2022 Prospect Poll #8

Who is the Sabres' #8 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
RESULTS SO FAR:

1. Owen Power, D (--): 86/103 votes (83.5%). Runner up: Jack Quinn (11 votes).
  2. Jack Quinn, F (+2): 65/78 votes (83.3%). Runner up: Devon Levi (4 votes).
  3. J.J. Peterka, F (--): 40/91 votes (43.8%). Runner up: Matthew Savoie (35 votes).
  4. Matthew Savoie, F (NR): 59/96 votes (61.5%). Runner up: Devon Levi (27 votes).
  5. Devon Levi, G (+4): 79/96 votes (82.3%). Runner up: Jiri Kulich (11 votes).
  6. Jiri Kulich, F (NR): 54/96 votes (56.3%). Runner up: Noah Ostlund (29 votes).
  7. Noah Ostlund, F (NR): 77/98 votes (78.6%). Runner up: Ryan Johnson (8 votes).
RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be left as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2022-23 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 (as of September 15, 2022);
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.
NEXT TO ADD: Comment the player you want to see added to the next poll. The following players are eligible:
  • Forwards: Tyson Kozak, Filip Cederqvist, Linus Sjodin, Lukas Rousek, Matej Pekar, Linus Weissbach, Aaron Huglen, Matteo Costantini, Gustav Karlsson, Jake Richard, Joel Berndtsson, Stiven Sardaryan, Viljami Marjala, William von Barnekow, Jakub Konecny, Brett Murray, Vasili Glotov
  • Defensemen: Mats Lindgren, Oskari Laaksonen, Vsemolod Komarov, Albert Lyckasen, Philip Nyberg
  • Goalies: Topias Leinonen

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Rosen's shot and upside vs Johnson's steady game, I went with upside...

Add Lindgren

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
UPL. He is 99% on the roster next season as, at minimum, backup. Maybe 1B or 1A. He might be backup by this seasons end pending CA health. This roster certainty along with potential to stick for years and possibly excel clinches #8 over Rosen. Rosen has loads of potential but his slight build and developmental path uncertainty puts him at #9. UPL and Rosen are really close.

Add Rousek

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is a REAL close one between Johnson and Rosen. Rosen's got the upside....but he seems so far away from reaching it.

Give me Mr. Steady here.

Add Lindgren

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Went Rosen which means i went hot hand. I think Johnson and UPL are in this tier as well but i also think if you like one of the forwards from last years draft and voted them I understand

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This is a REAL close one between Johnson and Rosen. Rosen's got the upside....but he seems so far away from reaching it.

Give me Mr. Steady here.

Add Lindgren
I had the same internal debate and made the same choice. Rosen's upside is tempting, but Johnson's almost assuredly an NHLer in some capacity, and possibly a pretty good NHLer at that.

Reactions: Zman5778

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
UPL. He is 99% on the roster next season as, at minimum, backup. Maybe 1B or 1A. He might be backup by this seasons end pending CA health. This roster certainty along with potential to stick for years and possibly excel clinches #8 over Rosen. Rosen has loads of potential but his slight build and developmental path uncertainty puts him at #9. UPL and Rosen are really close.

Add Rousek
These are my sentiments as well. BUt I can't vote properly without clicking on an advertisement.

Reactions: Digable5

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I half expected the russians to start making a showing here.

Hard for me to rank Johnsson and Portillo when I don't think they have any value to the org.

For me 6K, Rosen and Johnson are all interchangeable here. After that, I got Portillo, Kisakov, Lindgren, Bloom and Cederqvist.

Then Nadeau, Novikov, Poltapov and Kozak.

That brings me to 19 total, and even then I got Leinonen, Neuchev, Huglen, Sjodin and von Barnekow-Lofberg there, and know none of the other guys enough to try to rank.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Neuchev add Lindgren
They said they had a first round grade on him, so I have no problem seeing him up there with Rosen/Johnson.

The skill is obviously there for Neuchev, I just see more substance in poltapov's game. That said sometimes it seems like the "all-around" guys end up struggling.

Saw an interesting tweet on the matter a few days ago:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Johnson is the clear choice here for me, even if we're pissed about the uncertainty of his future with the team. I think he's a sure thing to play, whether it's as a stay at home insulator in the top 4 or as a high end 3rd pairing guy. While Rosen, UPL or others may have higher upside, they also have more question marks IMO.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Upl my choice. Nhl nearly ready as opposed to a kid just out of high school that has not seen the rigor of playing vs proffesionals

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Rosen. He gets too much crap for having a year where he was hurt and or didnt get minutes in his league. Kid can shoot and plays a smart game in the offensive zone.

Add Lindgren.

Reactions: Dingo44

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Johnson is the clear choice here for me, even if we're pissed about the uncertainty of his future with the team. I think he's a sure thing to play, whether it's as a stay at home insulator in the top 4 or as a high end 3rd pairing guy. While Rosen, UPL or others may have higher upside, they also have more question marks IMO.
Out of curiosity, what do you think Rosen's ceiling/floor are? I used similar logic to you and agree on your assessment of RyJo, but used it to ultimately vote for Rosen. While that could be just a difference in risk tolerance, I wonder where you set the bookends of his projection currently.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I actually think this next tier of players is pretty big. I don’t think there is much difference between Rosen, Johnson, Portillo, or UPL.

I’ll go with Johnson just a smudge over UPL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes