Speculation: 2019 UFA targets

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
Too many variables yet. If we sneak into the top of the lottery and get Hughes? Maybe you start getting Hank to start firing off those “u up” texts to his buddy Erik. Other than that I’m really not sure. Maybe the same thing if they get Kakko

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Zero interest in Tanev, that guy is a black hole offensively and the Wings don’t have a Ghost/Krug to pair him with. Give Karlsson and Stone the due diligence they deserve and after they go elsewhere continue the rebuild.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd be okay with us targeting any of: Karlsson, Gardiner, Panarin, Stone, Eberle, and Edler. We need all the help we can get and depending on how the lottery goes we could have a lot of the pieces required. Of course, everything depends on what contracts are being offered but I think there is a lot of talent in this years FA.

My wish list would be something like Stone for 7 years at 10.5-12M per and somehow getting Gardiner at like 7 years by 7M, though I think he may push 7.5. Both guys are legitimate top line talents and are young enough that in 2 years time they would still be able to big pieces of the completed rebuild. If we could somehow move out Abby, Helm, and Glendening we would be in a much better place but I expect the only one of the 3 we could move would be Glendening.

However, we might be best served not signing anyone and taking a contract dumps from contenders and accumulating more picks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Unless we have a draft day miracle and land Hughes, I have a hard time getting behind going big for a guy to play on the wing. The only wing of the past ten years that I would feel comfortable saying will carry a line and a lesser center is Kane. We've seen teams led by great wings repeatedly come up short, especially when they run up against teams with better center depth. If Holland has it lined up to deal something like Mantha+ for a center after we signed stone, I could get behind it. But signing a wing to big money is almost as low on my list as signing a goalie to big money.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Unless we have a draft day miracle and land Hughes, I have a hard time getting behind going big for a guy to play on the wing. The only wing of the past ten years that I would feel comfortable saying will carry a line and a lesser center is Kane. We've seen teams led by great wings repeatedly come up short, especially when they run up against teams with better center depth. If Holland has it lined up to deal something like Mantha+ for a center after we signed stone, I could get behind it. But signing a wing to big money is almost as low on my list as signing a goalie to big money.

I understand, and agree with most of your concerns. However it should be noted that Stone is not your typical winger, he contributes in all 3 zones. In the last ten years Hossa is the only winger that has hit UFA that combines offense and defense as well as Stone does.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Zero interest in Tanev, that guy is a black hole offensively and the Wings don’t have a Ghost/Krug to pair him with. Give Karlsson and Stone the due diligence they deserve and after they go elsewhere continue the rebuild.

Wrong Tanev

For me it is Karlsson, Stone, or bust. I used to want Panarin or Skinner in that group as well but I don't think they are wise investments for reasons outside of their production at this point.

No need to dip into that middle ground of Gardiner/ Myers/ Eberle/ Hayes
They are all solid players and have strengths that would help, but the overpay required to get them will be enough of a detriment for me to not want them signed here

As it stands, despite how clear our cap situation is becoming, we will be paying $24.82M in 20-21 (not next year, the year after) to:
  • 36/37yo Nielsen
  • 33/34yo Abdelkader
  • 33/34yo Helm
  • 31/32yo Glendening
  • 30/31yo Dekeyser
  • 32yo Bernier
  • The Ghost Of Stephen Weiss
That is ~a third of the cap on bottom line Fs, a ~#5/6 D, a back up goalie, and a guy who hasn't played for us in several seasons

The cap will be more manageable but that doesn't mean we should cram it full of overpaid 2nd liners or 2nd pair guys, either spend big on a true star or stand pat and keep drafting and developing.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
As it stands, despite how clear our cap situation is becoming, we will be paying $24.82M in 20-21 (not next year, the year after) to:
  • 36/37yo Nielsen
  • 33/34yo Abdelkader
  • 33/34yo Helm
  • 31/32yo Glendening
  • 30/31yo Dekeyser
  • 32yo Bernier
  • The Ghost Of Stephen Weiss
That is ~a third of the cap on bottom line Fs, a ~#5/6 D, a back up goalie, and a guy who hasn't played for us in several seasons
This is depressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad