2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Stutzle has every chance to continue to rise. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 5 pick by the time all is said and done.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I must be the only one not infatuated with him. Maybe that changes. But right, I could not pass on Lundell or Holloway for him.
I'm not saying I'm in love with the prospect, but early on, there are some players that I thought would go ahead of him that are underwhelming early on.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not saying I'm in love with the prospect, but early on, there are some players that I thought would go ahead of him that are underwhelming early on.
Don't get me wrong, I was not pointing at you specifically. But he has his share of fans 'round these parts. And for one reason or another, I cannot move him up on my charts. But what do I know? I was also not a huge Boldy fan at first, but that ended quickly.

Also, not forgetting about Mysak. To me, he is quite the dark horse of the draft.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Idk how no one is talking about Dawson Mercer. Kid is at a 1.63 PPG in the Q. If we all are talking about players like Lapierre or Bourque, Mercer should definitely be in the discussion!!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Idk how no one is talking about Dawson Mercer. Kid is at a 1.63 PPG in the Q. If we all are talking about players like Lapierre or Bourque, Mercer should definitely be in the discussion!!
Unless we are talking about the possibly first overall pick, I do not think that the Rangers go into the Q. They have just not been dipping into it early on in the draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If the Rangers have been consistent about one thing, across multiple regimes, it's that they're not crazy about going into the Q with high picks.

We haven't used a first or second round pick on a kid from Q since 2007, and only done so five times in the last 30 years. In that time, only once was it with our top pick - Christian Dube, 39th overall in 1995.

Daniel Lacroix at 31st overall in 1987 is the highest we've made a selection from the league since the last time we used a first on a kid from Q, back in 1977.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
What is the podcast to look for? Would love to give it a listen. Pods have become a big part of the routine for me.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Unless we are talking about the possibly first overall pick, I do not think that the Rangers go into the Q. They have just not been dipping into it early on in the draft.

I meant as in talking about players from the Q. I have seen or heard no one in the thread even mentioning him and he deserves to be recognized at least. I get the Rangers haven't dipped in the Q often, but there seems to be some good options early.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'd like to see another raw high upside goalie that's headed to the NCAA taken in the draft towards the end. They have tremendous depth in Georgiev/Shesh/Huska/Wall but after this season the only goalie prospect they have that isn't a North American pro would be Lindbolm.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I meant as in talking about players from the Q. I have seen or heard no one in the thread even mentioning him and he deserves to be recognized at least. I get the Rangers haven't dipped in the Q often, but there seems to be some good options early.
Got it. I think that the conversation may change if they get 1OA. But short of that.......

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
My 'best-case' scenario was to be a +.500 team/fringe playoff team, around 12-15... and hit the lottery again... Still on course

Also on Byfield... I honestly haven't watched him play much but what I've read is that he's 'over rated'. Using his massive size against kids. Why is everyone so hyped around him?

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
My 'best-case' scenario was to be a +.500 team/fringe playoff team, around 12-15... and hit the lottery again... Still on course

Also on Byfield... I honestly haven't watched him play much but what I've read is that he's 'over rated'. Using his massive size against kids. Why is everyone so hyped around him?

He's not the only prospect that is a physical freak compared to his peers. The difference is that he's got the skill on top of all that which makes him such a great prospect. Byfield is a center which we desperately need unless Chytil manages to stick. He's putting up fantastic numbers and he's also one of the youngest players in the class. Lafrenière is pretty clearly the top prospect in the class but Byfield has a good grasp on number 2, especially with Raymond getting buried so far this year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'd like to see another raw high upside goalie that's headed to the NCAA taken in the draft towards the end. They have tremendous depth in Georgiev/Shesh/Huska/Wall but after this season the only goalie prospect they have that isn't a North American pro would be Lindbolm.

Mentioned this a page back, but not necessarily the best goalie class so far. I wouldn't be opposed to grab one this draft or next.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

It's not just the size but the athleticism. He's built like a linebacker but can cut and weave through traffic like he's half that size. Combine that athleticism with high end hockey IQ and a full arsenal of offensive tools and the projection is just through the roof.

Is he bigger than most of his opponents? Sure but if you watch the tape on him it's his awareness that jumps out. He's not barreling over kids the way a Grachev did in the OHL. He's anticipating the play at a level that's simply head and shoulders above just about everyone else.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's not just the size but the athleticism. He's built like a linebacker but can cut and weave through traffic like he's half that size. Combine that athleticism with high end hockey IQ and a full arsenal of offensive tools and the projection is just through the roof.

Is he bigger than most of his opponents? Sure but if you watch the tape on him it's his awareness that jumps out. He's not barreling over kids the way a Grachev did in the OHL. He's anticipating the play at a level that's simply head and shoulders above just about everyone else.
Am thinking of a just as physical, not as nasty but more skilled Brady Tkachuk.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I also lowkey want NYR to sign KeAndre Miller's teammate Dhooge just for the enjoyment of watching a 5'3" player in the NHL.

Reactions: Joey Bones

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I also lowkey want NYR to sign KeAndre Miller's teammate Dhooge just for the enjoyment of watching a 5'3" player in the NHL.

if he can score why not give him a chance. i would take that risk. Roman Ahcan is another player that can be signed as UDFA

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So Justin Barron isn't having a good start to the season. Some expected him to be in the top 10 range (I had him in the mid teens range). Barely seems like a 2nd round option, ATM....

Any thoughts?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
My thoughts: My dreams of getting him are alive and well
In reality they’re probably even more dead, I can’t recall the Rangers taking a faller in the 2nd in a long time. I guess Robertson could classify as a ‘faller’, but he was more of a circumstantial faller rather than an underwhelming draft season faller

Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad