GDT: 2021-22 season game 70 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @6:00pm 3/31/22

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Weird, thought Moore got a point tonight. Well, there goes that streak of not going more than 3 games without point since Thanksgiving.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's doing great. He just needs some seasoning and advice. The main thing I see is that he's gotten so confident with the puck, he's taking too much time in the D-zone to break out and getting into trouble a lot. He is like Martinez a great 4th round pickup, solid offensive upside and great 3rd pairing offensive defenseman.

Yeah his offense has been solid, but his exits are really poor. He's in over his head right now, the third pairing would be in his wheelhouse. He needs to slow his brain down a bit, he runs around a lot and gets lost. If he can do that and simplify he will learn how to make simple exit plays. He waits for the homerun pass too much and it rarely materializes.

I'm still not sure he's going to stick long term, his metrics simply aren't good. His possession numbers aren't good at all and he's got a terrible GF%, that's with having some of the weakest competition against. He's got one of the lower dangerous chance differentials among defensemen, for all his offensive skill he gets hemmed in the zone a lot. If you check out the team shift charts he always has a lot of shifts over a minute from getting pinned. That's one reason his ice time was so high tonight, for example.

I really want him to succeed because he's so damn likable and driven, and he'll stick up for his teammates at the drop of a hat. Spence has been just as dangerous though, without bleeding danger chances against. He's had great possession numbers since he's been up as well, but for him it's just a size/strength issue. If I could only put Spence in Durzi's body and give him his attitude, that would be one hell of a defenseman.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah his offense has been solid, but his exits are really poor. He's in over his head right now, the third pairing would be in his wheelhouse. He needs to slow his brain down a bit, he runs around a lot and gets lost. If he can do that and simplify he will learn how to make simple exit plays. He waits for the homerun pass too much and it rarely materializes.

I'm still not sure he's going to stick long term, his metrics simply aren't good. His possession numbers aren't good at all and he's got a terrible GF%, that's with having some of the weakest competition against. He's got one of the lower dangerous chance differentials among defensemen, for all his offensive skill he gets hemmed in the zone a lot. If you check out the team shift charts he always has a lot of shifts over a minute from getting pinned. That's one reason his ice time was so high tonight, for example.

I really want him to succeed because he's so damn likable and driven, and he'll stick up for his teammates at the drop of a hat. Spence has been just as dangerous though, without bleeding danger chances against. He's had great possession numbers since he's been up as well, but for him it's just a size/strength issue. If I could only put Spence in Durzi's body and give him his attitude, that would be one hell of a defenseman.
He's like Jack Johnson. Stick him on the 3rd pair. I'm fine with that.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Loving this.

Love it.

Big win for us tonight but I’m starting to worry about guys making it back in time for the playoffs.

According to FiveThirtyEight, Dallas has an 85% chance of making the playoffs, LA at 84%, Edmonton at 81%, and Vegas at 48%. Winnipeg and Vancouver round out the list at 6% and 4% respectively.

Whoever finishes second in the West has the easiest first round matchup IMO.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Love it.

Big win for us tonight but I’m starting to worry about guys making it back in time for the playoffs.

According to FiveThirtyEight, Dallas has an 85% chance of making the playoffs, LA at 84%, Edmonton at 81%, and Vegas at 48%. Winnipeg and Vancouver round out the list at 6% and 4% respectively.

Whoever finishes second in the West has the easiest first round matchup IMO.
I’d bet DD will play in the play-offs regardless of his injury status, but after that I’m not sure who else will be back. Roy would be a nice add as would Lizotte but DD is the guy that would really move the needle. That and a return to form by Kopitar.

However, I’m not too worried because we aren’t winning anything in all probability so the most important thing is getting the younger guys some decent play-off experience. What I don’t want to see is us get swept 4-0. If they can win a couple of play-off games at a minimum it will be a great season, if they get out of the 1st round it will have been an outstanding season. At this point with the injuries, especially coming all at once, I won’t be too disappointed whatever happens.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Like I said weeks ago, which some didnt like, LA will cruise to the playoffs.

Its a good thing we now start to worry about the seeding I guess.

Reactions: YP44

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
3 of 4pts so far on a 3 game trip. Traditionally already a successful one, and any pts picked up tomorrow are a bonus. Of course the more bonus pts you get, the easier your life is.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – "Damn Doughty isn’t playing. I wanted Chucky/Doughty shenanigans" Edition

DFF : Are we really going to do the Oilers a favorite and beat the Kings tonight?​

Flames Fanatic : Yes. A win for the Kings puts them 4 points back of us.​

Rubi : It doesn't really matter. The Kings aren't catching us. If the Kings win or lose tonight the Greasers will still likely end up playing the Kings in the 1st round which will result in another 1st rnd exit for our northern pig farming cousins.​

Rubi : More info about tonight's game... Kings have 4-4-2 record in their last 10 games. They are also missing 8 regulars from their lineup...​

Unlimited Chequing : I plan on finally filing my taxes during this game. I hope that won't be the most exciting part of my evening.​

Mobiandi : Injury plagued team on a b2b and starting their back-up? Easiest 3-2 OTL of the year​

crazyfisherman : Toffoli has been no better than monahan at 5v5​

Rubi : Just another bum taking up space on the bench. (Toffoli)​

Bounces R Way : Cal Petersen sucks, so I assume he goes all world against us tonight. Might be fun to see our pricey deadline acquisition Jarnkrok score a goal. That would be OK with me. If he were to do that.​

TheHudlinator : I'd give anything to have the job security that lucic has. Whatever just win​

Hockey Ninja : Damn Doughty isn’t playing. I wanted Chucky/Doughty shenanigans​

TheHudlinator : That shift won't show up on the scoreboard but Mangiapane just had a great shift beat Kopitar in the faceoff, won the board battle, drove to the net to try and create a chance, ended with a sneaky chance​

TheHudlinator : Actually comical how long we had 6 guys on the ice​

Unlimited Chequing : So far I'm having more fun organizing my receipts.....​

TheHudlinator : This is the LA kings versus a Darryl Sutter hockey team, it was never going to be end to end​

JoeyMickP : 20 minutes of sticks and men in skates on ice with a rubber puck occurred.​

DFF : One team is hungry​

flames23 : Lol. No 5 on 5 goals since 9th vs oil. We may never score again. Another injury laden team this time on a b2b and Petersen will channel his inner Hasek.​

Rubi : The Flames are going to lose this game due to lack of interest.​

JoeyMickP : Lewis made a decent body check. Good.​

flames23 : Petersen shutty. Good for him. Onto the next. Lol.​

Rubi : Flames need to get some bodies in front of Petersen. He's seeing everything.​

Unlimited Chequing : Johnny scored literally as I finished filing my taxes :biglaugh:

Rubi : Flames are handling the puck like its a live grenade.​

Bounces R Way : Tkachuk is drunk this game.​

crazyfisherman : Gudbranson lucic and monahan, most unlikely score line ever prob​

Bert Mckrakken : Stupid arvidsson​

Bounces R Way : Backlund has been trash this game. Ball had two broadcaster jinxes last time we played the Kings too.​

crazyfisherman : 3 pt game just to fk with the oilers​

Dertell : man i'm bored. this feels like the longest ot i've seen. end it before anyone else breaks anything​

Unlimited Chequing : I'll always remember Lias Andersson as the guy who threw his silver medal into the crowd at the world juniors.​

super6646 : Yikes yikes yikes! Get it together boys. We've been VERY pedestrian as of late. 2 games against extremely injured teams and we only get a point out of it.​

Hockey Ninja : Well, at least this loss hurts the Oilers​

Rubi : Flames didn't deserve to win.​

Unlimited Chequing FTW.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The facts show otherwise so yes they are. You are showing just emotion.

Month february; 8 GP / 12 points.
Month march; 15 GP / 19 points.

For every loss they win two games.
12 more points in their last 12 games will get them to 96, which should put them in the playoffs. 16 points in 12 games will get them to a shocking 100 points this season, which nobody would have predicted.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
was very shocked LA not only got a point out of last night but won.
Huge to come away with 3 of 4 even if opponents also got 3 of 4. f*** Vegas

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The rookie line played great. No scoring, but they consistently tilted the ice in our favour, against a playoff bound team in a playoff style game, and on the road. And everyone got 14ish minutes, which was good.
Agree...was very impressed with the overall team performance, was expecting CAL to just run over the Kings and it just never happened. Not sure why we keep doubting this team, they've been beating good teams all year long, just another example even with the injuries.

Hats off to TM for picking Lias Andersson as first shooter....he must have been reading these boards for ideas as there is no possible way he came up with this on his own.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
The rookie line played great. No scoring, but they consistently tilted the ice in our favour, against a playoff bound team in a playoff style game, and on the road. And everyone got 14ish minutes, which was good.
This lines been good from the day they were put together, and seemingly playing better. It feels like they're on the verge of scoring a bunch of goals.
I'm very encourage about their play. All three guys look like different players from earlier in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad