Salary Cap: 2020/21 CAP Allocations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
My point was that our current cap concerns aren't the same as the ones previously. The team will be offloading good assets (similar to Chicago after their first cup) rather than dumping bad contracts at a loss.

Yes, the current cap concerns are similar to Chicago after their first cup with one major difference. Our cap is pressed to the limit without winning a single playoff series. This current cap situation is totally self-inflicted through generous deals and a disproportionate allocation of cap funds to the forward group. We'll see how good the Kerfoot and Johnsson assets actually turn out to be with no cap increase. Johnsson may be unmoveable at this time with his injury, he may need to return and play well before he's a trade asset again. Moving Kerfoot is probably going to be like moving Zaitsev last summer requiring the team to take back contract(s). I'm going to pissed if Dubas moves Kapanen to free cap space in order to shore the defense. Kapanen shouldn't be going anywhere.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes, the current cap concerns are similar to Chicago after their first cup with one major difference. Our cap is pressed to the limit without winning a single playoff series. This current cap situation is totally self-inflicted through generous deals and a disproportionate allocation of cap funds to the forward group. We'll see how good the Kerfoot and Johnsson assets actually turn out to be with no cap increase. Johnsson may be unmoveable at this time with his injury, he may need to return and play well before he's a trade asset again. Moving Kerfoot is probably going to be like moving Zaitsev last summer requiring the team to take back contract(s). I'm going to pissed if Dubas moves Kapanen to free cap space in order to shore the defense. Kapanen shouldn't be going anywhere.
You could also compare our situation to the Caps pre cup as well where they had some cap casualties.

You're welcome to be pissed if he moves Kap for assets, personally I'm not tied to any individual player like that, I'd move anyone to improve the team.

Either way, I think Kap/Kerfoot/AJ are much different (read better) assets than Martin/Zaitsev/Marleau.

I won't fight you on saying we have overpaid our top players though

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Well, good teams don't have large amounts of cap devoted to players who don't have value, and are unable to resign their stars without some painful trades. Those 3 teams do.

The Leafs don't

Your point is that there are some other teams with worse situations. Who cares and so what. The Leafs' cap situation ain't great and that's this fan's only concern. I think there's the usual inflated sense of home town player value here when talking about the players we all have deemed expendable (Johnsson, Kerfoot). You and I think they're the most expendable. Don't you think other NHL teams also have less than glowing regard for these players as well? Johnsson kind of sucked compared to his contract season then blew out his knee. Kerfoot's numbers were fairly mundane, <0.5ppg, 9 goals. Why does another NHL team with their own cap pressures think that's worth a $3.5M cap hit?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Kapanen would be a mistake to let go, imho. Not unlike the strides Willie N made this year , i think Kappy's starting to show that his brain is starting to catch up to his footspeed. Showing some snarl, I think he puts it all together soon. I'd like to give him a another shot as a 'Hyman' on the second line.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kapanen would be a mistake to let go, imho. Not unlike the strides Willie N made this year , i think Kappy's starting to show that his brain is starting to catch up to his footspeed. Showing some snarl, I think he puts it all together soon. I'd like to give him a another shot as a 'Hyman' on the second line.

Kapanen would be a mistake of Alex Steen magnitude if moved. It's bad enough that we had to watch Kerfoot play in Kadri's place this season.

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just for fun.

Trades

:sens

Andreas Johnsson

:leafs

2020 2nd Round Pick (Dallas)
2020 3rd Round Pick (Winnipeg)

-------------------------------------------

:wings

Alexander Kerfoot

2020 2nd Round Pick (Washington)
2020 4th Round Pick (Edmonton)

**Don't get too caught up on the returns or the teams trading for these players. The general idea is that they will be moved for futures. That is in and around what I believe they are worth but that is simply an opinion. Working off of what Montreal got for Eller and what Chicago got for Andrew Shaw.

Signings

Travis Dermott - 2 years x $1,500,000
Ilya Mikheyev - 2 years x $1,750,000
Jason Spezza - 1 year x $750,000
Joe Thornton - 1 year x $1,000,000
Dylan Demelo - 3 years x $3,500,000

Lineup

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Thornton - Kapanen
Barabanov - Spezza - Engvall
Agostino

Rielly - Demelo
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Lehtonen
Sandin - Liljegren

Andersen
Campbell

Notes

-Cap comes in at $81,384,366
-This includes the Kessel retention
-Liljegren may be better served starting in the AHL and playing 25 minutes a night but that is working under the premise that there is an AHL season next year.
-We can carry three extra bodies and be under the cap
-Sandin/Lehtonen would swap in and out until someone grabs a hold. Dermott would switch back and forth from right to left depending on which he is playing with.
-If a player like Clifford/Simmonds or a player of that ilk would sign for cheap, you can send down Engvall/Agostino or even both to make room and get a bit more grit into the lineup.
-Spezza/Thornton can flip/flop
-I can't think of anyone off the top of my head but they could also sign an elite AHL centre that could take spot duty on the fourth line in case of injuries

It's not perfect - just an idea.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Just for fun.

Trades

:sens

Andreas Johnsson

2020 2nd Round Pick (Dallas)
2020 3rd Round Pick (Winnipeg)

-------------------------------------------

:wings

Alexander Kerfoot

2020 2nd Round Pick (Washington)
2020 4th Round Pick (Edmonton)

**Don't get too caught up on the returns or the teams trading for these players. The general idea is that they will be moved for futures. That is in and around what I believe they are worth but that is simply an opinion. Working off of what Montreal got for Eller and what Chicago got for Andrew Shaw.

Signings

Travis Dermott - 2 years x $1,500,000
Ilya Mikheyev - 2 years x $1,750,000
Jason Spezza - 1 year x $750,000
Joe Thornton - 1 year x $1,000,000
Dylan Demelo - 3 years x $3,500,000

Lineup

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Thornton - Kapanen
Barabanov - Spezza - Engvall
Agostino

Rielly - Demelo
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Lehtonen
Sandin - Liljegren

Andersen
Campbell

Notes

-Cap comes in at $81,384,366
-This includes the Kessel retention
-Liljegren may be better served starting in the AHL and playing 25 minutes a night but that is working under the premise that there is an AHL season next year.
-We can carry three extra bodies and be under the cap
-Sandin/Lehtonen would swap in and out until someone grabs a hold. Dermott would switch back and forth from right to left depending on which he is playing with.
-If a player like Clifford/Simmonds or a player of that ilk would sign for cheap, you can send down Engvall/Agostino or even both to make room and get a bit more grit into the lineup.
-Spezza/Thornton can flip/flop
-I can't think of anyone off the top of my head but they could also sign an elite AHL centre that could take spot duty on the fourth line in case of injuries

It's not perfect - just an idea.

As much as I would like to have Thornton on the team, if he plays with Kap and Mikheyev, both those players would have time for a sit down dinner with appetizers in the offensive zone while waiting for big Joe to join them.

Reactions: Ciao and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As much as I would like to have Thornton on the team, if he plays with Kap and Mikheyev, both those players would have time for a sit down dinner with appetizers in the offensive zone while waiting for big Joe to join them.
And time enough afterwards to hit the Mickey D's drive through window for a Happy Meal.

Reactions: Ciao

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

How many "shots" does Kapanen get on the second line before everyone sees he just can't do it. He can't retrieve pucks like Hyman and hasn't the playmaking or goalscoring of the big four.
He's a third liner and likely a cap casualty once this season is over.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
How many "shots" does Kapanen get on the second line before everyone sees he just can't do it. He can't retrieve pucks like Hyman and hasn't the playmaking or goalscoring of the big four.
The problem is that we have two shoot-first types of players on our top two lines that are better options to score than he is.

Honestly if we were able to leave Kerfoot and Kapanen together for any period of time this year it would have been a much better set up for both of them.

Kapanen still produced as one of the best 3rd line players in the league this year. I keep him around as long as I can.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The problem is that we have two shoot-first types of players on our top two lines that are better options to score than he is.

Honestly if we were able to leave Kerfoot and Kapanen together for any period of time this year it would have been a much better set up for both of them.

Kapanen still produced as one of the best 3rd line players in the league this year. I keep him around as long as I can.

With a flat cap there has to be turnover.
Kapanen is viewed by many as still having more upside to show and having a very good contract, his average salary is well below his $3.2 million cap hit due to his signing bonus already having been paid, makes him worth a first and maybe more.
He is more flash than substance and just leaves you wanting more.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Here here. Kappy may be a later bloomer who turns into an all-star. Same with Dermy. Those 2 guys are MASSIVE risks if traded. Each could become at or near top of league.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dan trading one of fastest guys in league is very risky. It is like trading a big man defender like a chara before giving him time to develop. It is Ottawa's demise and reason why they did not win Cup and Boston did. That is kind of error we are talking about here.

Reactions: deltamachine

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If Kappy were on a weaker offensive team, he'd be a PP regular and putting up way more impressive numbers. We really need to take into account situational use when evaluating the team's talent. Did you know that Kapanen was 5th in even strength points and tied for 3rd for even strength assists this past season?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Kappy were on a weaker offensive team, he'd be a PP regular and putting up way more impressive numbers. We really need to take into account situational use when evaluating the team's talent. Did you know that Kapanen was 5th in even strength points and tied for 3rd for even strength assists this past season?
None of us know if he can be da guy or not yet but I sure as h*ll would not trade him because he is showing signs of turning into a top tier player. Those kinda decisions made to early sink ships. Much like Dermy.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
None of us know if he can be da guy or not yet but I sure as h*ll would not trade him because he is showing signs of turning into a top tier player. Those kinda decisions made to early sink ships. Much like Dermy.

Can you imagine the benefits of Kappy as a 30-30 player making a paltry $3.2M AAV for the next 2 seasons?

Yo yo, you're right about Dermy too. A re-signed Dermy @ a bargain rate who takes flight as the man on defense would be one fine luxury ride.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Dan trading one of fastest guys in league is very risky. It is like trading a big man defender like a chara before giving him time to develop. It is Ottawa's demise and reason why they did not win Cup and Boston did. That is kind of error we are talking about here.
Defenceman take longer to hit their peak, some saying that you need to see them play for up to 300 games before you know what you have in the player. Forwards are different. Kappanen skates like the wind and on occasion will throw a big hit, which stands out on the current roster, but while he might get their first in a puck race he doesn't seem to know what he should do when he gets there.
Also he hasn't shown an ability to play with the best offensive talent on the Leaf s top two lines he simply, like some kids report cards say, "doesn't play well with others".
I would trade him as I haven't seen him show enough that he will ever put it together and be a top six player.
I would be happy enough to have him on the third line and PK but a flat cap means someone has to go.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I understand the Kappy love but he’s in the perfect role for himself a 3rd line scorer who helps on the PK. He went to a different team he would just become a boedker lite player. If a deal arises that makes the leafs stronger I wouldn’t be opposed to trading Kappy.

I’m probably too high on Mango but he has proven to play great in the top 6 with Matthews and Nylander I know people forget easily due to injuries this year but that line was fuego!

Not too worried about the cap with bad contracts like Marleau, Zaitsev, Martin, Komarov gone. I’m sure the Leafs will be just fine. When you have too many good players sometimes you gotta trade some away.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Can you imagine the benefits of Kappy as a 30-30 player making a paltry $3.2M AAV for the next 2 seasons?

Yo yo, you're right about Dermy too. A re-signed Dermy @ a bargain rate who takes flight as the man on defense would be one fine luxury ride.
Both these guys may or may not become top tier. But they are top 5 on team in speed straight line skating. Kappy #1, Rielly #2, Kerfoot #3. Willy and Dermy right there either #4 or #5.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Defenceman take longer to hit their peak, some saying that you need to see them play for up to 300 games before you know what you have in the player. Forwards are different. Kappanen skates like the wind and on occasion will throw a big hit, which stands out on the current roster, but while he might get their first in a puck race he doesn't seem to know what he should do when he gets there.
Also he hasn't shown an ability to play with the best offensive talent on the Leaf s top two lines he simply, like some kids report cards say, "doesn't play well with others".
I would trade him as I haven't seen him show enough that he will ever put it together and be a top six player.
I would be happy enough to have him on the third line and PK but a flat cap means someone has to go.
Yeah it was a bad analogy for sure ... my point was I don't want to trade guys like Kappy and Dermy until we KNOW for sure what they are gonna be

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Yeah it was a bad analogy for sure ... my point was I don't want to trade guys like Kappy and Dermy until we KNOW for sure what they are gonna be

To be fair, in a Kappy trade, you will be trading on potential. HOWEVER, the same will be said for Mango, BUT, I think he's pretty much close to hitting his plateau as a player and I would do my best to trade him before Kappy, even for a lesser return. Kappy's just got more tools, if a bit unpolished, but that speed is a difference maker, keeping the D honest.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

The top is true. He doesn't seem like a good fit as a supportive 3rd wheel for all-stars. He's also doesn't look like he has the brain to equal all-stars (all of the big 4 are top 10-15 in the league at their position.

But that doesn't lead to the bottom line as a conclusion, not by a long shot. He produced like a borderline 1st line player this season with 3rd line minutes and linemates, while being solid defensively, a big time pk threat, and gain some physical play. In a healthy lineup he can be a huge piece for us by driving a 3rd line that is going to get increasingly cheap/young over the remainder of his contract.

And while he doesn't have the skillset to be a great 3rd wheel, in times of injury he could likely be a fine 2nd fiddle to JT to keep us going with 2 top lines.

When his contract is up we'll likely have to choose between him and Nylander (not as equals), but that's two years away.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I think Kappy should be the driving force of our 3rd line and pk. Let him take charge of that line and keep him around while moving Kerfoot and Johnsson. He is perfect in that role and it is gonna be hard pressed to find a better third liner.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad