2022 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Nice job, and thank you.
Sad that world events from COVID thru Ukraine are having such impact on these kids (yes, obviously huge impacts in the real world away from sports)
Glad you took the time for this.

Reactions: Caser

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
@Caser thank you for doing this!

Question: What is your view on how easy or not it will be for NHL teams to bring players from Russia to North America in the future?

Let’s assume the war goes on for a while…

I see what you did here - offering to me to test my own warning about the political discussion. :sarcasm:

I will tell this: if by "goes on for a while" you mean approximately the same as it is going the last 2-3 months then I don't expect something much to change comparing to how it is now, but if there is an escalation I have a feeling that people on our planet will have much more interesting things to do than worrying about hockey prospects coming over (or about hockey at all).

If we try to stay positive, here is what I see now:

• Visa issues: now players have to go to a third country to get a visa done and it takes quite some time, so it might make impossible the burning an ELC contract year thing.
  • Possible work permit issues: not something I'm able to comment, but I had an impression that a good immigration lawyer can get it done.
  • Flight issues: probably the less significant thing here, as without the direct flights players are now forced to travel through Turkey or Dubai or some other location.
  • Possible compensation law for U23 players: I think actually players benefited from the war situation here, as the law got delayed, but I think at some point it will be there regardless, so likely players will have to use their signing bonus to cover that.
  • Today's Ivan Fedotov situation: apparently military guys have started to more strictly control the conscription-eligible guys, so it is important for the players to be considered as students, it is not too expensive, as it costs about 4k USD per year, but it still needs to be done to have the formal protection against that type of stuff.

So kind of issues here and there, but doesn't look like something that can't be taken care of.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
The results of the first round are a bit headscratching, particularly Yurov failing, but I guess you should be ready for any sort of surprises this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The results of the first round are a bit headscratching, particularly Yurov failing, but I guess you should be ready for any sort of surprises this year.
It's kind of odd that the team who picked Yurov is the one who's star Russian player has been the subject of some disheartening(if you are a Wild fan) rumours. Maybe they know something that others don't.

Still think that there might be a blizzard of Russian picks in the the later rounds.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
It's kind of odd that the team who picked Yurov is the one who's star Russian player has been the subject of some disheartening(if you are a Wild fan) rumours. Maybe they know something that others don't.
To be honest I meant not even that - ok, Russian factor can be a factor or not for some team, we can't know that, but seeing Miroshnichenko falling much less than Yurov, while Yurov didn't have those health issues and actually wasn't giving much reasons to fall in terms of his game - that all sounds a bit strange to me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be honest I meant not even that - ok, Russian factor can be a factor or not for some team, we can't know that, but seeing Miroshnichenko falling much less than Yurov, while Yurov didn't have those health issues and actually wasn't giving much reasons to fall in terms of his game - that all sounds a bit strange to me.
Me, too. Health aside, wasn't Yurov always considered the most talented player, or forward, anyway? A lot of scouts really like Mintyukov, too.

Yurov seems to have that prototypical Russian skill and aggression with the puck on his stick, and pro size. In a somewhat iffy forward draft like this one, you'd think he would be more sought after by teams on the East coast.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Carolina picked both Trikozov and Perevalov. Svechnikov will still be pretty young when those kids come to NA, if of course they are good enough. It's gonna be Carolina Russian Hurricanes...
With Nikishin looking like a likely roster player in 2 years (even if bottom pair D) and Kochetkov waiting in the wings in net, yes they could be one of the most heavy Russian teams in the league. I love it

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Me, too. Health aside, wasn't Yurov always considered the most talented player, or forward, anyway? A lot of scouts really like Mintyukov, too.

Yurov seems to have that prototypical Russian skill and aggression with the puck on his stick, and pro size. In a somewhat iffy forward draft like this one, you'd think he would be more sought after by teams on the East coast.
To be fair, by the pure talent and upside it is definitely Miroshnichenko, but Yurov always looked to be more rounded and cerebral player, even spent some time at C in the KHL at the start of the season, which isn't something trusted too often to young guys (not even talking about natural wingers).

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
23 players total selected, might be not the harshest Russian factor type of stuff, but still there was some influence.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Going back to the impact of the Russian factor again, today I've read on one of the youth-hockey oriented Russian journalist's telegram channel that the impact is actually larger than it seems: due to the excellent talent crop the number of drafted players should've been around 35.

Not sure if I'd agree here, but certainly some food for thought.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
@Caser how do you feel about Detroit taking Buchelnikov in round 2?

Most sources had him ranked much later and from your list, he is also far below guys like Trikozov, who went after Buchelnikov in this draft.

Do you think Detroit took him too early?

Also, what do you think Detroit sees in Buchelnikov that made them grab him so early?

Thanks!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Going back to the impact of the Russian factor again, today I've read on one of the youth-hockey oriented Russian journalist's telegram channel that the impact is actually larger than it seems: due to the excellent talent crop the number of drafted players should've been around 35.

Not sure if I'd agree here, but certainly some food for thought.
Well the Ducks drafting 2 Russians in one draft is unheard of, our previous GM drafted only 2 Russians from 2009 to 2021 and neither were 1st rounders.
New GM Pat Verbeek has said that nationality does not matter to him. I wanted my team to draft Miro at #22 or Yurov.
If Russian factor was bigger i think Miro and Yurov would been 2nd round picks.

I think its just the way this years draft was crazy that players were going sooner and later all over the place
Like some mock drafts had Bischel going #32 but he goes #18, some mocks had Mintykov at around #16 or so but he goes #10.
Some had Kasper around #15 but he goes #8. Some had Wright at #1 but he goes #4.
Kemell, Lekkermaki and Nazar expected to go top10 but fall out of top10

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
@Caser how do you feel about Detroit taking Buchelnikov in round 2?

Most sources had him ranked much later and from your list, he is also far below guys like Trikozov, who went after Buchelnikov in this draft.

Do you think Detroit took him too early?

Also, what do you think Detroit sees in Buchelnikov that made them grab him so early?

Thanks!
I'd think of him more as a 3rd round guy, but here is the thing that if we look at it that way, nowadays the concept of having a "Best Player Available" stops just somewhere outside the first round, after that another concept kicks in: "We like this guy". As for what they see I think aside from what I wrote in the write-up it is better just to go to his thread here and watch the highlights. :)

Well the Ducks drafting 2 Russians in one draft is unheard of, our previous GM drafted only 2 Russians from 2009 to 2021 and neither were 1st rounders.
New GM Pat Verbeek has said that nationality does not matter to him. I wanted my team to draft Miro at #22 or Yurov.
If Russian factor was bigger i think Miro and Yurov would been 2nd round picks.

I think its just the way this years draft was crazy that players were going sooner and later all over the place
Like some mock drafts had Bischel going #32 but he goes #18, some mocks had Mintykov at around #16 or so but he goes #10.
Some had Kasper around #15 but he goes #8. Some had Wright at #1 but he goes #4.
Kemell, Lekkermaki and Nazar expected to go top10 but fall out of top10
Imagine being a Ducks' Russian scout - so many years of basically a paid vacation and now having to work again. :D With Pat Verbeek it is simple - he was there when the Lightning team grabbed their Russians falling due to the Russian factor, so he is immune to that. As for the impact of the Russian factor Yurov failing for no reason from the Top10 is quite a big thing already I think, although I'm talking more about so many good depth guys being totally ignored.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
never understood you crush on Yurov. I don't see anything special about him. Miro, on the other hand, while some may question his iq, has a hell of a shot and looks like a bull on ice. It was no surprise for me that he was drafted ahead of Yurov, even taking into account his problems with health.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Questioning whether dronov signs in North America after what happened with Fedotov.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
never understood you crush on Yurov. I don't see anything special about him. Miro, on the other hand, while some may question his iq, has a hell of a shot and looks like a bull on ice. It was no surprise for me that he was drafted ahead of Yurov, even taking into account his problems with health.
I like that he combines legit upside with being an all-around player, it should make him quite well-suited for pro hockey.
Questioning whether dronov signs in North America after what happened with Fedotov.
I doubt that he has military service issues, but even if he does, military conscription time ends this Friday. Another thing might be a bit of complicated visa issues like Kaprizov having (they share the same agent, so maybe the same issues too).

Reactions: EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad