Prospect Info: 2022 8OA, Marco Kasper

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Top 9, got it. To your list of four add Kasper. I will search , but near certain I deleted the telecast. They had JV,centering Burger and Motte with Watson as 13. They also walked through the log jam on the blue line and in net and concluded that if any prospect were to be added, they would need to make a trade/waive. Of course, they said anything is possible, but thought all the prospects who didn't need waivers would start the year in GR.

This turned into the truth, and preliminary roster. Still more cuts to come and, possibly, trades that bring one of them back to Detroit.

Would love to see the payback for the Walman move be the Sharks pick up Holl so the Wings aren't cap hit.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Honestly, I think he has been the best player, not only best prospect.
I might agree, but obviously one has to stay reasonable and understand the vets are going at 60-80% capacity.

I'm one of Kasper's biggest supporters here but I think we need to hold off judgement a bit. Someone could tweak something in practice on tuesday and Kasper's back up. Berggren could go scoreless the first few games and be dumped for a pick. There's a ton of possibilities where Kasper still plays like 70+ NHL games this season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This turned into the truth, and preliminary roster. Still more cuts to come and, possibly, trades that bring one of them back to Detroit.

Would love to see the payback for the Walman move be the Sharks pick up Holl so the Wings aren't cap hit.

Veleno, Berggren, Matta traded for a #4 RD and 2 minor leaguers. Mazur and Kasper up.

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
He's played with the most intensity. It's a kick in the balls to send a guy down when he's very obviously earned that spot and the only reason a few bums get to stay is the GM has to do more work to move them.
Yzerman's the one bringing these bums ... its funny last season I said bring in motte and Watson as depth guys to the kids develop an extra season

He delays bringing them a year and delays the kids. I cant see how future ncaa kids refuse to sign here. Even top 10 picks get they're nhl starts at 21.

Everyone else 23-24 despite some being ready

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
You guys gotta stop defending everything yzerman does, he does a lot of dumb shit that holland would do. If kasper isn’t on the opening night roster that’s a disgrace, flat out. I’m really really tired of this, and I hope it’s just for the time being but it gets fixed soon. Either way, kasper makes our team better, and if we want to be actually pushing for the playoffs instead of just giving lip service that we want to, he needs to be on the team.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Do we think it's Berggren whose stopping him from being up at this point? Honestly, I think it comes at the expense of Veleno.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Tarasenko - Compher - Kane

Motte - Fischer - Watson are all checking line/physical wingers and depth guys used on a rotation are going to eat pretty awful minutes...don't really want to waste 8 min a night of Kasper on that.

Berggren is streaky, one-dimensional winger with upside; that's not exactly the role that Kasper is looking to fill. Honestly, Burger is a good winger for Kasper (as proven by last year).

The idea that our third line would be Berggren - Kasper - Rasmussen (basically what Copp centered 2 years ago)

And keeping a 4th line and 1st grouping for PK Motte - Copp - Fischer/Watson

I think it's Joey V whose the odd man out here.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Do we think it's Berggren whose stopping him from being up at this point? Honestly, I think it comes at the expense of Veleno.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Tarasenko - Compher - Kane

Motte - Fischer - Watson are all checking line/physical wingers and depth guys used on a rotation are going to eat pretty awful minutes...don't really want to waste 8 min a night of Kasper on that.

Berggren is streaky, one-dimensional winger with upside; that's not exactly the role that Kasper is looking to fill. Honestly, Burger is a good winger for Kasper (as proven by last year).

The idea that our third line would be Berggren - Kasper - Rasmussen (basically what Copp centered 2 years ago)

And keeping a 4th line and 1st grouping for PK Motte - Copp - Fischer/Watson

I think it's Joey V whose the odd man out here.
Well if bums like copp and weren’t on the team kasper could easily be on the roster but yzerman gave him basically an untradeable contract. Only way we get rid of idiots like copp and holl is if we pay assets to get rid of them, like Walman.

Reactions: wingsfannn919191

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Well if bums like copp and weren’t on the team kasper could easily be on the roster but yzerman gave him basically an untradeable contract. Only way we get rid of idiots like copp and holl is if we pay assets to get rid of them, like Walman.

I dunno, I have a more favorable opinion of Copp than most. That being said, I've been a big #teamkasper guy here for years and I don't really want Kasper to do what Copp does. He's too good for that. I think it's Veleno whose kind of the redundant depth piece here.

Copp is what he is...he's a 40pt C who plays a pretty uninspired 2-way game but eats hard minutes, takes the in zone face offs, is first on the PK, throws his body around and works hard. That's some rough minutes. There aren't many people here who are high on Kasper as I am but if you told me he needed to come in here and take Copp's minutes? Pass.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I didn’t see any of the preseason games. Were they playing Kasper at center or wing?

I’m wondering if it’s another case of wanting him to play big minutes and not fourth line. But to center the 3rd line he’s got to be able to take faceoffs and not get crushed.

Hopefully he gets real time in the lineup this season. I want to see our shiny new toys.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
That's my hope. Optimistic Yzerman has something still in the works but only time will tell...
Yeah, not expecting any trades by any team until Tuesday once the waivers are all done and rosters set, there does not seem to be any team in dire straits to get to the floor or dump cap yet.

Reactions: heyfolks

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/detro...ews/breaking-red-wings-trim-roster-down-to-28

This is f***ing dumb. Sending Kasper down when he's been the best of the Wings prospects in the preseason. AND one of the very best wings forwards every game he's been in. Better than Motte, Veleno, Fischer, Watson, Rasmussen, Berggren and even Tank. This kid 100% deserved a spot on the opening night roster.

I honestly don't understand why are you surprised. Last year they had a shitty defense core with two 3rd pairings and basically one or two reliable defensemen. Edvinsson was at least 3rd best defenseman in pre-season and still got demoted. This year there is no necessity in keeping Kasper up, why do you think Yzerman do so? That's how he rolls, deal with it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think i'm reaching the point where i've become pretty numb to this stuff

which is a little depressing to think about

Reactions: DoMakc

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
It is all about asset management. Kasper has waiver options. Keeping him means losing leverage in any deal to make space for him. Why would any GM to that until he sees what moves can be made as other teams trim their roster?

I hope the roster on opening day goes on a 30 game win streak and the kids have to fight like hell in GR to get space on the big club. The reality is not in favor of this outcome. Injuries, lack of chemistry inability to grow into a regular at the NHL level, surprise player availability in a trade, whatever, will create opportunities in most years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad