Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I quite sure that pick was Slaf related. Because his size and skill definitely not the reason. Not doubt it worked to a degree, bringing in his best friend. Adding more confidence to Slaf.. But blind luck it never cost team Hutson
It is crazy to think Habs drafted Mesar for his friendship with Slaf.
He has skill- transition, top speed and great vision. He is still very inconsistent and not enough competitive, physical.
I would never pick him so high, but we heavily lacked top6 potential young players when he was picked. We only had Suzuki, Caufield and added Slaf, Dach during draft. Prospect pool was dry.
I guess they learned from this mistake a bit and avoid drafting small skilled guys. They drafted Merrill ahead Khanin.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I say that they want to see how he plays against men in the AHL. If he doesn't pan out he will be one of many late first round picks to bust. I am not ready to jettison this player. Hughes knows what he is doing.

I’m just not sure about the idea of putting all your heavy players on the same line. Kidney + Mesar could use a guy like Tuch or Thorpe for puck battles for example. Didn't like Mesar’s game yesterday but this isn’t helping

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I’m just not sure about the idea of putting all your heavy players on the same line. Kidney + Mesar could use a guy like Tuch or Thorpe for puck battles for example. Didn't like Mesar’s game yesterday but this isn’t helping

its surprisingly bad coaching, just the fact that he had 5 big guys at once in a rookie game should make anyone scratch their heads

Reactions: Pomee

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Kitchener Rangers STH here who has watched Mesar the last two years.

When he first came to Kitchener he was FLYING out there. All over the ice and giving 100% effort. Created chance after chance. Then as the season settled in he didn’t really give a BEEP. His effort was completely gone.

Last season he played much better. I hate to knock the coach but he should have played on a different line last year. Mesar is amazing at zone entries. He comes flying in with speed and then as the defenders back up he slows down and lets the play develop. His problem last year was that he played a lot with Carson Rehkopf. Now you may be thinking why was it bad that he played with a 52 goal scorer? The problem was that Rehkopf likes to carry the puck into the offensive zone and create. Many times dangle and try to beat the defenceman. Those two players should have been on separate lines. That way each player could play to their strengths. Mesar was second fiddle on the line. But when those two were split up then Mesar just didn’t have a sniper to pass the puck to. I swear he would set up teammates and they wouldn’t convert grade A scoring chances.

The playoffs came around and he was by far Kitcheners best player. If he plays like that and like the way he had played in spurts during the two OHL seasons, plus how he played at the World Juniors then the Habs have a player.

He almost reminds me of the Habs version of Jonathan Drouin. Speedy pass first guy who needs someone who can score on his line.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Kitchener Rangers STH here who has watched Mesar the last two years.

When he first came to Kitchener he was FLYING out there. All over the ice and giving 100% effort. Created chance after chance. Then as the season settled in he didn’t really give a BEEP. His effort was completely gone.

Last season he played much better. I hate to knock the coach but he should have played on a different line last year. Mesar is amazing at zone entries. He comes flying in with speed and then as the defenders back up he slows down and lets the play develop. His problem last year was that he played a lot with Carson Rehkopf. Now you may be thinking why was it bad that he played with a 52 goal scorer? The problem was that Rehkopf likes to carry the puck into the offensive zone and create. Many times dangle and try to beat the defenceman. Those two players should have been on separate lines. That way each player could play to their strengths. Mesar was second fiddle on the line. But when those two were split up then Mesar just didn’t have a sniper to pass the puck to. I swear he would set up teammates and they wouldn’t convert grade A scoring chances.

The playoffs came around and he was by far Kitcheners best player. If he plays like that and like the way he had played in spurts during the two OHL seasons, plus how he played at the World Juniors then the Habs have a player.

He almost reminds me of the Habs version of Jonathan Drouin. Speedy pass first guy who needs someone who can score on his line.
This is what I've seen too in my ~30 games watched or so.

The competitive/compete level were things never talked about before with him. In fact, I remember hearing his compete level was very good.

It's no secret he was against junior hockey from the start. And it has seemed to have changed his game thus far.

But when his effort level is up, he's a game changer. Hopefully finally playing against men like he wanted will be a big help. It's easy for many personalities to slack off in junior hockey when you are brand new to a country and can coast and still be one of the best on your team.

It's not a great quality, but some players need to be challenged to get the most out themselves. He tried to tell the organization that from Day 1. Let's see if he can prove that he was right this year.

Plus it's crazy how backwards some fans are. "No compete!!!" yet grew up with Alex Kovalev posters on their wall.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
I like mesar a lot. I think he does all the right things on the ice, he's very responsible with and without the puck. And he's obviously very skilled too.

I hope he can get on the coaches good side.
For various reasons I havent got the chance to watch Mesar play yet. All I can go by is the comments. It feels good to read something positive for a change.

Because according to the mob, it feels like Mesar has the IQ of a Yakupov, the usefulness of a 2012 Scott Gomez, and the lazyness + entitlement of a PLD.

Let the boy play.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Mesar would do well modeling himself after Logan Morrison, in the hard work sense.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Mesar certainly had a better 2nd day then 1st, it was just pickup summer hockey so we'll see how camp goes for him.
Yeah, I think he looked way better on the 2nd day.

He does have some special qualites as a player. He skates well in transition with the puck and seems showed some nifty handling and sneaky playmaking. He needs to learn how to apply his skills more consistently and effectively, though. He seems to stay on the perimeter too much in the O zone. He'll need to find a way to get inside more to be able to become more dangerous offensively. I'm not sure how much of a "B" game he has, so if he can't create offensive consistently he'll struggle to find a spot in the NHL.

Reactions: Pomee and montreal

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He reminds me of Sherbak . Skilled. likable, saying right things, But with Sherbak I noticed pic popping up about him and girlfriend. Now Mesar, guy always mentioning girlfriend. I guess it just seems both havent focused on putting in all the work and time needed to get to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad