GDT: 2020-21 season game 36 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:00m 4/3/21

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
What's funny is Jones had a similar foul up that took him completely out of the net for an extended period and the Kings couldn't even put a shot on. That's a pretty poignant comparison there. No one's talking about Jones f***ing up because he didn't lose.
When did that happen? When Kopitar took the puck around the back of the net while the rest of the team was in a line change?

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I mean geez he's played 46 career NHL games with a .48ppg... maybe give the guy a full season before talking about the steps forward he hasn't taken yet?

At one point, there was doubt that he would get past his injury problem and the thought was that the pick was a complete bust. The guy fought his way all the way back and is essentially in his rookie season and still developing but unless he turns into a 1ppg guy right out of the gate, he hasn't progressed at all.

He will find his role on the team and has shown some of his unique talent at times. Like every other young player, it's sporadic and the season long grind has probably had an effect on him at his stage of his career.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I said at the start of the season that my guess was Vilardi would get around 20 points this year. That was based on looking at the roster and not seeing any premium talent to play with him. People were expecting the kid to put up 15+ goals but I had no faith in the coaches being able to position him for growth.

The idea that Frk would be a key piece to Vilardi breaking out was also suspect. To put this all on Gabe is short sighted and doesn’t bode well for other major prospects trying to break in. Imagine if Kopitar had gone through a couple of poor games early in his rookie season and then been demoted in favor of Derek Armstrong and Craig Conroy.

In Kopitar’s rookie year, he was 19 and playing on a roster with 6 other guys 22 years old or younger, including Brown and POS. Plus Frolov and Cammalleri were 24.

Last edited:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
000.jpg

Is this scorebar now staying forever during Kings home broadcasts?

This is literally the worst thing I've seen in the history of color tv

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
000.jpg

I wanted to comment on this too...I don't mind the look, but positioning it on the bottom of a screen for hockey makes zero sense to me.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I wanted to comment on this too...I don't mind the look, but positioning it on the bottom of a screen for hockey makes zero sense to me.
This, and also the "heart of the fan" bar doesn't need to be there for 60'

And in general it's waaay too big

Where can we complain? Is still Fox Sports the broadcaster?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
No, I took the fact that when you score barely 2 goals, your pp is now 0-31 , and you make a mistake. your gonna lose a lot. There's is no room for error in a lot of games. . There were two big errors, a coverage and a bad handoff behind the net. That's tonights game dood.
I think I’ll just keep passively remarking that Quick should be the clear backup going forward, while not contesting any of the correct points you made, just as I wasn’t when you randomly quoted me earlier.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Vilardi hasn't taken a single step forward this year.

If the Kings were going to be decent this season, they were going to need some secondary scoring. The hope was Vilardi could develop into that role, but it hasn't happened yet.

Quick actually played pretty good tonight, and has played better than his stats. He botched one play that costed us the game, but again, the Kings only scored 2 goals.
He’s playing games and is on the ice every night. For him that is huge!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
People take my comment on Vilardi the wrong way. It's just a statement of where he's at. It's not a criticism.

The development of players isn't always linear.

The thing is, with a young player, you always hope for something special to happen. You always hope for one of those rare rookies that comes in right away and scores at 50-60 point pace. It can make an otherwise dull season be exciting.

But there's a difference between hoping and expecting. You don't expect, just hope for it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I think the rookies should be off limits for the blame game and heavy criticism. Its ok to discuss but lets go easy on them until they get the confidence to shoulder the burden professionally.

Reactions: The Butcher

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
People take my comment on Vilardi the wrong way. It's just a statement of where he's at. It's not a criticism.

The development of players isn't always linear.

The thing is, with a young player, you always hope for something special to happen. You always hope for one of those rare rookies that comes in right away and scores at 50-60 point pace. It can make an otherwise dull season be exciting.

But there's a difference between hoping and expecting. You don't expect, just hope for it.

I agree,

Vilardi is young and criticism of him is not saying he's a bust, but he has been pretty awful for about the last month or so, if we can hype him up when he looked like a future star in February we can be critical of how he has played recently.

I do worry that the skating is going to present a big challenge to him being a really good 2nd liner in the NHL though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Vilardi hasn't played a full season of hockey since 2016 I believe, so yes conditioning is an issue. A center with poor skating and conditioning is not a good mix. Both of these will get better and hopefully we will see a big jump in his game next year. He has shown flashes of how dominate he can be, so let's continue to be patient with him.

To me what I see this year is that he is not clicking with any of his linemates. The best chemistry I saw was with Frk last year. I think with some chemistry and confidence it will result in better play.

Just need to be thankful that his back issues are over and we can talk about his hockey skills and not discuss if he'll ever play again.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Outside of his rookie OHL year of 62 games, Vilardi has never played a season of more than 49 games. I'd apply the rookie wall/sophomore slump to him and then some. It's apparent he has NHL talent, top-flight skill and hands--his skating, conditioning are gonna take a bit longer to catch up. But now he knows what it takes. Rest of this year might be ugly, unfortunately, but I have no doubt he's gonna be putting in some work this summer.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
000.jpg

Easily the saddest thing I've seen on the screen since little Peewee got run over in "Boys Town".

Reactions: Pandaman11

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Vilardi hasn't played a full season of hockey since 2016 I believe, so yes conditioning is an issue. A center with poor skating and conditioning is not a good mix. Both of these will get better and hopefully we will see a big jump in his game next year. He has shown flashes of how dominate he can be, so let's continue to be patient with him.

To me what I see this year is that he is not clicking with any of his linemates. The best chemistry I saw was with Frk last year. I think with some chemistry and confidence it will result in better play.

Just need to be thankful that his back issues are over and we can talk about his hockey skills and not discuss if he'll ever play again.
Seriously I’m just thrilled his back hasn’t turned into a folding lawn chair. And poor Frk. Totally forgot about him. Damn shame he didn’t get to build on last year.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I’ll critique Vilardi. He’s having a rough go of it. At least once a game he is skating into a group of three defenders and having the puck taken away. It’s not Juniors anymore. He is also losing a ton of board battles, especially for a man his size. His lack of speed is evident.
He is obviously fatigued thus far into the season. No way to play past it. Conditioning is a problem and it’s impacting the rest of his game. I’m not sure why McLellan keeps sending him out against the top lines.
All that, and I’m still excited about him going forward. He’s gonna be good. He is a rookie. He needs a mental and physical break.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’ll critique Vilardi. He’s having a rough go of it. At least once a game he is skating into a group of three defenders and having the puck taken away. It’s not Juniors anymore. He is also losing a ton of board battles, especially for a man his size. His lack of speed is evident.
He is obviously fatigued thus far into the season. No way to play past it. Conditioning is a problem and it’s impacting the rest of his game. I’m not sure why McLellan keeps sending him out against the top lines.
All that, and I’m still excited about him going forward. He’s gonna be good. He is a rookie. He needs a mental and physical break.

The way they've spoken about his habits--the part that has me excited--is that they seem to believe that rather than hurting him, it'll make him better, i.e. they believe in his confidence and work eithic and are letting him just push thru it.

But I agree on all points

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
000.jpg

Your lucky, on my tv there is a row of pixels below and to the side of the grey bar that still show the play. They couldnt even position the bar to cover up the whole feed.

I thought maybe its somehow just my TV but nope, watch a highlight on their facebook page and the grey bar has a row of pixels on the side there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad