Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part IV (Devils have pick #7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm still pissed off at this joke of a league and their bullshit lottery rules this year

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'm still pissed off at this joke of a league and their bullshit lottery rules this year

That makes two of us. Not so much about the Devils picking 7th, it’s that a team like the rangers, canes or coyotes can pick 1. My money is on the Coyotes. They have Hall, who’s a magnet for teams to get the top pick. So we probably lose their pick this year. The NHL should be ashamed of this gimmick. The Sens and Detroit got screw big time. We got screwed a little less in my opinion. I hope the Islanders win the lottery, just too screw with rag fans.

Reactions: glenwo2

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I didn't have a problem with the lotto tbh. Thought it was a bad situation with no ideal answer
It was a completely arbitrary designation to have the play-in round not qualify as the playoffs. If you're going to expand the pool of teams with a chance at the cup, just call it an expanded playoff and move on.

The only lottery teams should have been the teams whose seasons actually ended at the break.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think it's a different story from devils fans of our position and Montreal's were reversed

Of course it is. The mistake the NHL made here is not weighting the series. The Rangers should have to win 4 out of 5 games to advance. The Blackhawks should have to win 5 of 5. That's the not-fair part to me. That said, I think it's still unlikely any of those games get played given what's going on, so this is just conducting the lottery like a normal one, which is what they should've done. There's no reason to give the Devils (and all teams that missed the play-in round) an increased chance at getting a top 3 pick.

Reactions: nugg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That's a brutal beat for a team like Montreal that has no business in even a play in game and just happened to be there because of a number requirement

Don't care. It's brutal for Detroit too. They should have just finished the regular season or else it is what it is. The trade off for getting in the playoffs is that you aren't in the draft lottery.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Easy answer. The 7 teams with no chance at the playoffs get entered in the lottery. Everyone else is seeded based on play in and playoff results with whatever tiebreakers.

Yeah Idk why this was so hard to do. I'm sure the teams in the play in bitched and voted no though.

What would've been most fair is if they did it the way they did, but then said that if a play-in team wins they can only move up four spots. That way they still get a chance to play for a cup and also get a chance at winning some sort of lottery pick if they lose the qualifying round. I think that's fair, personally. In that scenario the highest a qualifying team winning the lottery could pick is 5, which I think is more than fair.

Meanwhile the teams not playing don't play an actual game for almost an entire year, which is extremely damaging, especially to younger teams that tend to struggle. Not only do the 7 teams not playing get f***ed in the lottery, we get f***ed next year when we haven't played a game in a year and get shit on for the first quarter of the season.

Reactions: nugg

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Of course it is. The mistake the NHL made here is not weighting the series. The Rangers should have to win 4 out of 5 games to advance. The Blackhawks should have to win 5 of 5. That's the not-fair part to me. That said, I think it's still unlikely any of those games get played given what's going on, so this is just conducting the lottery like a normal one, which is what they should've done. There's no reason to give the Devils (and all teams that missed the play-in round) an increased chance at getting a top 3 pick.

I do agree that not weighting on the back end was a mistake. Guessing that since the math still worked out compared to a normal lotto they thought that was the way to go, but that was a bad call.

That being said, didn't affect the devils, so I didn't care too much about it. Agree that they misfired there though

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Don't care. It's brutal for Detroit too. They should have just finished the regular season or else it is what it is. The trade off for getting in the playoffs is that you aren't in the draft lottery.

But Detroit results aren't changed compared to a normal lotto. What happened to them is actually the normal lotto procedure. That's a bigger issue with the lotto system as a whole, it's not a byproduct of this situation

Reactions: Triumph

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
That's a brutal beat for a team like Montreal that has no business in even a play in game and just happened to be there because of a number requirement

That number requirement could have easily been 10 from each conference with 2 play-in rounds in each. BUT, when the revenue geeks noticed Montreal and Chicago were at 12th in their respective conference, it was a no-brainer to make it top 12 from each conference.

This entire restart has been a money grab plain and simple.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
That number requirement could have easily been 10 from each conference with 2 play-in rounds in each. BUT, when the revenue geeks noticed Montreal and Chicago were at 12th in their respective conference, it was a no-brainer to make it top 12 from each conference.

Still the same process though. You still have those play in losers available in the lotto. Fewer of them, which is probably better, but still a minor variance and a team like Toronto can still win it (I haven't actually checked the seedings, but you get the point). Nobody is saying the structure is perfect, but the point is that nothing they were going to decide on would be

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But Detroit results aren't changed compared to a normal lotto. What happened to them is actually the normal lotto procedure. That's a bigger issue with the lotto system as a whole, it's not a byproduct of this situation

I don't disagree. Point is, nothing's perfect. Someone will always be unhappy. Should have just went with the simple, fair option instead of some crazy, overcomplicated nonsense.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't see how the revenue will be significantly different with Chicago and Montreal in than without. There's not going to be any fans at the games. The NHL TV contract is for a fixed amount - now, it is up soon, at least in the US, but the ratings are only incrementally better with Chicago in than some other team - that's worth something, certainly, but not a whole lot in the scope of these things.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
So as long as Pitt and NYR don't pick first overall I won't be too upset. From what I have read so far, we should get a solid player with pick 7! I haven't been following prospects too much since the RONA outbreak so I'm slowly reading up on the prospects available.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Assuming that Laf, Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale are the top 4 then we're guaranteed one of Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, or Perfetti. So that's fine with me, all four would be incredible additions.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I don't see how the revenue will be significantly different with Chicago and Montreal in than without. There's not going to be any fans at the games. The NHL TV contract is for a fixed amount - now, it is up soon, at least in the US, but the ratings are only incrementally better with Chicago in than some other team - that's worth something, certainly, but not a whole lot in the scope of these things.

Fair enough, but I still believe if it were say, New Jersey and Anaheim instead of Montreal and Chicago, there wouldn't be 16 teams in the play-in round.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
That makes two of us. Not so much about the Devils picking 7th, it’s that a team like the rangers, canes or coyotes can pick 1. My money is on the Coyotes. They have Hall, who’s a magnet for teams to get the top pick. So we probably lose their pick this year. The NHL should be ashamed of this gimmick. The Sens and Detroit got screw big time. We got screwed a little less in my opinion. I hope the Islanders win the lottery, just too screw with rag fans.
Mtl wins and local boy crushes it there.
Isn't the draft there this yr?
Detroit got screwed, Sens not as much, they walk away with Stutz and Drysdale if they want, Byfield is a consolation (imagine saying that for your team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad