2020-21 ECHL Season Thread

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
They do typically meet in January, in conjunction with the all-star game when it occurs, or around that time if it doesn't. I imagine they will be having virtual meetings for a while yet, so they can meet as often as they feel necessary.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
That exceptional listing was simply a way for the BoG to justify their write-offs for a weekend junket to the Winter Wonderland of Kalamazoo.

You know what they say, "If you've never driven across Michigan on I-94 in January to go to a game at Wings Stadium, don't."

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Snapshot of hot-starting ECHL teams just 2 weeks into the shortened season, courtesy of The Sin Bin's Matthew Harding ...
The Big Dogs:

A check of the ECHL standings at the unofficial Christmas break reveals three teams at the head of the class when it comes to points percentage ... . For this section, we’ll put Wichita aside since they’ve only played one game.

The Florida Everblades have started quickly out of the gates, jumping out to a 4-0-0-0 mark and firing on all cylinders. The ‘Blades have scored 21 goals (a league-leading average of 5.25 goals per game), the second-best defense in the league (allowing 1.75 goals per game), and have a 127% special teams efficiency (combined power-play and penalty kill percentages), buoyed by their league-leading six power-play goals. ...

Meanwhile, the Indy Fuel are off to a 3-0-0-0 start after securing the extra point in the Mavericks’ home opener Friday night. While the offense is tied with Allen for second-best in the league (an average of 3.67 goals per game), the Fuel are playing tight defensively and getting solid netminding from Dan Bakala. The eighth-year pro leads the league with three wins, has allowed eight goals on 90 shots faced, has 2.56 goals against average and a .911 save percentage. Offensively, Matt Marcinew leads the Fuel with four points (part of the 14-way tie I mentioned above), and 14 players so far have registered a point. ...

Read more at: Monday Headlines - Week #2 - The Sin Bin

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So far, two weeks in, Florida and Indy are the front-runners of the league although Florida has been far more dominant.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This can easily be Florida’s year if they don’t fall apart late like normal. None of the usual league powerhouses are playing other than them

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This can easily be Florida’s year if they don’t fall apart late like normal. None of the usual league powerhouses are playing other than them
Would love to see your rationale for considering the Solar Bears to be among "the usual league powerhouses." Mostly because I'm bored, mind you. :allears:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Would love to see your rationale for considering the Solar Bears to be among "the usual league powerhouses." Mostly because I'm bored, mind you. :allears:
Am I missing a joke here? Seems obvious Atlantian said the only "usual league powerhouse" playing this year are the Everblades. Since the Solar Bears are playing, they are therefore not a powerhouse.

Reactions: Atlantian

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Am I missing a joke here? Seems obvious Atlantian said the only "usual league powerhouse" playing this year are the Everblades. Since the Solar Bears are playing, they are therefore not a powerhouse.
Nope, you're good. I (must have) misread Atlantian's post ... . Blame it all on the pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008

Should the AHL have a season, I imagine around 6 players will be called up to Milwaukee, which could affect performance. It would be a shame if they do see a significant drop in success due to that however.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
:huh: South Carolina? Allen?
South Carolina will be their only real competition because they’ll be playing so often. Allen I could see playing Florida in the finals. But Florida is consistently good in the regular season while the other two have had lackluster seasons in the recant past. But it’s almost a new roster every year so we’ll see what happens.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Five games on the slate for Boxing Day 2020 ...
Jacksonville Icemen (1-3-0) at Florida Everblades (4-0-0) 7 p.m. ET
  • Wacey Rabbit leads Jacksonville with two goals and four points.
  • Florida’s Patrick Harper leads the league with five goals.
  • Icemen have outshot their opponents 51-39 in the third period.
  • Everblades lead the league on the power play at 27.3 percent (6-for-22).
South Carolina Stingrays (2-0-1) at Greenville Swamp Rabbits (1-3-0) 7:05 p.m. ET
  • South Carolina’s Hunter Shepard leads rookie goaltenders with 123 minutes played.
  • Greenville’s Ben Finkelstein leads defensemen with two goals.
  • Stingrays lead the league with 1.67 goals-against per game.
  • Swamp Rabbits lead the league with 27.75 shots-against per game.
Wheeling Nailers (0-2-1) at Indy Fuel (3-0-0) 7:05 p.m. ET
  • Wheeling’s Shane Starrett is second with 184 minutes played.
  • Indy’s Matt Marcinew is tied for second in plus-minus at +5.
  • Nailers are tied for the league lead with two shorthanded goals.
  • Fuel have outscored their opponents 4-1 in the first period.
Tulsa Oilers (1-0-1) at Allen Americans (2-1-0) 7:05 p.m. CT
  • Tulsa’s Gregg Burmaster is tied for second among rookies with two goals.
  • Allen’s Zach Sawchenko is tied for fourth with a .941 save percentage.
  • Oilers have scored three of their six goals in the third period.
  • Americans are tied for second with 3.67 goals per game.
Wichita Thunder (1-0-0) at Kansas City Mavericks (0-0-2) 7:05 p.m. CT
  • Wichita’s Mitch Gillam is third with a .951 save percentage.
  • Kansas City’s Zach Osburn is tied for seventh among defensemen with two points (1g-1a).
  • Thunder are third with 35.00 shots per game.
  • Mavericks are tied for second on the power play at 22.2 percent (2-for-9).

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If Toledo and FTW don’t come back Indy definitely has a chance to go deep.
With only 21 days between when the Kelly Cup playoffs are scheduled to start (6/9) and the date protected lists are due (7/1) I don't think "go deep" is anything any team will do. I suspect just four teams will make the playoffs, and those will probably be best of five series.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
To be fair I don’t think even the ECHL knows what their playoff format is gonna be yet. I was thinking 8 makes sense but we’ll have to wait and see

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
To be fair I don’t think even the ECHL knows what their playoff format is gonna be yet. I was thinking 8 makes sense but we’ll have to wait and see
Not enough time to have 8 make it into the playoffs unless each series is best of three (meaning one weekend) with all three games in the same location. Plus you'll need to have a back-up plan in case a team loses a lot of players due to COVID. Theoretically, they can go into July (probably no later than the 4th) but I suspect they'd rather not. The ice in some of these places is going to get pretty bad with the spring and summer heat/humidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad