Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It does seem like he hasn't quite figured the smaller ice yet. He's not playing a NA type of game at all.

Players that chose to work hard only when they feel like it often don't pan out. He's either going to get the message or he will be in the Euro leagues with Norlinder in no time.

At what point do we cut our losses and just move on?

See how the year goes and re-evaluate from there.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Players that chose to work hard only when they feel like it often don't pan out. He's either going to get the message or he will be in the Euro leagues with Norlinder in no time.

See how the year goes and re-evaluate from there.

He just doesn't seem to want it bad enough, I get a Martin Reway vibe off of him. He will need to be tenacious to play in the NHL as his skill set while being somewhat impressive is not elite and with him being undersized he will need to show that he is willing to outwork his opponents. Mesar absolutely floated through todays game as though he is entitled to do so as a 1st rounder and it was gross to have to watch.

I just don't see him putting it together from the evidence at hand. Who knows, perhaps he decides to train and work like a professional this year or perhaps he is content with having a girlfriend and playing hockey over seas.......I suspect the latter is closer to the truth at this point.

If he does bust at least his pick wasn't entirely wasted as we made up for it with Hutson, Beck, Engstrom and maybe even Rohrer and Davidson later in the same draft.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It’s too late to trade him, his value is probably very low now. Let’s see what he can do in the AHL but my expectations are not very high

This is the other risk with drafting smaller skill players with high picks. If they struggle at all they lose almost all of their trade value. If Mesar was a big forward with a little bit of skill he could still potentially be a valued asset in a teams bottom six.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He's not skilled enough to play a finesse game, he has yet to realize this.

And I can't see him turning into a bulldog forechecker who gets the puck. He doesn't have the mentality nor the physical attributes.

If you tell him to watch Lehkonen tapes and mold his game around that, he will probably sulk. Vincent will try, but I predict he will break and go learn chinese instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kojo and Andrei79

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's not skilled enough to play a finesse game, he has yet to realize this.

And I can't seem him turning into a like bulldog forechecker who gets the puck. He doesn't have the mentality nor the physical attributes.

If you tell him to watch Lehkonen tapes and mold his game around that, he will probably sulk.

I wish that I didn't agree with you on this but you are correct, he will need to show a lot more jam to his game and he needs to do it now.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
He just doesn't seem to want it bad enough, I get a Martin Reway vibe off of him. He will need to be tenacious to play in the NHL as his skill set while being somewhat impressive is not elite and with him being undersized he will need to show that he is willing to outwork his opponents. Mesar absolutely floated through todays game as though he is entitled to do so as a 1st rounder and it was gross to have to watch.

I just don't see him putting it together from the evidence at hand. Who knows, perhaps he decides to train and work like a professional this year or perhaps he is content with having a girlfriend and playing hockey over seas.......I suspect the latter is closer to the truth at this point.

If he does bust at least his pick wasn't entirely wasted as we made up for it with Hutson, Beck, Engstrom and maybe even Rohrer and Davidson later in the same draft.

He looked better in the third.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
I am saying this as a Slovak fan so this is not easy to say but Mesar is NHL bust. (I think this is the first time I have used this word for any prospect)

I have seen enough of him he is going back to Europe next season after AHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Slovak Extraliga in a few years.

I cant believe he still thinks he can just cruise around the ice with his height and size and land a job in the nhl. This kid thinks he is the next offensive superstar literally gives 0% **** about defense or doing any dirty work.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
First round pick, third rookie camp and still looks like a bust.

Trade him while its not too late.
I quite sure that pick was Slaf related. Because his size and skill definitely not the reason. Not doubt it worked to a degree, bringing in his best friend. Adding more confidence to Slaf.. But blind luck it never cost team Hutson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mesar's gonna be fine. He didn't have a bad game yesterday. He didn't stand out yesterday because the Habs have a balanced prospect pool.

Other than Hutson and Engstrom, no one really stood out yesterday. Yet the Habs played a good game.

Back to Mesar, he was using his speed a lot of times to get to the puck first. He would back check. He'd be making passes while in full stride.

He's become a lot of people's whipping boy because he didn't score 100 pts in junior. Yet he was just under a PPG his first year, was over a PPG his second year + playoffs. Was over a PPG player in both WJC. Had a point in 2 AHL games last year before being send back to Kitchener.

The guy's gonna be fine. He might need more time, but he'll be good.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Mesar's gonna be fine. He didn't have a bad game yesterday. He didn't stand out yesterday because the Habs have a balanced prospect pool.

Other than Hutson and Engstrom, no one really stood out yesterday. Yet the Habs played a good game.

Back to Mesar, he was using his speed a lot of times to get to the puck first. He would back check. He'd be making passes while in full stride.

He's become a lot of people's whipping boy because he didn't score 100 pts in junior. Yet he was just under a PPG his first year, was over a PPG his second year + playoffs. Was over a PPG player in both WJC. Had a point in 2 AHL games last year before being send back to Kitchener.

The guy's gonna be fine. He might need more time, but he'll be good.
He also had 16 points in 10 playoff games. Folks need to lighten up on these kids.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Here is my critique of the "wait and see" approach

Obviously if you wait enough time you never have to make any actual judgements or decisions on players because the facts will be revealed to you eventually. While accurate, that approach is not conducive to being an NHL GM.

Being a good NHL GM really comes down to 2 things:

1. Being able to evaluate talent
2. Being able to evaluate the talent EARLY, before every other GM has

The earlier you are able to make accurate predictions of future success, the better GM you become, just like chess. So while it is a tough part of the business, the best GMs are able to move on from prospects early who aren't progressing how they like.

For example, Sakic made the right decision to trade Barron early in his career.

So for Mesar, of course he still has a chance at turning into something, but he was a poor use of assets and if any opportunity comes along to recoup some of that value, Hughes should jump on it and not just wait patiently for him to bust.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Obviously if you wait enough time you never have to make any actual judgements or decisions on players because the facts will be revealed to you eventually. While accurate, that approach is not conducive to being an NHL GM.

The earlier you are able to make accurate predictions of future success, the better GM you become, just like chess. So while it is a tough part of the business, the best GMs are able to move on from prospects early who aren't progressing how they like.

So for Mesar, of course he still has a chance at turning into something, but he was a poor use of assets and if any opportunity comes along to recoup some of that value, Hughes should jump on it and not just wait patiently for him to bust.
I say that they want to see how he plays against men in the AHL. If he doesn't pan out he will be one of many late first round picks to bust. I am not ready to jettison this player. Hughes knows what he is doing.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb

sakic traded byram because he needed a second line center asap. if the habs are in playoff race at the deadline this year and need someone to make a push, mešar could be traded for sure. but hugo wont trade him just for sake of trading him.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I say that they want to see how he plays against men in the AHL. If he doesn't pan out he will be one of many late first round picks to bust. I am not ready to jettison this player. Hughes knows what he is doing.
Of course a late 1st rounder busting is the expected outcome.

Picking the guy who doesn't bust, or moving on from him when it is clear he will, is it what separates the Elite GMs.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
It’s a rookie showdown with a number of players people have never heard of….. on both sides. Our team looked like they were playing with a tennis ball.

HuGo have no plans to trade any of these guys based on this two game “howdy-do”. Mesar’s line looked out of sync like a lot of other lines.
Give him a steady shift on the Rocket for a year then have a look.
Mesar isn’t my favourite prospect but at #26 he looked fine plus Beck & Hutson’s development help insulate him from a lot of scrutiny.

Cheers

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I quite sure that pick was Slaf related. Because his size and skill definitely not the reason. Not doubt it worked to a degree, bringing in his best friend. Adding more confidence to Slaf.. But blind luck it never cost team Hutson
I am sure it was not completely Slaf related. If Hughes was going to do things like that he would have drafted his own son. I suspect that they felt that there were several players (Kulich, Mesar etc) that were similar or equal and they went with the one that had a connection to Slaf. They aren't spending a 1st just to get a friend of a high pick. Maybe a 4th or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad