Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Speculating do we know which it is? I'd think Pitt would back the Brinks truck up to him and it's him who wants out.
In terms of the speculation, yeah, it's that Crosby sees the writing on the wall. In the event that he asks out, there is probably a short list of teams he would want to play for. No idea if we would be on it.

If Crosby were traded (I still think it's pretty unlikely, and mainly click bait for Canadians), it would be for one year of him. I would give up a lot for one year of Crosby, as long as salary is going out too. Thus, when he walked, we would have a lot of space to work with. Our only trade piece that gets us close is Cirelli. I mean, Cirelli for Crosby in most circumstances is nuts. But it's one year of Crosby, in a situation where he has given the Pens a limited number of teams to work with.

One can dream.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
In terms of the speculation, yeah, it's that Crosby sees the writing on the wall. In the event that he asks out, there is probably a short list of teams he would want to play for. No idea if we would be on it.

If Crosby were traded (I still think it's pretty unlikely, and mainly click bait for Canadians), it would be for one year of him. I would give up a lot for one year of Crosby, as long as salary is going out too. Thus, when he walked, we would have a lot of space to work with. Our only trade piece that gets us close is Cirelli. I mean, Cirelli for Crosby in most circumstances is nuts. But it's one year of Crosby, in a situation where he has given the Pens a limited number of teams to work with.

One can dream.
I don't know what is crazier. The idea of Pittsburgh ever trading Crosby. Or the idea of Crosby (being the competitor he is) just saying "meh that's okay" while the Penguins toil in mediocrity, never competing for a championship in his tenure again.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Crosby has put up MVP-lite seasons the last 2 years and his team has missed the playoffs in both - I'm not sure he wants to do that for the rest of his career. Yeah it'd suck for him to put on another jersey but I don't know how many years you want to waste when you're still performing pretty damn well.

Would be pretty funny if this was JBB's long term big brain play.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We still need a forward.
Sprong, JVR, Labanc, TJ, Yamamoto, Cousins
who would you sign?

I’d offer TJ or Labanc a PTO but I wouldn’t commit any more one-way contracts to this group. Still hoping we can do something via trade.

Sprong and Yamamoto are good enough to get paid modest contracts but not worth it for us. Cousins is the wrong type of player.

EDIT - Nvm on Yamamoto, didn’t realize how much he fell off. I thought he turned it around in Seattle.

Last edited:

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
I’d offer TJ or Labanc a PTO but I wouldn’t commit any more one-way contracts to this group. Still hoping we can do something via trade.

Sprong and Yamamoto are good enough to get paid modest contracts but not worth it for us. Cousins is the wrong type of player.

EDIT - Nvm on Yamamoto, didn’t realize how much he fell off. I thought he turned it around in Seattle.
I think Sprong would be a good signing. He can dominate offensively against other fourth lines while Girg and Glendening will help him defensively.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I thought everyone here was shitting on Johnson for his last two seasons here. Do we suddenly want him back?
I have had time to think about it. If we play Johnson on the 3rd line and sometimes on the 2nd powerplay unit, it's fine. He's an okay depth player. Not great but you can do far worse. I only shit on him as far as if we expect him to be our answer at the top 6 then we are truly screwed.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Another thing I don’t like is that our D group is one of the worst in the league in terms of offensive talent. Maybe it's a good idea to sign a guy like Tyson Barrie? He can even play on the 1st PP so Hedman can get more 5v5 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad