2021 Season Predictions

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I like JEE, but haven't seen much evidence of offensive skill. He has a decent shot that he seldom uses, and his passing and puck handling skills are mediocre for a top 6 C. Can't remember anything of note he has ever done on the PP.

He's still young, and there is hope, but it's hard to tell a guy to change his game in midstream after being groomed to be a defensive shutdown C.

Hey, he led the team in P/60 and G/60 on the PP last year..... 1 goal, in 6 minutes of icetime.

But you can't blame him for not producing on the PP when he's avg 6 minutes of PP time a season. Not that he should have played over those that did get the time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No, not blaming him, but it's hard to just flip the switch and have JEE turn into an offensive C. Would love nothing better than to put up a 50+ point season playing with Kaprizov and/or Fiala.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
No, not blaming him, but it's hard to just flip the switch and have JEE turn into an offensive C. Would love nothing better than to put up a 50+ point season playing with Kaprizov and/or Fiala.
he had 29 points in 62 games last year in the shut down role. do you really think he couldnt get to 50 in an offensive role?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm saying he never has come even close, and expecting him to, when the team has pigeon holed him as a defensive 3C, is really optimistic. I don't see a lot of offensive potential in him. Offensive plays tend to die on his stick. He's all about dumping the puck into the O zone, then going in and grinding.

Last year, he and ( maligned for his lack of offensive skill)Brodin tied in points.

I hope I am wrong, and JEE turns into the next Krecji.

Last edited:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm saying he never has come even close, and expecting him to, when the team has pigeon holed him as a defensive 3C, is really optimistic. I don't see a lot of offensive potential in him. Offensive plays tend to die on his stick. He's all about dumping the puck into the O zone, then going in and grinding.
being informed to get the puck d and grind it out as a 3rd line shutdown C does not mean he cant improve and change that mindset. just because he listens to his coaches doesnt mean he cant create offense. he has the tools to be a good offensive C. he needs the opportunity. if given steady pp time along with top 6 usage i dont see how he cant get to 50 points.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
shot, puck possession skills, passing ability. if you give him fiala and kap by no means does he need to dangle.
He's got a decent shot, but has poor offensive instincts. He doesn't know when to use it. I think he's an ok passer, but doesn't have great vision to find the open man... as others have mentioned, dumps the puck... even in situations where it doesn't seem he has to.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's got a decent shot, but has poor offensive instincts. He doesn't know when to use it. I think he's an ok passer, but doesn't have great vision to find the open man... as others have mentioned, dumps the puck... even in situations where it doesn't seem he has to.

I think you're overblowing his offensive deficiencies. There were several times last season where he showed he could make good offensive plays, and they either didn't work out, or his linemates weren't good enough to take advantage, but he's not devoid of offensive ability. No one here is claiming he's going to become Elias Pettersson if you put him in the top 6. Most of the people who are against trying him in the top 6 seem to be conflating a dynamic skillset with efficacy.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Which I just said myself. I feel he has the ability... just has poor instincts.

Yeah I don't agree. I think that's what it looks like when you pigeonhole a guy into a defensive role for three years. Again, there were several times where he showed he could make those plays this season.

His draft day scouting report was an offensive, goal scoring center with good vision, a great shot, and a good work ethic.

His weaknesses at the draft were physical edge and defense. Then the Wild got a hold of him and tried to turn him into a defensive center, because for some reason, god forbid, we develop an offensive center.

Which I just said myself. I feel he has the ability... just has poor instincts.

Instinct is trained. If you force the guy to only play in a defensive role, his instincts are going to be to that side of the game. If you put the guy in offensive roles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah I don't agree. I think that's what it looks like when you pigeonhole a guy into a defensive role for three years. Again, there were several times where he showed he could make those plays this season.

His draft day scouting report was an offensive, goal scoring center with good vision, a great shot, and a good work ethic.

His weaknesses at the draft were physical edge and defense. Then the Wild got a hold of him and tried to turn him into a defensive center, because for some reason, god forbid, we develop an offensive center.

Instinct is trained. If you force the guy to only play in a defensive role, his instincts are going to be to that side of the game. If you put the guy in offensive roles...

Yet, some players put in offensive positions never develop those instincts, because they just don't have the feel for it.

Having the ability but not the instincts often times results in flashes of what you're looking for, but the player never finds it consistently, because they just can't think the game that way naturally.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yet, some players put in offensive positions never develop those instincts, because they just don't have the feel for it.

Yeah, I know, I just watched Mikko Koivu lead this offense for 15 years.

Having the ability but not the instincts often times results in flashes of what you're looking for, but the player never finds it consistently, because they just can't think the game that way naturally.

And all indications pre-Wild indicate he had no problems, so what's the issue with trying? Especially when we have no better options this season anyway.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, I know, I just watched Mikko Koivu lead this offense for 15 years.

And all indications pre-Wild indicate he had no problems, so what's the issue with trying? Especially when we have no better options this season anyway.
I never said anything about trying, I just offered my opinion on the situation since it was being discussed that putting him there will mean success. I don't think that's a given.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
he had 29 points in 62 games last year in the shut down role. do you really think he couldnt get to 50 in an offensive role?
That's exactly what I think. And I would add that a center playing 1st line minutes with Kaprizov and Fiala that has to scratch to get to 50 points? That's a center that has no business playing that role.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I never said anything about trying, I just offered my opinion on the situation since it was being discussed that putting him there will mean success. I don't think that's a given.

I don't think many people are arguing that it's a given he'll succeed there, so who are you arguing against?

That's exactly what I think. And I would add that a center playing 1st line minutes with Kaprizov and Fiala that has to scratch to get to 50 points? That's a center that has no business playing that role.

Danault...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I'm going to guess that you didn't actually watch that video, because that's a 3rd liner's highlight reel

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm going to guess that you didn't actually watch that video, because that's a 3rd liner's highlight reel

I watched it, and it shows he has good offensive instincts in an offensive role.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I watched it, and it shows he has good offensive instincts in an offensive role.
It shows he has a good shot, which we agree on...

His passing is ok... which I think we also agree on.

Not sure it shows anything about offensive instincts being good enough for the NHL though since the speed is so much slower and time so much greater at that level vs the NHL, which is what I'm talking about. He doesn't react naturally in offensive situations. Much more deliberate. Doesn't look like he feels it at the NHL level.

Maybe he can prove me wrong, I just don't see it in a Wild uniform yet.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's a video of him jamming loose pucks into the net.

So you didn't watch it, got it.

Also, still this:

Danault...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So you didn't watch it, got it.

Also, still this:

Danault...
This is the part where I ask you to break down the film for us, and you disappear from the conversation. What skills are showcased from a video of Eriksson-Ek scoring on wrap-around jam plays and shooting loose pucks from the slot? What do we learn from him tapping in pucks from a foot away?

Danault? are you talking about the guy that's better than Eriksson-Ek on both ends of the ice? The same guy that I wanted to pair with Eriksson-Ek to handle the middle 6 center spots? Not sure what point you think you're making.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Mayhew is an example of offensive instincts being great for lower levels, yet at the NHL level, completely exposed as being extremely deliberately thought through... not at all instinctual, thus not at all good enough at this level.

Ek is better than Mayhew though, instinctually and otherwise, but still looks to me to not be good enough for what you would expect for a top 6 center.

Again, not against trying to see if that can develop some yet, just not high hopes that we're going to find a offensive gem all of a sudden either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad