Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If Stamkos takes something like 6.1x3, moving Jeannot, Sheary and Perbix works. They end up with 10.825 after all 3 moves, and then after they'd sign Stamkos, move Lilleberg and Crozier back up, and promote a Crunch F, they'd have around 2.2 for 1-2 F spots(all dependent on if they are willing to roll a 21 or 22 player roster). Cirelli doesn't have to be moved for it to work at that number.
Ya but nobody wants Sheary or Jeannot unless we feed a team draft picks with them

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Ya but nobody wants Sheary or Jeannot unless we feed a team draft picks with them
And yet, they have to be moved in order to really make it work. Moving Cirelli alone isn't the answer, as you end up in the same situation as the one I posted(with ~450k of additional space). After Stamkos at 6 1 and ghe 7th dman(either Lilleberg or Crozier), the team would have approximately 4.3 left for 3 F. You end up in the same boat, except now with no Cirelli, still having bad option like Jeannot and Sheary around, and all you've done is replace Cirelli with a ~2.5 million player while still having no additional top 6 add or better depth add for the 3rd line

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't think JBB sees it that way. I think he envisions Serge playing in the top 4 with Hedman, Cernak and McD.
This. Neither of our LD will be considered 3rd line/pair.

Mac is getting 20+ a night
Serg is getting 20+ a night and playing shifts at RD with Hedman
Hedman is getting 20 a night, although he should get less to keep him as healthy and rested as possible, but also not putting too much on Mac who is also 35

We have alot of money tied up on the left side, sure, but we can't deny we've seen the success this LD core has done for us. Bringing Mac back instantly improved our D, albeit at the coat of more cap which wr barely have to begin with.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This. Neither of our LD will be considered 3rd line/pair.

Mac is getting 20+ a night
Serg is getting 20+ a night and playing shifts at RD with Hedman
Hedman is getting 20 a night, although he should get less to keep him as healthy and rested as possible, but also not putting too much on Mac who is also 35

We have alot of money tied up on the left side, sure, but we can't deny we've seen the success this LD core has done for us. Bringing Mac back instantly improved our D, albeit at the coat of more cap which wr barely have to begin with.

Yes, when the cost was significantly different... people do understand this right?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yes, when the cost was significantly different... people do understand this right?
Serg is the only difference at LD, but he's still young enough (and took a big leap offensively) that you don't move him yet. Unless you want 38 year old McDonagh and 35 year old Hedman to be our future. At this point the transition should come for them to be the #2 or 3 guy and Serg hopefully, becoming the true #1

There's nothing that can be done about the money JBB gave out. I'm not saying it's a good contract, but it's what they have and he isn't being moved, at least not for 2 more years.

Yall want someone gone with a larger contract gone? Cirelli is the most likely candidate , period.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Serg is the only difference at LD, but he's still young enough (and took a big leap offensively) that you don't move him yet. Unless you want 38 year old McDonagh and 35 year old Hedman to be our future. At this point the transition should come for them to be the #2 or 3 guy and Serg hopefully, becoming the true #1

There's nothing that can be done about the money JBB gave out. I'm not saying it's a good contract, but it's what they have and he isn't being moved, at least not for 2 more years.

Yall want someone gone with a larger contract gone? Cirelli is the most likely candidate , period.

We don't care about the future, as proven by every move made in the last 2 years. It's win now, what difference is Sergachev going to make when this team out of it's window anyways? Nothing, I'd expect a full tear down after this teams window is done - don't see them holding onto a 29+ year old defenseman at that time.

There is absolutely something he can do, he built it into all 3 of those contracts he gave out.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

bov

Nov 13, 2010
8.5m on the 3rd pairing is the logic...barring a major positional change.
Getting caught up in which pairing is meaningless. He'll get his 20+ minutes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with spreading out the D to have 3 great pairs. He can always switch over to the right when needed. The game is so far beyond the stereotypes of "4th liner/bottom pair d", it's a load of crap.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Man, you know it’s already time for offseason doldrums when people start talking in circles. lol

I know at least one of you really, really thinks there’s no way to trade Cirelli and improve the team, but please allow me to simplify this possibility (which I think is a real option for JBB). Here it is … are you ready? You trade him for a top-6 forward still on his ELC.

What?! That’s crazy. But think of it like the Bolts are making a typical Tampa Bay Rays trade. You give up a coveted veteran for a talented youngster AND you get the bonus of freeing up all that delicious cap space.

Since Buffalo was mentioned as a logical trade partner, think about JBB asking for JJ Peterka and telling Buffalo’s GM that if he wants a multi Cup-winning playoff warrior, ya gotta pony up. Buffalo has enough scoring depth to consider it. And if it’s too rich, JBB could switch to Jack Quinn and a pick or another prospect or a wildcard like Krebs who is still developing and could still be a decent middle six guy in a coupla years. Oh and he’s also still on his ELC.

So, in summation: Trade Cirelli for a top-6 forward on an ELC. Sign Stammer. Trade Sheary, Perbix, Jeannot or whatever. Sign another FA to fill out the roster. OK. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Reactions: Stammertime91

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Man, you know it’s already time for offseason doldrums when people start talking in circles. lol

I know at least one of you really, really thinks there’s no way to trade Cirelli and improve the team, but please allow me to simplify this possibility (which I think is a real option for JBB). Here it is … are you ready? You trade him for a top-6 forward still on his ELC.

What?! That’s crazy. But think of it like the Bolts are making a typical Tampa Bay Rays trade. You give up a coveted veteran for a talented youngster AND you get the bonus of freeing up all that delicious cap space.

Since Buffalo was mentioned as a logical trade partner, think about JBB asking for JJ Peterka and telling Buffalo’s GM that if he wants a multi Cup-winning playoff warrior, ya gotta pony up. Buffalo has enough scoring depth to consider it. And if it’s too rich, JBB could switch to Jack Quinn and a pick or another prospect or a wildcard like Krebs who is still developing and could still be a decent middle six guy in a coupla years. Oh and he’s also still on his ELC.

So, in summation: Trade Cirelli for a top-6 forward on an ELC. Sign Stammer. Trade Sheary, Perbix, Jeannot or whatever. Sign another FA to fill out the roster. OK. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.
Except good luck convincing Buffalo to trade either of those two for Cirelli. Even asking for Kulich has drawn the ire of more than a few Sabre supporters. If Krebs is the main player, then very much no thanks.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

This is too logical and practical. Any FA is not good enough, no thanks. Any roster player that's younger and cheaper can't be better than a 45pt 6.25M center. No way. Cirelli will be here his entire career and will have his own statue on the Plaza next summer. Never make such a wild suggestion ever again.

/sarcasm

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you're gonna trade Sergachev then you better have a huge upgrade plan up front.
Sergachev's trade value would greatly outweigh his value to the team. Would we rather have an 8.5m 3rd pairing D, or a 6m 2C who can score 30 goals, possibly with a +?

With McDonagh onboard, it's just really hard to imagine Sergachev playing a big enough role to justify his salary. It's way more money than he was making when we had these 3 down the left side before.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Sergachev's trade value would greatly outweigh his value to the team. Would we rather have an 8.5m 3rd pairing D, or a 6m 2C who can score 30 goals, possibly with a +?

With McDonagh onboard, it's just really hard to imagine Sergachev playing a big enough role to justify his salary. It's way more money than he was making when we had these 3 down the left side before.
If Serg was moved, they could, either through the trade/assets from the trade ot ufa, spend 3-4 on a middle 6 F and 4-5 on a ufa top 4 RD. They'd still need to move the three lesser cap hits, but they'd have enough room to balance out the blueline's top 4, keep Stamkos, and add 2 middle/top 6 F types to actually have some solid depth through the top 9. Since Serg is easily the most overpaid of the 3 main rfa's that were extended, and he should have the most trade value, if Tampa could add to the roster as above it could make sense as a move to help the team now while possibly hurting them down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I believe that JBB has no inclination to trade our RFA's. It's definitely the easiest move to make but I don't see how a GM just commits 8 years to a player without having a lot of conviction towards keeping them around and facilitating that by making other deals to keep them in the fold.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Ondrej Kase is looking to get back to the NHL. Do we take a chance?

Kase or Kubalik IMO. Sign them to a league minimum, prove it deal, offer them a chance to play top6 minutes if they can step up.

Stammer - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Cirelli - Kubalik
would do some damages

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
We should definitely circle the wagons on Kaliyev, Kakko, Brink if they all fall out of favor and are on the trade block. Not sure if I would target Wahlstrom or Podkolzin, but just some young talented options who may be available in the near future.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I believe that JBB has no inclination to trade our RFA's. It's definitely the easiest move to make but I don't see how a GM just commits 8 years to a player without having a lot of conviction towards keeping them around and facilitating that by making other deals to keep them in the fold.
Well if he doesn’t Stamkos probably walks because Stamkos is not taking 4 million per season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad