Prospect Info: 2023 142nd Overall - Mikhail Ye. Ilyin

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
His production for a 18yo in the KHL is quite good. Excited to see how he continues to develop. I'd like to see him at 0.5PPG+ for the season.

I love players with great hockey sense. Always have. And hey, hard to argue with a kid who wears #99, right?
Wayne Gretzky
Wilf Paiement
Mikhail Ye. Ilyin
You forgot Mark Donk and Buzz Fillbin.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Might be why he fell. Last year he was on Cherepovets' bottom lines and scouts were like "okay he's playing in the KHL and all but he's not big, he's not fast and he isn't scoring so what's to like here?" Guessing even our scouts felt the same way to some extent or else they would've picked him higher than they did.

I feel this is the exact same scouting report as me: I'm not fast or big or have any particular redeeming skill but I feel like I'm in the right place most of the time :)

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
29 points in 65 games in the K as an 18 year old is extremely impressive. Wonder if you guys have found a truly hidden gem. Almost no one on Twitter or HFBoards has really hyped him up, which is odd

Reactions: Jacob

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
29 points in 65 games in the K as an 18 year old is extremely impressive. Wonder if you guys have found a truly hidden gem. Almost no one on Twitter or HFBoards has really hyped him up, which is odd
Hopefully we get more footage of him this year. Seems like he's already the Pens 4th or 5th best prospect with a chance to climb.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Great year for him.

As to why he’s not getting more hype- pretty much zero footage of him. Also looks like a bad skater in what little we can see.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Great year for him.

As to why he’s not getting more hype- pretty much zero footage of him. Also looks like a bad skater in what little we can see.

From the Pens discord, people who've watched him say he's slow at accelerating up the ice. Though he's good on his edges and agile with his first stride while stick handling from a standstill.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think the war and subsequent lack of Russian presence at international tournaments means only the flashiest Russians are getting noticed much at the moment. Throw in playing on a fairly unfashionable team and him being a sudden explosion and it's easy to see why he goes under the radar. There's no flashy skills that you can project growth on either, just smart determined hockey on a strong team.

I would add that when I ask prospect watchers about him, they mix caution and optimism. Hard not to be excited by the numbers, hard to be really excited until he does it again and shows continued growth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad