NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I really like Guhle. If we can pick Lapierre, Peterka and Guhle with ours second would be a hell of a draft

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I liked Rossi and Zary in the prospects game; Perfetti had some nice shifts. I watched mainly the 1st 2 periods.
Laf's goal was offside by one of the players being pushed offside.. made a great shot.
The commentators mentioned that Jake Neighbours made a real veteran move that ended up pushing the guy offside which lead to Lafreniere's goal being called back. I really liked the way Neighbours played and he looks like he will be a really solid pro.

Rossi and Zary were good and made a lot of smart plays. I was impressed with Perfetti's compete level and he shielded the puck well. There were a number of players that had solid games and I may have to rewatch the game and consider adding some more comments on it.

One player that stood out to me in a bad way was Antonio Stranges. He had some questionable decision making and made a bad turnover in the 3rd period that lead to a goal against. I can see why he has fallen in the rankings for a lot of scouting services.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Not a lot of RWers over 6' in the first 3 rds of the 2020 draft … what's up with that? Maybe a few will grow by the draft a couple of inches. Tyson Forester plays centre but shoots right, I guess that's another way to get a bigger RWer is to draft a big right shot centre & he is ranked in the 2nd rd.
Do they have to be right shot or can it simply be a player who plays RW or could get moved to RW as a pro? I could try to put a list together of wingers or players that could get moved to wing that are over 6'.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Not a lot of RWers over 6' in the first 3 rds of the 2020 draft … what's up with that? Maybe a few will grow by the draft a couple of inches. Tyson Forester plays centre but shoots right, I guess that's another way to get a bigger RWer is to draft a big right shot centre & he is ranked in the 2nd rd.

Alexander Holtz 6-0
Noel Gunler 6-2
Dawson Mercer 6-0
Brendan Brisson 5-11
Jack Quinn 5-11
Maxim Groshev 6-2
Ryder Rolston 6-1
Oliver Suni 6-2
Sam Colangelo 6-2
Brandon Coe 6-3
Simon Knak 6-1
Luke Evangelista 5-11
Blake Biondi 6-0

I see 7 players in that list over 6-0, all of which were just rated top 100 by draft pro. If you give the rest on this list until june I'm sure most if not all will be over 6. That's 13 players in the top 100 that are listed as RW that could be over 6-0... how many do you realistically need?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
You know we’re picking 3 players no one here has ever heard of in the second
Would be close Guhle I see listed 36 and 20 Lapierre with his concussion history maybe fall in second and Peterka , me I have in my top ten but lots of guys laugh at me saying is a second round guys

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Another disappointing game for Byfield. I don’t want to touch him with a pole of ten foot long

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Questions I have after last night:

Why does Byfield have a hard time showing at events like this U20, U18 Gretzky/Hlinka.

Are Poitier and Schneider better than Barron.

Can Zary join the group in Tier 3 behind Laf, Byfield, Raymond and Stutzle

Questions answered after last night:

I have no concerns about Rossi and Perfetti in terms of skating.

This draft is as good as advertised

I am now committed to Mercer being 10-15.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sample size people.

33GP in the OHL where he has 63P says a lot more about Byfield than 7 games played at the WJC where he played limited minutes and out of position, and a top prospects game.

Of course his time in the OHL says more about him as a player, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the guy doesn't show out against top competition the way his peers (i.e the top end of this draft) do. You don't see guys like Lafreniere, Stutzle or Rossi looking as different on the big stage as QB does. That's not taking (too much) away from Byfield, since he's still (imo) far and away the 2nd best player in this draft, but it's a fair criticism until he proves himself on the biggest stage.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Questions I have after last night:

Why does Byfield have a hard time showing at events like this U20, U18 Gretzky/Hlinka.

I thought he was one of the better players for Canada at the Gretzky/Hlinka tourney? WJC's he never really got a chance, probably due to his age and putting him on the wing during his limited ice time.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Of course his time in the OHL says more about him as a player, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the guy doesn't show out against top competition the way his peers (i.e the top end of this draft) do. You don't see guys like Lafreniere, Stutzle or Rossi looking as different on the big stage as QB does. That's not taking (too much) away from Byfield, since he's still (imo) far and away the 2nd best player in this draft, but it's a fair criticism until he proves himself on the biggest stage.

Lafreniere was complete invisible at the same age as Byfield at the WJC. Had 1 goal in 5 games and was entirely forgettable against top competition.

I've definitely been underwhelmed by him at the WJC and the game last night, but let's not read too much into very small sample sizes.

Oh and if we're also talking about the Hlinka, I thought he was great there, despite a mediocre stat-line. Was very snake bitten but created a ton of chances.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I
Lafreniere was complete invisible at the same age as Byfield at the WJC. Had 1 goal in 5 games and was entirely forgettable against top competition.

I've definitely been underwhelmed by him at the WJC and the game last night, but let's not read too much into very small sample sizes.

Oh and if we're also talking about the Hlinka, I thought he was great there, despite a mediocre stat-line. Was very snake bitten but created a ton of chances.
I hope teams drop Byfield in their rankings and the Sens can snag him. Right now I'm not betting on a top 3 pick so hopefully that can happen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Alexander Holtz 6-0
Noel Gunler 6-2
Dawson Mercer 6-0
Brendan Brisson 5-11
Jack Quinn 5-11
Maxim Groshev 6-2
Ryder Rolston 6-1
Oliver Suni 6-2
Sam Colangelo 6-2
Brandon Coe 6-3
Simon Knak 6-1
Luke Evangelista 5-11
Blake Biondi 6-0

I see 7 players in that list over 6-0, all of which were just rated top 100 by draft pro. If you give the rest on this list until june I'm sure most if not all will be over 6. That's 13 players in the top 100 that are listed as RW that could be over 6-0... how many do you realistically need?
TWO - Gunler & Mercer

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Do they have to be right shot or can it simply be a player who plays RW or could get moved to RW as a pro? I could try to put a list together of wingers or players that could get moved to wing that are over 6'.

It's a good question, Duclair is a left shot who is playing RW & has 21 goals in that slot but I thought more coaches were going for natural shooters on their proper wing but if a guy can do as well or better on the other wing I doubt they would move him. At 17 & 18 yrs old some kids continue to grow so a lot of things could change for a lot of prospects between now & when they finally get to the show. I was just wondering since it seemed like their were so many on RW who were on the small side in this yr's draft. I like Dawson Mercer a lot.

RW is a position I think the Sens are a little weak on depending on what happens in future with Duclair & C. Brown & whether these two are in their long term plans. IMO Batherson & Pinto are likely in their future plans & I'm not sure about anyone else in their org at RW making it. At the least they need more depth there. I did like your list of NCAA free agents & wonder if they have there eyes on signing anyone this yr out of college? It's a nice way to sign a decent player for free.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sample size people.

33GP in the OHL where he has 63P says a lot more about Byfield than 7 games played at the WJC where he played limited minutes and out of position, and a top prospects game.
Button mentions it has been every age level best on best with Byfield not just WJC and prospects game. It’s a question mark that requires further examination

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Wow ... this guy has Cuylle at #63 & Button has him at #21 down a few spots from where he was earlier in the yr & almost a full round apart. Interesting how some guys are so far apart with these rankings probably tells us the kind of players they prefer with their own biases.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I see Byfield falling in the draft - similar to a Couturier or Zadina - although I do think he'll become a very good NHL player (although it may take a couple years of development).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad