2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Following is the Utica Comets training camp roster. I will update this list every time players are added:
NHL contracts:
16 Nate Schnarr (C)
38 Jeremy Groleau (LD)
2 Michael Vukojevic (LD)
39 Robbie Russo (RD)
46 Brian Flynn (C/RW)
15 Joseph Gambardella (LW/C)
92 Graeme Clarke (C/RW)
25 Nolan Foote (LW)
77 Aarne Talvitie (C)
20 Fabian Zetterlund (C/RW)
88 Kevin Bahl (LD)
22 Reilly Walsh (RD)
35 Nico Daws (G)
17 A.J. Greer (LW)
82 Nikita Okhotyuk (LD)
40 Chase De Leo (LW/C/RW)
90 Jesper Boqvist (C)
40 Akira Schmid (G)
9 Alex Holtz (RW)

on waivers:
Frederik Gauthier (C)

AHL contracts:
26 Ryan Schmelzer (C)
13 Patrick McGraith (RW)

44 Luke Stevens - (24 yr-old LW, 6'5"/207) 4yrs D-I NCAA Yale U., '20-21 12GP with AHL W-B/Scranton
Luke is the only player that still remains in camp without a contract to anyone. He is still on his tryout contract.

These 6 on Utica AHL contracts were reassigned to ECHL Adirondack. From the moment the signing od f these guys wer announced, I said they were not AHL material. NHL teams always have AHL contract players on their AHL affiliate, but these guys were not the type of players I am referring to.
14 Tyler Irvine (RW)
39 Samuel Laberge (RW)
37 Jordan Kaplan (F)
21 Patrick Grasso (C)
11 Joe Masonius
34 Mareks Mitens (G)

Invites:
all 4 of the following were already signed to the Adirondack Thunder and were sent back

25 Nick Rivera - (32 yr-old C, 5'10"/190) 4yrs D-I NCAA Minn. ST. U. (Mankato) Jr/Sr "C"
27 Colin Long - (32 yr-old C, 5'11"/190) 4yrs DEL, 1yr Allsvenskan, 3 yrs Italy, 1yr Austria
47 Nick Hutchison - (26 yr-old C, 6'3"/201) 4yrs D-I NCAA Canisius College, 1yr ECHL Indy Fuel
90 Greg DiTomaso - (25 yr-old RD, 6'1"/187) 4yrs Ryerson U. (Canada) '21-22 "C"

These 2 were released from their tryout contracts

33 Brandon Kasel - (25 yr-old G, 6'2"/174) 4yrs DIII NCAA Skidmore College
19 Alex Brink - (27 yr-old F, 6'0"/201) 5yrs D-I NCAA Brown U.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The New Jersey Devils have waived Joseph Gambardella. If he clears he becomes the 3rd of the 4 New Jersey signings designed as veteran type presence in Utica. A big plus is he is not considered a veteran by AHL rules.

He would also be available for the 2 weekend scrimmages.

See post #606

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Joseph Gambardella has cleared waivers making him the 3rd of the 4 "veteran" players NJ acquired for the Comets on 2-way contracts.

Added to the list in post #606.
For those who don't know it the 3 are listed in a row with Gambardella the last of the 3.

Chase De Leo is the final one yet to drop.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As of now, 12 noon, the Devils haven't announced any further cuts. Gambardella has cleared waivers and therefore might make it for Friday or at least Saturday's preseason scrimmage.

This most likely means that Ruff was correct and the next round of cuts will occur after tonight's game with the Isles which makes no sense because most of the guys getting the demotion to the AHL already know who they are. A handful more will come later before the date the Devils rosters must be finalized according to NHL rules, 23 players - 21 skaters and 2 goalies. Everyone else in camp either gets reassigned to Utica; waived to go to Utica if not claimed; signed, waived, and sent to Utica (the PTOs); or released.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As of now, 12 noon, the Devils haven't announced any further cuts. Gambardella has cleared waivers and therefore might make it for Friday or at least Saturday's preseason scrimmage.

This most likely means that Ruff was correct and the next round of cuts will occur after tonight's game with the Isles which makes no sense because most of the guys getting the demotion to the AHL already know who they are. A handful more will come later before the date the Devils rosters must be finalized according to NHL rules, 23 players - 21 skaters and 2 goalies. Everyone else in camp either gets reassigned to Utica; waived to go to Utica if not claimed; signed, waived, and sent to Utica (the PTOs); or released.

My guess is it’s a courtesy thing. Let the guys trying to make the bottom of the roster have every possible chance to impress. I’m guessing players would rather have an NHL chance even if a long shot over getting settled in at the AHL level. Same for the ECHL guys who I’m sure want to stick with Utica.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

AJ Greer was placed on waivers today. It looks like the waiver posting time and limit for making a claim is 2pm this season instead of 12 noon like it used to be.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Reactions: Guttersniped

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Devils made eight roster moves Thursday afternoon, reducing their training camp roster to 34 players.

Forwards Graeme Clarke, Nolan Foote, Aarne Talvitie and Fabian Zetterlund, defensemen Kevin Bahl and Reilly Walsh and goaltender Nico Daws were assigned to Utica of the American Hockey League.
Forward A.J. Greer was placed on waivers with the intent of assignment to Utica Friday if he clears.

Devils Cut Eight from Training Camp Roster | BLOG

Utica could have a decent team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad