HF Habs: 2022 HF Habs Prospect Final Rankings

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Colorado has "outflanked" them last year (in a way). Their offense overpowered Tampa, even though they have a really solid defensive team.

While I agree that Hedman is the best combination of defense and offense in the league right now, the defense will look very different without McDonagh and I don't expect them to be nearly as good defensively without him.

Also, Vasy isn't 6th best player for them, that is just incorrect. He is definitely top 3. Most TB fans consider him the most important of all. It's arguable that Hedman and Kucherov are more important. Point and Stamkos a little bit behind.
Hedman
Kucherov
Point
Stamkos/Sergachev/cirelli/Vasilevsky/Palat/Mcdonagh

Point lead the league in goals for 2 POs straight, like gimme a break man, thats insane support.

I dont give a flying cuck what Tampa fan think, Ive seen enough of Hedman to know hes a straight top 15 defender of all-time and that Kucherov is the best winger in the league.

blueberry

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm very impressed with all our picks from last draft. I found the draft at the time to be underwhelming. I hadn't heard about most of them and their stats (size skating scoring etc) didn't stand out. We must have some good scouts somewhere or better directives from management cause these guys look good. Beck guindon roher mesar davidson etc. All look good. This is a pleasant change. It feels good.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm very impressed with all our picks from last draft. I found the draft at the time to be underwhelming. I hadn't heard about most of them and their stats (size skating scoring etc) didn't stand out. We must have some good scouts somewhere or better directives from management cause these guys look good. Beck guindon roher mesar davidson etc. All look good. This is a pleasant change. It feels good.
and you didn't even mention the crown jewel of that class...Hutson ;)

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
They are drafting them smart, skilled and highly competitive, I think the Bobrov/Lapointe duo crushed it last draft and hopefully the next ones will be great as well.

St-Louis wants them to think on the ice, the scouting staff is providing him exactly that.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I was pretty confident Hillis was done as a Hab and was not a viable prospect for them anymore. Maybe he can improve his lot with his second organization. He has a second chance now I guess.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
They are drafting them smart, skilled and highly competitive, I think the Bobrov/Lapointe duo crushed it last draft and hopefully the next ones will be great as well.

St-Louis wants them to think on the ice, the scouting staff is providing him exactly that.
Sorry to go tangent a bit, but what you just said. I have wondered over these years whether our coaches played a role in the drafting of players and what determines BPA. You can say its separate, but how can it be ?

For about 30 years we have had coaches who demanded a north -south, non possession , chip the puck up ice kind of game. So when you have players who dont fit that style, they dont play. Remember MB getting Briere, Vanek , PAP, , MT had no time for them. So unless the GM is ready to fire the coach, he brings in the kinds of guys the coach wants, like Weber for PK.

Does it not make sense then that it develops into a team identity and affects what a team decides is BPA ?

So all of a sudden, we have a management that wants uptempo, smarts, skill, size and speed and has a coach in place that shares that desire for that style of play. And so we are drafting guys with high ceilings. Now it does not mean that they suck defensively, just that the upside needs to be there for most picks.

During a pre draft meeting, Gorton said the guys who are good role players in the NHL were good producers in the lower levels, so we should not draft players who are role players in the junior leagues thinking they can be good role players at the NHL level. Big case in point, one of the greatest two way players, defensive centres Habs have ever had was Guy Carbonneau. Carbo was a scoring machine in the Q and the AHL.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
A lot of prospects should be moved around on this list.

I'd redo it like this (I'm not high on Barron):

Slaf
Guhle
Mesar
Beck
Hutson
Farrell
Mailloux
Roy
Xhekaj
Harris
Barron

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Slaf
Guhle
Mesar
Beck
Hutson
Farrell
Mailloux
Roy
Xhekaj
Harris
Barron
Slaf
Guhle
Xhekaj
Beck
Harris
Dobes
Mesar
Mailloux
Barron
Hutson
Heineman
Farrell
Dichow
Rohrer
Guindon
Davidson
Engstrom

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Sorry to go tangent a bit, but what you just said. I have wondered over these years whether our coaches played a role in the drafting of players and what determines BPA. You can say its separate, but how can it be ?

For about 30 years we have had coaches who demanded a north -south, non possession , chip the puck up ice kind of game. So when you have players who dont fit that style, they dont play. Remember MB getting Briere, Vanek , PAP, , MT had no time for them. So unless the GM is ready to fire the coach, he brings in the kinds of guys the coach wants, like Weber for PK.

Does it not make sense then that it develops into a team identity and affects what a team decides is BPA ?

So all of a sudden, we have a management that wants uptempo, smarts, skill, size and speed and has a coach in place that shares that desire for that style of play. And so we are drafting guys with high ceilings. Now it does not mean that they suck defensively, just that the upside needs to be there for most picks.

During a pre draft meeting, Gorton said the guys who are good role players in the NHL were good producers in the lower levels, so we should not draft players who are role players in the junior leagues thinking they can be good role players at the NHL level. Big case in point, one of the greatest two way players, defensive centres Habs have ever had was Guy Carbonneau. Carbo was a scoring machine in the Q and the AHL.
Indeed, probably the reason why they part with Poehling that easily, not enough production in the NCAA and not a great puck possession player. Didnt fit the new philosophy, a guy like Gallagher doesnt fit that thinking either, thats why I see him as a problem personally, no one will dispute his caractere, determination, compete and leadership, but we might be stuck with a player who doesnt fit the mold at all, so I wouldnt be surprised to see them use high draft picks to get rid of that contract eventually.

Not sure if it was Bobrov or Lapointe commenting on Jared Davidsson after the draft, but they said that he was exactly the kind of player they were looking for to fill a bottom line role, kid is producing at a 2 PPG pace in the WHL right now...

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Slaf
Guhle
Mesar
Beck
Hutson
Farrell
Mailloux
Roy
Xhekaj
Harris
Barron

Graduated:
Guhle
Xhekaj

Mesar (Clearly he's still adapting to the NA style and he's dominant on an individual level despite his size)
Beck (Could easely be the no1 but we need to see him translate his skills into the NHL)
Slaf (Out of the 9 lives 1st OA get he already lost 2 of them, he needs to smarten up, will he? can he? those are 2 big question marks)
Hutson
Farrell
Mailloux
Roy
Harris
Barron

Reactions: Guess

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Slaf
Guhle
Mesar
Beck
Hutson
Farrell
Mailloux
Roy
Xhekaj
Harris
Barron

Interesting list. Some bold takes too seing how seamlessly Xhekaj and Harris have made the jump. A lot will have to go right for some of the guys ranked higher to actually end up more valuable. That top 7 is very talented though. We haven't seen this type of upside in years.

I might also be in the minority, but I just don't see it with Roy. He has so many parts of his game that aren't translatable. He needs a lot of work. It's not impossible and if he does add more facets to his game he can be a legitimate top 6 threat, but it'll be an uphill battle for him.

Reactions: Guess

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Most of us discovered Xhekaj at the memorial cup and 15th was already generous, ahead of Norlinder who played in the NHL and AHL top scorer RHP.

That being said he was still way too low lmao top 5 AINEC.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Thats not an easy prospect pool to rank so Ill do my best:

1-Slaf
2-Mailloux (kid is playing better and better and the upside is crazy high)
3-Guhle
4-Dobes (starter upside)
5-Mesar
6-Beck
7-Hutson
8-Xhekaj
9-Heineman
10-Farrell
11-Engstrom
12-Guindon
13-Ylonen
14-Harris
15-Barron
16-Rohrer
17-Roy
18-Kidney
19-Primeau
20-Tuch
21-Mysak
22-Norlinder
23-RHP
24-Davidson
25-Trudeau

Reactions: KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think the most underrated prospect right now in Habs system is Vinzenz Rohrer. What a pick by Habs. We talk about Slafkovsky, Mesar, Beck and Hutson, but Rohrer looks too like a futur NHL'er with very good upside. He is more than a 3rd rounder.

That prospect pool is very very good and the best part is that Suzuki, Caufield and Dach are still very young.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

1-Slaf
3-Guhle
4-Dobes (starter upside)
5-Mesar
6-Beck
7-Hutson
8-Xhekaj
9-Heineman
10-Farrell
11-Engstrom
12-Guindon
13-Ylonen
14-Harris
15-Barron
16-Rohrer
17-Roy
18-Kidney
19-Primeau
20-Tuch
21-Mysak
22-Norlinder
23-RHP
24-Davidson
25-Trudeau

Great job, my mine:

1 - Slafkovsky.
2 - Guhle.
3 - Beck.
4 - Mailloux.
5 - Hutson.
6 - Mesar ( I really like him, but Beck and Hutson looks very special to me, but Mesar too have high potential, for sure).
7 - Dobes.
8 - Harris (top 4 d-man for sure, his potential is very high).
9 - Heineman.
10 - Xhekaj.
11- Farrell.
12 - Rohrer (first surprise right there, i'm very high on him, underrated prospect, I really like everything about him).
13 - Barron.
14 - Roy.
15 - Engstrom. Close with Kidney, they have both good skillset.

Reactions: Goldenhands

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I can look at the prospects the Habs have and say comfortably this is the best prospect pool I've saw since I joined this board. What I am still not good at is projecting where the NHL will be in 3-5 years time when most of these prospects are far enough along their development arc to push for the NHL. The league is getting so much more talented every year and I suspect despite the excitement now and the general agreement that this is the strongest pool most of us have seen, that it is likely only 1 or 2 of these players are impact NHLers, and maybe 5-6 of them play 100 games (excluding players that graduated this year).

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Gulhe
Slaf
Harris
Xhekaj
- - - - - - -
Hutson
Beck
Mesar
Barron
Mailloux
Farrell
Roy
Heineman
Kidney
Dobes
RHP
Trudeau
Primeau
Guidon
Rohrer
Davidson
Biondi
Smilanic
Engstrom
Dichow

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

1-Slaf
3-Guhle
4-Dobes (starter upside)
5-Mesar
6-Beck
7-Hutson
8-Xhekaj
9-Heineman
10-Farrell
11-Engstrom
12-Guindon
13-Ylonen
14-Harris
15-Barron
16-Rohrer
17-Roy
18-Kidney
19-Primeau
20-Tuch
21-Mysak

22-Norlinder
23-RHP
24-Davidson
25-Trudeau

Did you do this on purpose? :DD

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Hedman
Kucherov
Point
Stamkos/Sergachev/cirelli/Vasilevsky/Palat/Mcdonagh

Point lead the league in goals for 2 POs straight, like gimme a break man, thats insane support.

I dont give a flying cuck what Tampa fan think, Ive seen enough of Hedman to know hes a straight top 15 defender of all-time and that Kucherov is the best winger in the league.
Point is the 2nd most important player on that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad