Roster Moves: 2020 Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You'e forgetting someone.
If NP is back, I suspect Frost will be a winger to start.

I hope he gets a shot with NP out, but not dressing him for the round robin games doesn't lead me to believe they wouldn't consider a FA option.

What I think about Frost doesn't matter if he never gets into the lineup.

Reactions: flyersNducks

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Insider Trading: Speculation swirling around Letang; Caps closing in on next coach

Some pretty big things to consider from Bill Daly (as reported by Pierre Lebrun)

1. Jan 1 start date looking more likely than Dec 1.

2. Daly said NHL still plans to fit an 82 game schedule.

3. NHL not interested in bubbles for regular season - so they will have to find another solution.

4. Dreger says that he's hearing several teams will have internal caps imposed on them (hovering in the low $70M range) due to economic downturn and no way to recoup that revenue.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If NP is back, I suspect Frost will be a winger to start.

I hope he gets a shot with NP out, but not dressing him for the round robin games doesn't lead me to believe they wouldn't consider a FA option.

What I think about Frost doesn't matter if he never gets into the lineup.

Point is, even if Patrick can't play, we don't need to look for a center in FA. We have all the Cs we need.

Of course I fully expect Fletcher to screw up, but he has no excuse to.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
So what overprice center is out there that a team is going to want to dump. Someone that Ghost or JVR plus could get in trade. I have a feeling that’s where this is going.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
In response to your comment about Fletch not sounding like Patrick is ready to go.. .

What did he say exactly?

What @GKJ posted, as well as his comments about not getting enough out of the bottom 6 and something they'll have to look at. You don't say that kind of thing if you have confidence that NP is coming back. This is all without considering Frost, as well.

Reactions: flyersnorth

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@GKJ

Haula paced for 60 points in 17-18 and 41 points in 19-20... while being strong defensively.

He has suffered from injury ofc in the last two years. But he aint going to be 4C for anyone.

His injuries will cut down his value. I don’t think he gets more than a 2-year deal and in that scenario he may prefer hooking up with a GM that knows him.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What @GKJ posted, as well as his comments about not getting enough out of the bottom 6 and something they'll have to look at. You don't say that kind of thing if you have confidence that NP is coming back. This is all without considering Frost, as well.

Meh... I don't know. I think you might be reading a bit too much into that quote.

It might just be that he doesn't think one player addition would be enough to fix the entire bottom six.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Point is, even if Patrick can't play, we don't need to look for a center in FA. We have all the Cs we need.

Of course I fully expect Fletcher to screw up, but he has no excuse to.
I have said that many times, but how they have used Frost shows there's no confidence to confirm he will be a full time roster player from day 1.

Until he's on the team full time, I acknowledge they will be exploring other options, even if I disagree with it.

Reactions: orangey

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have said that many times, but how they have used Frost shows there's no confidence to confirm he will be a full time roster player from day 1.

Until he's on the team full time, I acknowledge they will be exploring other options, even if I disagree with it.
Right. I'm not disagreeing that they're going to make this mistake. I'm just saying the options exist and they have no excuse.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.

Hopefully Fletch is planning accordingly. Maybe Frost is the answer at 3C, maybe he isn't.

Man, that #2 pick sure went sideways on us. Really sucks. Could've been Eichel. Or even Svechnikov.

So if Patrick has been experiencing this since a child (which I believe is the case, and there is a family history with it), was this not disclosed? In hindsight, if they had this information, plus the hernia surgeries, and still selected him, kinda makes you wonder if they botched the pick (from a what-they-knew-at-the-time perspective).

Heiskanen. Pettersson. Makar.

Ugh.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think too many people think Frost is an A prospect when in reality, and in team evaluations, he is a B to B+ prospect.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Meh... I don't know. I think you might be reading a bit too much into that quote.

It might just be that he doesn't think one player addition would be enough to fix the entire bottom six.
With Oskar back full time, the roster already kind of shakes out. Unless there's no confidence in NP's imminent return (as it appears there is not), or that Frost will be a full time Flyer, there's up to three internal additions the club, all with top 6 talent but 2 of which will likely be in the bottom six to start (or who would force another top 6 talent down the lineup).

If Fletcher's looking elsewhere for bottom six help, it has to be, in part, because NP is still an unknown for day 1. He all but confirms it by saying they won't even have a idea until he is cleared for contact.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His injuries will cut down his value. I don’t think he gets more than a 2-year deal and in that scenario he may prefer hooking up with a GM that knows him.

But he showed this season that when healthy he is still a good middle sixer.

Just cannot imagine he signs up to play 4C anywhere before salary even comes into it.

Reactions: Striiker

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, that doesn't sound good.

Hopefully Fletch is planning accordingly. Maybe Frost is the answer at 3C, maybe he isn't.

Man, that #2 pick sure went sideways on us. Really sucks. Could've been Eichel. Or even Svechnikov.

So if Patrick has been experiencing this since a child (which I believe is the case, and there is a family history with it), was this not disclosed? In hindsight, if they had this information, plus the hernia surgeries, and still selected him, kinda makes you wonder if they botched the pick (from a what-they-knew-at-the-time perspective).

Heiskanen. Pettersson. Makar.

Ugh.

I think he is just saying nothing until there is a contract. He was practicing with the team before the pause. He wasn’t sitting at home in dark rooms.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
With Oskar back full time, the roster already kind of shakes out. Unless there's no confidence in NP's imminent return (as it appears there is not), or that Frost will be a full time Flyer, there's up to three internal additions the club, all with top 6 talent but 2 if which will likely be in the bottom six to start (or who would force another top 6 talent down the lineup).

If Fletcher's looking elsewhere for bottom six help, it has to be, in part, because NP is still an unknown for day 1. He al but confirms it by saying they won't even have a idea until he is cleared for contact.
I understand what you're saying. Although, even in a hypothetical where he's 90% confident that Patrick can return, it's still not a guarantee until they can test him. And since it's not a guarantee, he's planning on looking elsewhere to cover his bases just in case that 10% chance comes true.

Then again, that's assuming Fletcher is competent and logical, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad