2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So pretty much for sure losing Mascherin now right? I mean unless they take a chance on Bishop or Oleksiak

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Call my crazy (or a nerd), but I don't get it. You have two depth players vying for a mostly irrelevant 4th line center role. So you keep the guy who's more expensive, crappier on the PK, and less effective defensively over the last three seasons? Gotta feel like Faksa could have brought back a higher pick too.

Attachments

• download (26).png
    download (26).png
    64.9 KB · Views: 7
  • download (27).png
    download (27).png
    68.5 KB · Views: 7

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Call my crazy (or a nerd), but I don't get it. You have two depth players vying for a mostly irrelevant 4th line center role. So you keep the guy who's more expensive, crappier on the PK, and less effective defensively over the last three seasons? Gotta feel like Faksa could have brought back a higher pick too.

It is interesting, but I'm sure they're betting on Faksa bouncing back. Tbh tho I like Dickinson more than him (I also feel that he is more talented offensively/skilled than Faksa, even if his numbers don't suggest that). There's a reason Dickinson always went head to head against McDavid instead of Faksa. Much better skater and he's also better on the PK I agree.

But oh well, the difference isn't significant enough to worry about but it would've been nice to have some of that extra Faksa cap space. Hope he bounces back to the guy who finished top 10 in selke voting not long ago, otherwise he is an expensive 4th liner

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Yeah, probably should've choose Dickinson over Faksa. Oh well, still happy they were able to get some value out of Dickinson at the very least.

I am betting on a Faksa bounce back though, still think he has all the tools to be effective in his role.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I liked Dickinson better than faksa aswell . I don’t know if Vancouver only wanted Dickinson or not but I’d have to imagine faksa would have sufficed to them . I would have rather traded faksa but whatever , not a huge difference I guess .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I liked Dickinson better than faksa aswell . I don’t know if Vancouver only wanted Dickinson or not but I’d have to imagine faksa would have sufficed to them . I would have rather traded faksa but whatever , not a huge difference I guess .

Benning loves expensive 4th liners so Faksa would've been right up his alley. Bet he signs Dickinson to a 4 year deal tbh. This trade probably works out great for him as well

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Would it be possible for a team to protect a player for another team ? Say we traded mascherin to Detroit for a 3rd. They protect him . After the expansion draft , we trade them the 3rd plus another 3rd or 4th and receive mascherin back .

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
As far as Mascherin being the likely Seattle pick, is what it is. Already kind of resigned to the fact that he's unlikely to find success in Dallas.

I think a team like Colorado, Florida or Tampa could have found a role for him and got some really good secondary scoring, but Dallas isn't that type of organization and that's okay. When you've got a defense first squad, it's a lot tougher to have guys like Mascherin on the team. Team defense is about having no weak links in your own zone. And while I'm sure Mascherin would put in effort, he just doesn't have to tools to be a plus defender.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Would it be possible for a team to protect a player for another team ? Say we traded mascherin to Detroit for a 3rd. They protect him . After the expansion draft , we trade them the 3rd plus another 3rd or 4th and receive mascherin back .

I think I remember reading about a rule that would prevent against this loophole. Don't remember the exact specifics, but I don't think you'd be able to trade him back until February or something.

Edit: found it

Any Player who is transferred (via Waivers or Trade) from one NHL Club’s Reserve List to another NHL Club’s Reserve List from February 1, 2021 through the date of the Expansion Draft (both dates inclusive) may not be reacquired via Trade by his prior NHL Club during the period following the Expansion Draft through January 31, 2022 (both dates inclusive). For the purpose of this provision, the “date of the Expansion Draft” shall be tentatively set as July 21, 2021, but remains subject to change as may be agreed upon between the parties.​

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think I remember reading about a rule that would prevent against this loophole. Don't remember the exact specifics, but I don't think you'd be able to trade him back until February or something.

Edit: found it

Dammit

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Masch is so hard to value right now , he’s either very valuable or not valuable at all .

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
He’s a wild card, as most prospects are. He’s either gonna be a 20 goal scorer or a top line AHLer with no real in between. Personally I’d rather Seattle takes Dickinson over him, just because with Dicky you know you’re just losing a quality 9-11 hole F, but the most you’re losing with Mascherin is a lottery ticket. At least with Dickinson you definitely free up a couple million in cap.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
He’s a wild card, as most prospects are. He’s either gonna be a 20 goal scorer or a top line AHLer with no real in between. Personally I’d rather Seattle takes Dickinson over him, just because with Dicky you know you’re just losing a quality 9-11 hole F, but the most you’re losing with Mascherin is a lottery ticket. At least with Dickinson you definitely free up a couple million in cap.

Whos gonna break the news to Hutch...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well the Capspace to re-sign Dickinson also probably wasn't there even if not taken . Oleksiak ( or his replacement ) still need a deal and so does Kiviranta. Dickinson on top i don't think works with the capspace that is left . Capfriendly currently has the team with 3 goalie on the roster and that obviously won't be the case to start next year ( either Bishop is on LTIR or Oettinger in the AHL ) but still re-signing Dickinson on top of Heiskanens big extension + his defensive partner and Kivi i'm not sure that would've fit.

A early third rounder also is not a bad price for someone you couldn't keep anyway.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I feel like Benn shouldve done the same thing as bishop and waived the nmc. Highly doubt they would’ve taken him .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I feel like Benn shouldve done the same thing as bishop and waived the nmc. Highly doubt they would’ve taken him .

Still would've protected him over Dickinson even if he decided he would waive . Not to mention i don't think Dickinson could've been re-signed even if we kept him. The #4 defenseman and Kivis new contract will eat basically all the remaining capspace.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Still would've protected him over Dickinson even if he decided he would waive . Not to mention i don't think Dickinson could've been re-signed even if we kept him. The #4 defenseman and Kivis new contract will eat basically all the remaining capspace.
Even to protect mascherin though . If there’s no chance Seattle takes Benn than why not ? And if they do , there goes our worst contract .

Reactions: Sports2

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not that we expected anything else or anything else would've made any sense.

Outside the Bishop move the same list we had for months now.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think Lindell with additions for Jones would make sense for both sides . Cbj are losing Jones one way or another and teams aren’t gonna pay premium price if they can wait and sign him if anyways if he’s interested . If it’s a rental , no ones gonna pay premium price either . Here they would get a top 4 dman signed to a decent contract going back and we can bump heiskanen up to top pairing with klingberg , sign oleksiak to pair with Jones .

Reactions: JesusNPucks

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
My only issues is how much Jones wants to resign for and then what happens with Klingberg
It will be tight , and really depends on what happens with bishop / khudobin but they should be able to resign klingberg , Jones , Robertson and gurianov and oettenger next year if lindell is gone and oleksiak signed to 4.5 or lower .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad