2022 QMJHL Draft

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I guess the 2006 players haven't had the chance to shine much yet because of the situation, especially in Quebec, but I'll go with what I've seen last year in Quebec and what I've seen so far in the Atlantics this year.

Overall, I don't think this is a special draft, much like the 2005s, the 2006s look about average compared to previous years, certainly far from the 03s.

In Nova Scotia, the guys from Halifax look the best... Owen Phillips, Reece Peitzsche and Quinn Kennedy all look like high-end players that could get selected high in the first round.

Dominic MacKenzie is another two-way defenseman with a lot of skill and hockey sense that could be considered a first round talent.

As far as I am concerned the 06s of Nova Scotia are miles above the 05s which were quite weak.

In New Brunswick it's just the opposite. The 05s are pretty strong, but 06s are weaker. I have yet to see a guy I would rank as a first rounder but we will see what time brings.

PEI has another good year. I particularly like Ross Campbell, Matthew MacLean and Justin Smith. Lincoln Waugh, Dawson Sharkey, Mason Power and Ethan Dickson are others to keep track of. Evan Nicholson also has upside. I think it's a fairly strong year for PEI, might have 2 or 3 first round players in there.

When it comes to the Quebec guys, I think Eliot Litalien and Alexis Michaud from Blizzard are close to the top. I haven't seen Xavier Veilleux play yet but his stats are great too.

Adam Fortier-Gendron who already plays in Midget AAA obviously should be considered as a first round talent. Samuel Leonard and Tomas Lavoie should join him next year as good prospects for Esther-Blondin.

Jeremy Leroux and Sacha Boisvert who have gone to play Prep School hockey are two other high-end prospects.

Gabriel D'Aigle from Noir et Or may be the best goalie I've seen at his age so far in Quebec.

Gatineau has a couple of good prospects in Vincent Murray and Marek Legault.

Levis will have a good depth of prospects, most notably with Justin Carbonneau, Thomas Desruisseaux and Matt Gosselin.

It looks like Trois-Rivieres will have a few good players of their own with Alexis Doucet and Felix Lacerte.

Other players that I think could be high picks are Justin Poirier, Olivier Lemieux, Marek Beaudoin, Mathias Gilbert, Evan Depatie, Louka Langlois, Bill Zonnon, Corey Tannahill, Julien Lanthier...

It will be fun to follow this draft class around, a lot of good young prospects as always. Who are some other players that could make a difference in the QMJHL in a few years?

Reactions: Wic and Iser

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I will put some thoughts together eventually. Overall, you will find that in NS the 06 group is actually significantly weaker then 05. More 05 though attend prep then a lot of other years. Who is going to put the first list out in covid times

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I will put some thoughts together eventually. Overall, you will find that in NS the 06 group is actually significantly weaker then 05. More 05 though attend prep then a lot of other years. Who is going to put the first list out in covid times

To me, the 05s are significantly weaker than the 06s in Nova Scotia... it's not even close in my opinion. Peddle and Burbridge who went prep are the only two first round candidates from NS for me. To be fair, I have not seen Plandowski and he is probably legit. Even if you look statistically at Bantam in Nova Scotia last year, you will see that as underagers, Shields (06) was 3rd scorer in the league, Owen Phillips (06) was the defenseman with the most points in the league, Quinn Kennedy was 10th in the league, etc... Peitzsche was 24th as well.

I have 4 guys from Nova Scotia in my top 10 for 2006s to be honest, and I usually am not very high on Maritimes players compared to Quebec.

When he was a Bantam underager, Peddle was the 21st best scorer in the league. Henderson, Todd and Green were the only other two 05s in the top 40 of the league as underagers.

Not saying stats are all that matter, but to me, the 06s in Nova Scotia are actually very strong especially at the top end.

Even if we compare the atlantic provinces by the Atlantic Cup Challenge, the 06s seem to have dominated the tournament while the 05s with Peddle were weaker than New Brunswick and PEI.

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
NS has some very high end 2006's...but then it drops off. I would say the 05's are deeper...but the top end 06's are stronger. Keep in mind the 06 group from NB won the last ACC and I would have them favored to win it again...if there was one. NB has a few names that you will see in the mix....Richard is a big D from Moncton, they also have Gill who is over 6' for sure and is improving at a very fast pace...similar to his brother who is in RN playing as a 16 year old. St John has a nice group of 06's, the Sharks are a powerhouse team that would give the Gulls everything they could handle. PEI confuses me with the lopsided scores...its hard to gauge anyone's talent when you are beating teams by 15 goals.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
There really isn't that big a difference between 2005 and 2006 in NS, they just are stronger in different areas. 2006 are better high end and on defence but the 2005 have more guys that will likely play in the Q over all.

2005 first two round potential
Richardson-G
McPhee-F
Burbidge-F
Henderson-F
Crosby-F
Peddle-F

2006 first two round potential
Kennedy-F
Peitzche-F
Aucoin-F
Phillips-D
Hope-F
Shields-F
James-G

IMO only that is 6 2005 and 7 2006 players, but if I was picking first round it would be 1 2005 and 4 2006. After this I think 2005's are slightly stronger, but as I said not much of a difference. 2005 defence kill that year because there is not one that is a guarantee to play.

Reactions: Talking Hockey

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
There really isn't that big a difference between 2005 and 2006 in NS, they just are stronger in different areas. 2006 are better high end and on defence but the 2005 have more guys that will likely play in the Q over all.

2005 first two round potential
Richardson-G
McPhee-F
Burbidge-F
Henderson-F
Crosby-F
Peddle-F

2006 first two round potential
Kennedy-F
Peitzche-F
Aucoin-F
Phillips-D
Hope-F
Shields-F
James-G

IMO only that is 6 2005 and 7 2006 players, but if I was picking first round it would be 1 2005 and 4 2006. After this I think 2005's are slightly stronger, but as I said not much of a difference. 2005 defence kill that year because there is not one that is a guarantee to play.

To be honest, where I differ with you is that I think Crosby and Henderson are round 5 to 8 players. McPhee to me is a round 4 or 5. I see Peddle as a first rounder and probably Burbridge as well, however.

As for you 2006s, I'd definitely add Dominic MacKenzie. I know he wasn't necessarily regarded as such in the past, but I see first round upside there. I'd have him, Peitzsche, Kennedy, Phillips and Shields as first rounders. I think Hope has high-end skill but I see more of a round 3 type. Aucoin could be round 2 to 4.

As for depth, I don't mind a lot of other players that I think could be fairly comparable to guys like Crosby and McPhee that you mentioned above.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
To be honest, where I differ with you is that I think Crosby and Henderson are round 5 to 8 players. McPhee to me is a round 4 or 5. I see Peddle as a first rounder and probably Burbridge as well, however.

As for you 2006s, I'd definitely add Dominic MacKenzie. I know he wasn't necessarily regarded as such in the past, but I see first round upside there. I'd have him, Peitzsche, Kennedy, Phillips and Shields as first rounders. I think Hope has high-end skill but I see more of a round 3 type. Aucoin could be round 2 to 4.

As for depth, I don't mind a lot of other players that I think could be fairly comparable to guys like Crosby and McPhee that you mentioned above.
I know we are in a 2006 chat...but finally someone with some reality on Henderson and Mcphee, good players, but not first 2 rounds. I have watched Henderson 4-5 times this winter, i just don't get the hype, he is carrying way to much weight to be effective.
Yes, I meant St John, NB. Grandy, Arsenault, Calder...if they continue to develop their skating, they have potential. KV has Smith, but his skating is questionable. Nadeau from Moncton, small , but a leathal shot....all these guys have Q potential, 4-6 rounders.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
These are all good 06 players:
Kennedy-F
Peitzche-F
Aucoin-F
Phillips-D
Hope-F
Shields-F
James-G

I will say however that there are some nuances when looking at the stats, in many cases though it's all that you can easily look at. I really like Kennedy, Peitzche and Phillips. Goalies - I'm not a good judge. I like Shields so far, and unless it goes off the rails he'll draft high. Within his age group - he was the strongest player right up until last year - I think Kennedy barely edged him out in my mind. This year though it is a wash of a year frankly. His parents did what I thought most would not and allowed him to go the US during the pandemic so he will be getting max reps versus the NS kids. That will not hurt his hockey development for sure. He should come back in great shape with max development. He was more physically mature at the end of first year PeeWee then most second year bantams. As a PeeWee he was 5 or 6 inches taller then a lot of his piers. I haven't seen him play since last year to see if he is getting bigger. I'm not sure of his parents heights, which would be interesting.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Will is probably 5-7 to 5-8 range and is likely done or very close to done growing. The one thing that separated him other then growing early was his powerful stride and that hasn’t gone anywhere. He’s a fantastic kid that won’t dominate junior like minor hockey but I suspect he will still be a solid junior player.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020

I can see what you are saying with Henderson because the last time I saw him he was average speed at best and looked heavy. I was hoping his time away would clean that up because he has the potential to be a great power fw. Wouldn’t surprise me if he drops because of his skating and fitness though.

If Crosby drops lower then 3 then they have figured out he’s a bit soft, and the only way McPhee isn’t top 2 rounds is if teams don’t like his team play. He can be selfish and have a negative attitude toward his own players.....that is my own opinion 100% watching his reactions on the ice.

looking forward to watching MacKenzie because last year he wasn’t even good in the league and now he seems to be a stud!! This happens now and again with a growth spurt. Like I said above this is a hard year to really be bang on because viewing is at a minimal.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
From NB out of Fredericton I would add Burtt-Munn and Pierce to the discussion and a goalie, Boudreau, from Dieppe. Another big body from PEI, Tyler Wood, is playing prep in the US is a solid 2006 prospect. Not necessarily first rounders but worth following as things evolve.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Is the Boudreau, Niko Boudreau from Shediac area? He’s solid.
Boudreau was one of Dieppe's top players at the Ice Jam last year, for some reason I had him pegged as an 05 and I thought i see him on an NB U18 roster this year as well.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
He has played up with 05 age group quite a bit growing up. Pretty sure he’s an AP in U18 this year as a 14 YO.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks

I can't possibly see how the 06s are weaker then the 05s. It's not even close. I coached both age groups for years.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I can't possibly see how the 06s are weaker then the 05s. It's not even close. I coached both age groups for years.

You likely have an opinion based on a specific team or kids you have coached - so you are not wrong within the context you may be referring to probably. For example TASA in NS has a stronger 06 group and has for years. That is not the uniform situation across all organizations. It will become clear - but not for another 3-4 years when they stop growing :)

Wic and Iser

Mar 18, 2021
I guess the 2006 players haven't had the chance to shine much yet because of the situation, especially in Quebec, but I'll go with what I've seen last year in Quebec and what I've seen so far in the Atlantics this year.

Overall, I don't think this is a special draft, much like the 2005s, the 2006s look about average compared to previous years, certainly far from the 03s.

In Nova Scotia, the guys from Halifax look the best... Owen Phillips, Reece Peitzsche and Quinn Kennedy all look like high-end players that could get selected high in the first round.

Dominic MacKenzie is another two-way defenseman with a lot of skill and hockey sense that could be considered a first round talent.

As far as I am concerned the 06s of Nova Scotia are miles above the 05s which were quite weak.

In New Brunswick it's just the opposite. The 05s are pretty strong, but 06s are weaker. I have yet to see a guy I would rank as a first rounder but we will see what time brings.

PEI has another good year. I particularly like Ross Campbell, Matthew MacLean and Justin Smith. Lincoln Waugh, Dawson Sharkey, Mason Power and Ethan Dickson are others to keep track of. Evan Nicholson also has upside. I think it's a fairly strong year for PEI, might have 2 or 3 first round players in there.

When it comes to the Quebec guys, I think Eliot Litalien and Alexis Michaud from Blizzard are close to the top. I haven't seen Xavier Veilleux play yet but his stats are great too.

Adam Fortier-Gendron who already plays in Midget AAA obviously should be considered as a first round talent. Samuel Leonard and Tomas Lavoie should join him next year as good prospects for Esther-Blondin.

Jeremy Leroux and Sacha Boisvert who have gone to play Prep School hockey are two other high-end prospects.

Gabriel D'Aigle from Noir et Or may be the best goalie I've seen at his age so far in Quebec.

Gatineau has a couple of good prospects in Vincent Murray and Marek Legault.

Levis will have a good depth of prospects, most notably with Justin Carbonneau, Thomas Desruisseaux and Matt Gosselin.

It looks like Trois-Rivieres will have a few good players of their own with Alexis Doucet and Felix Lacerte.

Other players that I think could be high picks are Justin Poirier, Olivier Lemieux, Marek Beaudoin, Mathias Gilbert, Evan Depatie, Louka Langlois, Bill Zonnon, Corey Tannahill, Julien Lanthier...

It will be fun to follow this draft class around, a lot of good young prospects as always. Who are some other players that could make a difference in the QMJHL in a few years?

Pretty much agreeing for Quebec prospects, maybe 2-3 that are arguable but you got the essential.

I'd like to add Fevry (F-GTHL), Carreiras (G-LEQ), Lunam (F-LEQ), Letoile (D-LEQ), Austin (D-LEQ), W. Léonard (F-LEQ) Massé (F-LHPS) and Paré (D-LHPS)

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I have been watching this level significantly since things have opened up in NS only. Many of the top prospects have been only ok unfortunately and the league overall is weaker then last year skill wise. There no top 5 picks here and likely top 10 at this point.

Covid has definitely had an impact. Is this a general consensus of the situation?

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
since play has resumed I’ve noticed lots of kids haven’t looked great too. Covid will likely stunt them a little with the start stops, but I suspect they will make up for it this summer and next year.

I still believe Kennedy and Phillips will be first rounders. I can also see others pushing top 3 rounds with the right growth next year. Aucoin, Peitzche, Hope, Vohra, Moser, Sampson etc. Hope and Sampson can dominate bantam but they don’t always seem interested so they may drop off.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Any of this group heading to prep schools like previous years?
I wouldn't be surprised. Here in Mtl there's a lot of uncertainty right now. Nobody knows what's going to happen with the 2005 draft and even if they go ahead more or less on schedule those kids won't be ready for major junior without having played any MDAAA. So there will be a backlog of players spilling down to Midget Espoir. I know a couple of kids who went the prep school route last fall and they managed to play a full season while our guys here were spinning their wheels.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00