2022-23 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I'm guessing Utica fans are happy with the Devils pick.

Potential Defense pairing of Nemec and Mukhamadullin for Utica next year? Sounds pretty good to me.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Doesn’t Mukhamadullin have another year on his KHL deal also? Do we know if he went back home for the summer? His contract situation seems unique.
Mukh signed with the Devils but originally was going to be loaned back to Russia for next year.

Reading the tea leaves, I think that has changed and he stays in the US but I don’t know if there has been an official statement.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets still have Russo (1) and Walsh (2).
One of Bahl or OK will be here (3) and depending upon what Fitz does in the offseason at picking up an NHL vet for the right side and if they give Ty a lengthy stretch to see if he can rebound from a soph. slump, both could start out in Utica.
Mukh (4) and Nemec (5).
Vukojevic (6)
Groleau (7)

That wouldn't be a bad 7 (or 8) by any means! For NJ that would be an outstanding development program at work for D-men. All but 1 are NJ prospects.

White is still lurking in the wings. Would rather they do something else with him and use the spot for a proven AHL veteran center who has a history of high point totals particularly in the assist column. There are still going to be good be good wing prospects here and they need COMPETENT PLAYMAKING CENTERS which was the achilles heel in last year's lineup,

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm guessing Utica fans are happy with the Devils pick.

Potential Defense pairing of Nemec and Mukhamadullin for Utica next year? Sounds pretty good to me.
It would be possible but since both are natural RD-men, not likely.
Here's a rarity. The Comets would have 4 RD in Nemec, Mukhamadullin, Walsh, and Russo. No more having to employ Lefties on the right side.

Vukojevic, Bahl, Okhotiuk, Groleau are lefties. 3 of these 4 are likely to at least start the season in Utica. If perchance Ok and Bahl were to both be in NJ leaving Groleau as the 3rd LD, you might get to see the Mukh/Nemec pairing as I don't see any of the 4 righties scratched while Groleau is in the lineup.

In hindsight I don't see any of those 4 righties scratched period, so one of them will be on the left side every night. Your Nemec/Mukh pairing might just happen.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
It would be possible but since both are natural RD-men, not likely.
Here's a rarity. The Comets would have 4 RD in Nemec, Mukhamadullin, Walsh, and Russo. No more having to employ Lefties on the right side.

Vukojevic, Bahl, Okhotiuk, Groleau are lefties. 3 of these 4 are likely to at least start the season in Utica. If perchance Ok and Bahl were to both be in NJ leaving Groleau as the 3rd LD, you might get to see the Mukh/Nemec pairing as I don't see any of the 4 righties scratched while Groleau is in the lineup.

In hindsight I don't see any of those 4 righties scratched period, so one of them will be on the left side every night. Your Nemec/Mukh pairing might just happen.
perhaps I'm wrong but I thought Mukhamadullin was a LD.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Good news for the Comets.

Great news for NJ and the Comets. He'll get a lot of ice time on NA ice at 18 years of age. He won't be 19 until February, 15. It can only help him get to the show that much faster with an understand of how the game is played in NA when he gets there making the transition much easier, maybe even seasmlessly.

Form Everything I've been able to find he seems to be a guy we will love to watch for how ever long he may be here. Comets D for this coming season looks to be better than last. Everyone is more experienced except Mukh and Simon who have both played with men coming in. Have to wait for the opening night roster, but it looks good from here at the moment.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Good news for the Comets.

This is a welcome change from the European players who usually run back home the second they don't get selected for the NHL roster. Both Mukh and Nemec chosing to play over here is a breath of fresh air. Much more likely to get a taste of the NHL since they are just up the road from NJ vs across the Atlantic and half of Europe. Not going to get a call-up from over there. In most cases their contracts won't let them out until their season ends.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Watched the Fitz presser, It looks like Muk is going back to his Russian team (UFA)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Watched the Fitz presser, It looks like Muk is going back to his Russian team (UFA)
I had a feeling all the talk of Mukh coming to the AHL for $70K was just wishful thinking. It's the general theme of the Europeans. It's NHL or bust for the majority. I think the Devils have talked Nemec out of it. Word says he will be happy to play in Utica. I'm hoping it turns out that way.

Devils are going to have to find a couple more AHL competent D-men for the Comets or NHL UFA capables for themselves. Lots of summer remaining.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I had a feeling all the talk of Mukh coming to the AHL for $70K was just wishful thinking. It's the general theme of the Europeans. It's NHL or bust for the majority. I think the Devils have talked Nemec out of it. Word says he will be happy to play in Utica. I'm hoping it turns out that way.

Devils are going to have to find a couple more AHL competent D-men for the Comets or NHL UFA capables for themselves. Lots of summer remaining.

Mukhamadullin is playing under his NHL contract in Ufa, so money doesn't really enter into it, it's just where he feels comfortable and it seems like he feels more comfortable in Ufa.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Mukhamadullin is playing under his NHL contract in Ufa, so money doesn't really enter into it, it's just where he feels comfortable and it seems like he feels more comfortable in Ufa.
Because to him it's NHL or bust. He played here in the playoffs and perhaps the AHL just isn't big time enough for him.

I've been watching this act in the AHL for many years now and it is very frequent. I've even seen many ask for an out in season to go back even when getting lots of ice time. Not starring has been a problem with some of them and out they go.

I'll simply agree to disagree. I don't want to get into a long back and forth.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
To be honest, I don't think there would have been enough minutes in Utica if Muk decided to play there. Let's leave PP minutes to Nemec and Walsh. Hopfully this is the year Mulhamadullin sustains his production the full year in the KHL.

Nemec
Bahl/Okhotiuk
Walsh
Vukojevi
Russo

That's 5. He would have been 6. Dineen runs with three pairs. He would have received plenty of ice.
Groleau was #7 for a lot of last season and would probably have found himself there once again and still may. They will have to pick up at least one AHL level D-man now and 2 if they have any brains.

One would work only if Bahl and OK are both here due to moves made by Fitz. I could see White ending up in that position for Utica this season.
It will be something like this:

Bahl or OK/Nemec
White/Walsh
Vukojevic/Russo

Groleau/New guy

Unfortunately, White puts 2 Vet D-men in the lineup leaving room up front for only 2 Vet forwards since Gambardella becomes a VE and Greer becomes a Vet. You can't explain any reason on God's green earth that they would allow Greer to sign elsewhere. He was the guts of the experienced forwards who had the soul of a determined hockey player that the kids need to follow. The 2nd Vet with that status was Deleo. Really like to see him back here as well. Those 2 remaining Vet forward spots NEED TO BE CENTERS! Deleo could be one of them.

Wotherspoon was the Vet straw stirring the D last season and his re-signing would be dependent on White's status. No room for both of them.

That would mean the Vets would be:
1 Russo (V)
2 White/Wotherspoon/newbie (V)
3 Greer (V)
4 Deleo #2 center (V)
5 #1 center V/VE
6 Gambardella (VE)

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
That's 5. He would have been 6. Dineen runs with three pairs. He would have received plenty of ice.
Groleau was #7 for a lot of last season and would probably have found himself there once again and still may. They will have to pick up at least one AHL level D-man now and 2 if they have any brains.

One would work only if Bahl and OK are both here due to moves made by Fitz. I could see White ending up in that position for Utica this season.

Bahl or OK/Nemec
White/Walsh
Vukojevic/Russo

Groleau/New guy

Unfortunately, White puts 2 Vet D-men in the lineup leaving room up front for only 2 Vet forwards since Gambardella becomes a VE and Greer becomes a Vet. You can't explain any reason on God's green earth that they would allow Greer to sign elsewhere. He was the guts of the experienced forwards who had the soul of a determined hockey player that the kids need to follow. The 2nd Vet with that status was Deleo. Really like to see him back here as well. Those 2 remaining Vet forward spots NEED TO BE CENTERS! Deleo could be one of them.

Wotherspoon was the Vet straw stirring the D last season and his re-signing would be dependent on White's status. No room for both of them.

That would mean the Vets would be:
1 Russo (V)
2 White/Wotherspoon/newbie (V)
3 Greer (V)
4 Deleo #2 center (V)
5 #1 center V/VE
6 Gambardella (VE)
Someone needs to tell MacKinnon to sign Logan Morrison. I'm pretty sure he would be their top center and not use up a veteran slot. He really should have been drafted, but being passed over 3 times, he's free to go. I wanted us to draft him as early as third round.

Here's a great write up for him.
Post in thread 'Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z' Prospect Info: - Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Bahl or OK/Nemec
White/Walsh
Vukojevic/Russo

Groleau/New guy
I don't want Muk in NA to be the #5 or #6 dmen in the AHL. He probably plays top 4 with PP in the KHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Someone needs to tell MacKinnon to sign Logan Morrison. I'm pretty sure he would be their top center and not use up a veteran slot. He really should have been drafted, but being passed over 3 times, he's free to go. I wanted us to draft him as early as third round.

Here's a great write up for him.
Post in thread 'Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z' Prospect Info: - Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z
Don't tell me! Get the word to Fitz and Co.
MacKinnon just signs guys to AHL contracts and assigns them to ECHL Adirondack. When they are desperate for injury and call-up needs, they all suck.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't want Muk in NA to be the #5 or #6 dmen in the AHL. He probably plays top 4 with PP in the KHL.
People on here had projected him to be a Devil this season. You think the best he could do would be 5or 6 in Utica? That's a far cry from a Devil.

Yet he is a #4 inthe KHL. Is the KHL a lesser league than the AHL? That's not where they are ranked. Maybe Russia is better for him after all.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think there were many people here expecting Mukhamadullin to be on the Devils next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca