts totaling 93.5m for his career, for Stammer it's 116.675m. Stammer has played one more season than Hedman, obviously. They're both HOF players, I don't at all mind if Hedman catches up a bit with what Stammer has made for his career, he deserves it.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Has Stamkos murdered JBB's family member/f***ed his wife/kicked his dog etc? It's ridiculous to not go over 3M for a guy who still puts up big numbers. Who cares if his cap number is at 3 or 5M in a few years when our best defensemen are ready for a retirement home and we'll suck anyway? I was against offering him a huge AAV but JBB is not operating in reality if he thinks Stamkos should take that deal.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I don't know the reasons, if there even are any, but factoring in JBB trying to trade Stammer a few years ago and it's possible we simply don't want him back. Throw out a contract offer just to say we did, knowing he won't accept, and let him leave. I figured when we made the trades yesterday it was to keep him, but now that JBB won't budge on his offer that obviously wasn't the case.

This front office believes we can win without him, or there's more to the story that we don't, and maybe never will, know.

Or JBB is simply banking on him coming back, knowing he really wants to, and doesn't care if Stammer likes how he's going about it.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

Wow, nice addition, but why give up a pick when he was probably coming here regardless? So basically we own his rights for one day, giving us time to negotiate, or is there a rule I'm unaware of that gives you more time to negotiate under this scenario?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Wow, nice addition, but why give up a pick when he was probably coming here regardless? So basically we own his rights for one day, giving us time to negotiate, or is there a rule I'm unaware of that gives you more time to negotiate under this scenario?
This is basically taking all the risk out of tomorrow. Lock him up now before any shenanigans can happen on 7/1

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
apparently its to get the 8th year but i think the new rule is they have to be on roster at the deadline so not sure what the plan was

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
My guess is the Stamkos situation has made the Guentzel acquisition all that more critical, and JBB wants to lock him up today to take any external factors out of it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
apparently its to get the 8th year but i think the new rule is they have to be on roster at the deadline so not sure what the plan was
You are correct, we can still only offer 7 years.

But there's plenty of teams interested so JBB wants a leg up in hopes he c get something done today. Would be hilarious if he still went to FA

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Hedman's AAV was 7.85m, that's one of the most team friendly contracts in NHL history if you ask me. I said in another thread that we should give him a three year extension for 7.5, but if it comes in at 8-8.5, so be it. He's not the same player he once was but neither is Stammer, and if I had to pick one of them to stay it's Hedman by a mile.

According to Capfriendly, Hedman has signed contracts totaling 93.5m for his career, for Stammer it's 116.675m. Stammer has played one more season than Hedman, obviously. They're both HOF players, I don't at all mind if Hedman catches up a bit with what Stammer has made for his career, he deserves it.
I love Heddy, but he should not be getting more than 7.5

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Can't get the 8th year. This will just be a 7x term. My guess is Guentzel told Tampa he will be happy to sign there. Tampa basically gives up a 3rd just to clear potential overpays by competition tomorrow.

Reactions: The Gongshow

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
At the very least we've potentiall picked up a top 6 forward and known playoff beast.

Guentzel - Point - Kuch
Hagel - Cirelli - ???

Can't get the 8th year. This will just be a 7x term. My guess is Guentzel told Tampa he will be happy to sign there. Tampa basically gives up a 3rd just to clear potential overpays by competition tomorrow.
Yeup. Idk which contenders have alot of cap, but someone can always swoop in.

JBB doesn't want anothet Hanafin situation

Reactions: Zwui21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad