2020 Tokyo Olympics thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We should hit 20. I think there's an outside shot at 23 or even 24, but things really have to break right.

It's pretty good for a country our size PLUS the fact that we are not a typical summer sport country (like Australia for example) PLUS the fact that our historical lineage doesn't lend itself to being naturally gifted genetically in sport (like the Nordic countries for example).

This is about the strangest post you've ever made. We're a multicultural nation, we're not monoculture, we're no longer defined by culture, and surely on the podium we're not. I don't get your point. But it doesn't lead anywhere good does it?

As to the discussion of medals for Canada isn't that also explained by there being many more events? Also seems like the rowing events have multiplied and had children. jebus everytime I turn on its kayak, or some rowing event. Seems like so many of these medals now. But intros of things like Trampoline, skateboarding, bmx, Canada should be hot at these considering how much of the newer events primarily had their start in NA.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
This is about the strangest post you've ever made. We're a multicultural nation, we're not monoculture, we're no longer defined by culture, and surely on the podium we're not. I don't get your point. But it doesn't lead anywhere good does it?

As to the discussion of medals for Canada isn't that also explained by there being many more events? Also seems like the rowing events have multiplied and had children. jebus everytime I turn on its kayak, or some rowing event. Seems like so many of these medals now. But intros of things like Trampoline, skateboarding, bmx, Canada should be hot at these considering how much of the newer events primarily had their start in NA.

Hey, we got medal 19 in a traditional sport. The thing about the new fangled events is that few, if any, Canadians took part. But, I for one, welcome the offshoots to previous sports. Hate to think if all we had was the original modern Olympic events.

BTW, so should the Americans be sweeping the kiddy sport medals.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Hey, we got medal 19 in a traditional sport. The thing about the new fangled events is that few, if any, Canadians took part. But, I for one, welcome the offshoots to previous sports. Hate to think if all we had was the original modern Olympic events.

Some of the events just never seem to click with me. BMX, skateboarding would be the latest. Mind you theres a lot of Olympic events that I don't find riveting.

That said its great that Canada won the Decathlon, the quintessential Olympic discipline of all time (in the opinion of many) and that we could have won the 100, did win the 200 and have a chance at winning the 4X100 relay, all pretty big marquee events.

Anyway I was just pointing out that theres many more events across 5 new disciplines, so that theres more medals to win. Even within the established disciplines seems like theres been some morphed events. Now theres 339 different events, quite a lot.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Some of the events just never seem to click with me. BMX, skateboarding would be the latest. Mind you theres a lot of Olympic events that I don't find riveting.

That said its great that Canada won the Decathlon, the quintessential Olympic discipline of all time (in the opinion of many) and that we could have won the 100, did win the 200 and have a chance at winning the 4X100 relay, all pretty big marquee events.

Anyway I was just pointing out that theres many more events across 5 new disciplines, so that theres more medals to win. Even within the established disciplines seems like theres been some morphed events. Now theres 339 different events, quite a lot.

There are some unnecessary events and sports in the Olympics but they're big in other regions of the world. Field Hockey is still big in Europe and its former territories. Judo, Karate and Taekwondo in Asia. Handball - Europe. Wrestling probably central Asia. Basketball - US. I don't know how many others are regional rather than world wide.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think it’s fair to say that Canada’s ‘struggles’ at the Summer Olympics are primarily two-fold: competing against “summer juggernauts” (countries that have more temperate climates and increased interest in related sports) and the lower population.

I am not a huge Olympics fan (definitely watch more Winter as I’m a winter sports guy primarily) so I’m not sure if the funding is adequate, but that can be a determining factor as well. The smaller countries that have more success I would imagine have more specialized funding in the sports that have interest among most aspiring athletes in the respective country

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Roland Vargas is either injured or tired or just plain slow. At the start, the leaders had stroke rates in the high 50s to low 60s. Vargas' rate was 50.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
How is there an olympic event for Race Walking.

Imagine telling someone you won a medal in competitive walking.
The average marathon (42.2 km) time is around 4 hours and 20 minutes. The top three athletes in the race walk just a 50km race in 3 hours and 50 minutes (EDIT: 4:37 per km), in sweltering heat.

Having run a marathon myself and knowing what goes into preparing (much less finishing) one, the feat that these athletes accomplished seems just ridiculous.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

there’s a little glimmer of hope that eating donairs and snoring will become Olympic sports. For me, that glimmer means one day I may be great At something.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The average marathon (42.2 km) time is around 4 hours and 20 minutes. The top three athletes in the race walk just a 50km race in 3 hours and 50 minutes (EDIT: 4:37 per km), in sweltering heat.

Having run a marathon myself and knowing what goes into preparing (much less finishing) one, the feat that these athletes accomplished seems just ridiculous.

Not that I watch race walking but, are the routes on relatively flat ground while marathoners have hills and valleys?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Almost unbelievable that a 14 year old girl is by far the best diver in the World and she made it look easy. If the Olympics had been taken place last year she would not have been old enough to compete.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Almost unbelievable that a 14 year old girl is by far the best diver in the World and she made it look easy. If the Olympics had been taken place last year she would not have been old enough to compete.

Her teammate was incredible as well.

Easy gold for her had these Olympics gone last year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

lol, once again you've interpreted things with sinister intent where there is none. ;)

It's obvious that certain countries/regions have proud genetic lineages and traditions in certain disciplines. You combine that with advantageous climates for practicing those disciplines and you get the formation of longstanding powerhouses in those sports.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Man these Chinese divers are out of this world.

14 years old with straight 10s 3 dives in a row.

Yeah imagine not making a ripple while being the size of a small kid weighing 70lbs. I've never seen a more surreal and stupidly judged sport. So much basis given to how clean the entry looks. Which gives extreme favor to the smallest and tiniest of competitors. Larger athletes can make a near perfect dive but water comes up and so they get lower scores.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah imagine not making a ripple while being the size of a small kid weighing 70lbs. I've never seen a more surreal and stupidly judged sport. So much basis given to how clean the entry looks. Which gives extreme favor to the smallest and tiniest of competitors. Larger athletes can make a near perfect dive but water comes up and so they get lower scores.

This is why I don't watch diving at all. Extremely flawed sport that shouldn't be in the Olympics.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I was going to add that Canada is indeed a mix of a lot of different lineages. We tend to have elite athletes sprinkled amongst a lot of different disciplines, but not particularly dominant in any one specific sport (hockey and short track skating excluded of course). The US is similar, but has a larger population and more funding (like you said).

The age old debate of whether we could be more dominant in other sports if some of our elite hockey athletes were "diverted" to other disciplines... I tend to say yes, we could be, and it's starting to show as we are producing more talented basketball, baseball and soccer players now that hockey has become slightly less popular due to concussion concerns and increasing cost to play the game.

Not understanding this followup post either. Canada should be dominant in Basketball, or at least closer to the US in proficiency and we invented the damn sport, we play in NA and have ample opportunity to play the best. (USA) and have every advantage in this regard. yet the Aussie program and that of many other countries appears to be blowing us away. Highly touted mens team didn't even quality for the Olympics. I mean have you seen some of the poor teams in the tournament?

Further joke is that the Women were quickly eliminated from the basketball tourney despite every advantage, constant support, training priority etc. Canada dialed in big for the womens and mens programs, both which get a fair bit of funding, support etc. To no avail. Both of these programs have been absolutely disappointing.

Further, Canada with more facilities should be great at many disciplines whether it be Equestrian, swimming, rowing, walking, running, track and field. We have an abundance of facilities, nationwide, and we have so many perfectly suited rivers, waterways, pools etc for training in any aquatic sport. Swimming particularly by no means requires outdoor opportunity. There is no reason at all that we are not at least on par with an Australian swimming program. Around the time of Graham Smith etc it seemed as if we were.

Sounds like you're making odd excuses why Canada hasn't excelled at more Olympic events. Really decades of own the podium have gone nowhere. Outside of a few superstars like Warner, Oleksiak, De Grasse, our athletes really aren't producing. So many medal calibre athletes that just chronically don't get it done at this stage. How many other countries afford the complete advantage and stability of programming, funding, support, that Canada offers and has so many world class facilities? Its a joke that Australia is a power in Oly tournaments and Canada is a chronic also ran. That said, again, kudos to those rare athletes that do win profile events for Canada.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
lol, once again you've interpreted things with sinister intent where there is none. ;)

It's obvious that certain countries/regions have proud genetic lineages and traditions in certain disciplines. You combine that with advantageous climates for practicing those disciplines and you get the formation of longstanding powerhouses in those sports.

Please. Your post was poorly worded and I wasn't the only one that thought so. Canada has ideal climates for many sports. I think you're stretching for something here but I still don't know what it is. The "genetic lineage" argument, or wording that you continue to use is silly within the context of Canadas diverse population, and which others have noted somewhat parallels the USA.

Why didn't you just say climate in the first place. You specifically said genetics, and made an apparent genetic argument. Hard to know what you are meaning in any of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad