2019 - What is everyone looking forward to?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm curious how many people liked the Borderlands games playing in single player, if you even played it single player at all. The game is incredibly repetitive and grindy and only fun with friends, in which case, it means your friends are fun, not the game. I was only able to finish the original with a friend of mine. I tried playing 2 with another friend, we forced ourselves to get 10-15 hours in, and we both just agreed to stop playing because it wasn't fun.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm curious how many people liked the Borderlands games playing in single player, if you even played it single player at all. The game is incredibly repetitive and grindy and only fun with friends, in which case, it means your friends are fun, not the game. I was only able to finish the original with a friend of mine. I tried playing 2 with another friend, we forced ourselves to get 10-15 hours in, and we both just agreed to stop playing because it wasn't fun.

I've played only the first game and I played it only in single player. It's repetitive and grindy, but I still found that I couldn't stop. It's very much like Diablo/D2 in that the repetitiveness and grindiness hardly matters when the loot system is extreme and well balanced. Killing an enemy and seeing loot burst out of it like a pinata is extremely satisfying. I probably spent half of my play time either looking at the ground as I analyzed and picked up loot or looking at my inventory to decide what to drop so that I could pick up the thing at my feet. That may not sound like fun to you, but it's really satisfying for us loot addicts. We may hate ourselves for it, but we can't help it.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I played both Borderlands games alone and enjoyed them. I'd agree with Osprey to an extent about the loot, but I just didn't find it boring. It's repetitive, but it's not unfairly difficult, so it doesn't seem like as much of a chore. Getting guns that turn your controller into a vibrator was just a bonus.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Borderlands is a lot of fun co-oped, but yeah it's pretty repetitive if you start doing every little side quest.
Crash Team Racing remake is going to be so dope, especially with the added online multiplayer. Just so much nostalgia from childhood and it also works as a great drinking game:laugh:.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Borderlands is a lot of fun co-oped, but yeah it's pretty repetitive if you start doing every little side quest.
Crash Team Racing remake is going to be so dope, especially with the added online multiplayer. Just so much nostalgia from childhood and it also works as a great drinking game:laugh:.

When playing with others and getting better, it would always get many hours out of us. Like... hundreds. My girlfriend probably has 1000s of hours spanned across multiple versions of the games.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I solo'd Borderlands 2 and loved every minute of it. Perfect loot-based game for me honestly.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Played BL2 only solo and put 500+ hours into it. It's exactly my type of game. I loved grinding for the new legendary, or abusing the OP perks of the various characters. It's my favorite game ever and I never played with anyone. I only stopped because it got to the point of not having anything else to do really. I had beaten every boss, every quest on every difficulty. Grinding for the next legendary kinda lost it's purpose when I had already killed the most difficult boss with the current loadout. Can't wait for BL3

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Only really an issue for the mainstream, billion dollar developer crowd. The AAA space is incredibly flawed and the bubble will hopefully burst sometime soon, but there's still dozens of lower budget games that end up being better every year.

And here we go...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I got into the first boardland game for a bit, only single player, probably played about 15 hours before i got bored. That’s the type of game i want codes to get aome sick guns and just run through and destroy everyone.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Surprise hits for me so far:

-Apex Legends
-Devil May Cry 5

Still looking forward to:

-Pokemon Sword/Shield
-The Outer Worlds
-Ori and the Will of the Wisps (is this still a thing?)

Maybe:

-Total War: Three Kingdoms
-Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (accompanied by a healthy, well earned skepticism)

Still coming not coming out this year but I wish it was:

-Cyberpunk 2077

Reactions: Beau Knows

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I see Cyberpunk going the way of Kojima games. They showed it off WAY too early, its going to be in development for a few more years, people will get sick of the hype and it won't be anything amazing when it launches.

Hope im wrong.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I see Cyberpunk going the way of Kojima games. They showed it off WAY too early, its going to be in development for a few more years, people will get sick of the hype and it won't be anything amazing when it launches.

Hope im wrong.

I also hope you are wrong. :laugh:

Desperately. It looks great.

Last edited:

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

Hope im wrong.

It's most certainly being released before the end of Q2 2020.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Hope im wrong.
It will be released in the next 1-1.5 years.

They showed a 50 minute real time demo without any cuts or breaks, whereas Death Stranding has showed... a couple minutes of cut and pasted together gameplay of walking around?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
As big fan of history turn-based strategy game, I am eagerly waiting for Panzer Corps 2.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Cyperpunk is probably the only game I'm looking forward to. Gaming these days sucks, everything is a microtransaction.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It looks really good.

I'd be looking forward to it too, but am having the struggle of "should I spend ~$70 on this, or just play one of the other Total Wars I have again?"
Yeah maybe wait till its on sale next year or perhaps during steam Christmas sale.
Often TW games are good to wait a year after it comes out as the game will have not only added better features but also all the bugs will be fixed and some good mods will have been released.
My last TW games were Rome 2 & Attila, haven't played a new one in long time. Skipped both Thrones of Brittania & WarHammer. When i want to fight dragons & use magic i play Guild Wars 2 or Elderscrolls online instead, thats one reason i skipped WarHammer.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
There's a ton of crap out there, but quite a few gems as well. It's a weird time in gaming.

In my case I feel like it's a combination of getting older and not having time, along with the oversaturation of the market and games that are made for money grabs.

The sweet spot for gaming (For me at least) was around the 2000's. Even though I found the 90's funner overall, the 2000's was a time where technology was moving ahead by presenting us with amazing large games, while at the same time most games didn't have this whole microtransaction crap.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm excited for Halo: Infinite, and this is coming from someone that hasn't really been impressed or excited by a Halo game since Reach. The graphics engine looks awesome, and it looks like they may be going for an open-world game. It would be pretty awesome if you're able to explore the entire ring world, and if they do light RPG elements and a solid storyline, it could be one of the best Halo single player experiences. Halo 5 also had MOBA elements in its multiplayer, so it'll be interesting to see how they keep trying to innovate the genre in multiplayer as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad