Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
injuries killed careers then at a much higher rate and so did life skills weak spots. plus you could get yourself blackballed pretty easily.

there was not a lot of hand holding.

Poor talent evaluation and player development was the biggest problem.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good list. I still believe that if Tryamkin ever comes over, the gap between him and third place is pretty wide.

Woo is the guy I could see moving up quite a bit next year, but he's fine there for now.

I'm not sure if you rated Rafferty below Brisebois due to sample size. I've only seen his few Canucks games myself, but I thought he showed more than Brisebois ever has at the NHL level. Nice little addition to the pool, but again, he's good at that spot given the small sample.

Just based on age . Brisebois is 21 and Rafferty is 23. Agree Rafferty looked better than Brisebois

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Since the V. Canucks have already announced they will not sign Brassard why are you still carrying him as a prospect?
Still is for a couple a months pal. Things could change tho probably NOT

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Since the V. Canucks have already announced they will not sign Brassard why are you still carrying him as a prospect?

My guess is that players are carried until the Canucks no longer have their exclusive NHL negotiating rights.

Reactions: Red

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My guess is that players are carried until the Canucks no longer have their exclusive NHL negotiating rights.

I have already heard he is being entered into the 2019 draft. If that's so, they have cut ties.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I have already heard he is being entered into the 2019 draft. If that's so, they have cut ties.
Whered you hear that? The little guy on your left shoulder or the little guy on your right shoulder?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Yes, we know they've cut ties. We know they don't want him. On the other hand, they still hold his rights.

If another team wants to sign him before June 1 (rather than take the chance of another team drafting him) they'd have to negotiate with the Canucks for those rights. If the Canucks cleaned house and a different Canuck general manager wanted to sign Brassard before June 1, he still would be able to do so without competition from other NHL teams.

As you've heard as an unsigned draft pick Brassard will re-enter the draft. Otoh, he isn't officially an unsigned draft pick yet, despite the Canucks telling him they won't be signing him.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Whered you hear that? The little guy on your left shoulder or the little guy on your right shoulder?

It was in a Straight.com article

"In any Case, it seems Eliot has beaten out Brassard on the Canucks' depth chart, with the team deciding not to sign Brassard to an entry level deal. He will, thus re-enter the draft."

A Mr. Canucklehead Prospect Info: 2019 Prospectspost #854 Mar 22, 2019
"Dhaliwal just tweeted that the Canucks will NOT be offering Brassard a contract."

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes, we know they've cut ties. We know they don't want him. On the other hand, they still hold his rights.

If another team wants to sign him before June 1 (rather than take the chance of another team drafting him) they'd have to negotiate with the Canucks for those rights. If the Canucks cleaned house and a different Canuck general manager wanted to sign Brassard before June 1, he still would be able to do so without competition from other NHL teams.

As you've heard as an unsigned draft pick Brassard will re-enter the draft. Otoh, he isn't officially an unsigned draft pick yet, despite the Canucks telling him they won't be signing him.

So in essence we are discussing a technicality? I understand.
So he will be re-entered in the draft unless some NHL GM wants to make a deal for him?

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
1. Hughes (star in the making)
5. Joulevi (despite failing to live up to his draft position, Juolevi is still a good prospect.)
7. Woo (legitimate top 4 NHL upside)
3. Madden (great development year. Needs to continue his development trajectory)
4. DePietro (still concerned about size for NHL. Can't argue his compete and his play at current level).
6. McEwen (Has he topped out or can he give more? If the latter then he has a place in the NHL).
9. Rathbone (Will he be a legitimate offensive D-man in the NHL or just a good AHLer? Time will tell.)
8. Lockwood (tweener. Upside is bottom 6 NHL energy winger)
16. Lind (NHL potential but real possibility he could completely bust within the next two years).
11. Rafferty (NHL potential. Needs a year in the AHL to make upside clearer).
10. Brisebois (depth call-up)
12. Sautner (depth call-up)
13. Eliot
14. Teves
15. Kiely
17. Karlsson
18. Thiessen
19. Utenen
20. Gadjovich
21. Jasek
22. Chatfield
23. Palmu

2. Tryamkin (probably best described as an asset rather than a prospect)

That would be closer to my rankings.

I weigh in top end potential and how the prospect is currently trending towards reaching their ceiling as well as positional importance.

1 Hughes-showing the right signs of becoming one of the top offensive defencemen in the league.

2 Woo - could be the ying to Hughes's yang (or vice versa).Has the skill set to pair up with a high end offensive guy like Hughes or (potentially) Rathbone or could also play on a top shutdown/PK pairing as well.Either way he projects to be a top four guy logging big minutes.

3 Madden- amazing progression this year with more than enough skill,speed,and smarts to be a two way top 6 fixture when he's ready.

4 Rathbone - has a ton of potential and a high ceiling and put up respectable numbers playing against real competition this year.Kind of a sleeper with some catching up to do but could be a good one.

5 Joulevi - was starting to live up to some of his draft hype with a hot start and putting up some impressive numbers in the AHL before injuries shut him down again.Still have some hope that he can stay healthy and fix his defensive issues and reach his potential but he still has a ways to go yet and needs to show some real progression next year or he'll drop further down the chart.

6 Brisbois - he's trending in the right direction and didn't look out of place in limited minutes in the NHL.I'd say there's still plenty of room to grow his game and become an NHL regular in the not too distant future.I was almost going to put him ahead of Joulevi but I'll give OJ the nod for now due to his higher ceiling.

7 Lind - clearly not ready for the AHL at the start of the year but probably too good to go back for another year of Jr's so maybe playing him in spot duty in the AHL with some gym time will work out for him in the long run.Seemed to be coming around towards the end of the season and a good off season to get stronger and faster could make a world of difference next year.He still has high end offensive potential and is our second best forward prospect although that's not saying much.

8 Sautner NHL bottom pairing depth defender who could play higher in a pinch with more development.Definitely worth keeping in the system.

9 Rafferty - didn't look overwhelmed in his NHL debut against a couple of contending teams and probably our second best RHD prospect at the moment.

10 Lockwood - has plenty of speed and enough skill and tenacity to carve out a spot in a modern day bottom 6.Interesting to see if he intends to sign or not next year.

11 DiPietro - has been hot and cold since the trade to Ottawa and size is still a valid concern.Still has NHL potential but far from a sure thing.

12 MacEwan - kind of a tweener in being a decent AHL top 6 player but not having enough finesse to pull that off at the NHL level.Might find a fit on an offensive third line somewhere down the road but not suited for any kind of checking/PK role which limits his value to a team.Probably a career AHL player who can be a decent call up option.

13 Teves - too limited of a sample size to project and stuck behind a number of other LHD prospects.AHL depth guy for now.

14 Karlsson - hard to gauge while playing overseas and his numbers this year don't exactly pop.Maybe a bit of an off year due to circumstances and can show more next season.Likely a bottom 6 type if he makes it to NA pro.

15 Jasek - not a great year but it was his first AHL season after limited minutes in the Czech league for the past few seasons so he's well behind in his development curve compared to most NA guys.Give him time and see what happens.

16 Kiely - good NCAA numbers and decent size.I'm guessing he'll compete for an AHL spot next season and see what he can do in the pros.

17 Eliot - decent point totals in the CHL for D-man in his OA season.Worth a look to see if he can carve out a spot in the AHL next season and bump down guys like Chatfield.

18 Gadjovich - needs to work on his skating and puck skills to even make an impression at the AHL level.Big project but fills a real need in the system if he can improve.

19 Utenen - showing progression while playing against men in Europe.Smaller with limited upside but an efficient,low event guy who could carve out an AHL spot in a few years.

20 Thiessen - didn't have a great year in the USHL but has good size and plenty of time to develop in the NCAA.

Making that list really shows how shallow our prospect pool is at the forward and RHD positions.LHD has good depth and G still looks OK even with Demko graduating but another prospect there would be good.Maybe spend one of our extra 6th rounders there.We definitely need to focus on forwards and RHD with our higher picks.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hard to argue with anything you said Bitz. Our prospect pool was gutted by taking EP and Demko out of it. Which is how its supposed to work.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Hard to argue with anything you said Bitz. Our prospect pool was gutted by taking EP and Demko out of it. Which is how its supposed to work.

It should be a lot better after how bad we’ve been for the last several years but too many picks were traded away and very few added.
Also,Hughes probably could count as graduated as he’s definitely an NHLer and if he’s taken out of the picture,our prospect pool is bottom 10 in the league.Should be much better than that as a rebuilding team.

I don't understand how Lind and Brisbois is so high in my opinion.

Lind has higher end offensive skills but needs time to mature physically to see if he can translate those to the pro game.He was one of the youngest players in the AHL last season and really wasn’t physically ready for pro hockey.You can’t teach talent and players can definitely get stronger and faster as they mature.

Who do you think should be ahead of Brisebois? He’s shown he can play at the NHL level at 21 y/o as a defenceman.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Biggest risers, Woo and Madden; biggest fallers, Lind and Gadjovich...both need a lot of time in the AHL...not the progression you're looking for in second rounders.

And unless Juolevi finds another gear, the Canucks first rounder in June rockets to the top of this list instantly.

Reactions: lindgren

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Biggest risers, Woo and Madden; biggest fallers, Lind and Gadjovich...both need a lot of time in the AHL...not the progression you're looking for in second rounders.

And unless Juolevi finds another gear, the Canucks first rounder in June rockets to the top of this list instantly.
I have Juolevi around 8 or 9 for Canucks prospects. Just a completely blown pick

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

So our biggest fallers are our first year pros and our biggest risers are still in Junior/College?

Significant? Coincidence? Typical?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see your point. If Woo, Madden and DiPietro all land in Utica as first-year pros and basically crater. Then it's more than what's happening with Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich.

It signifies a deeper problem--either with prospect development in Utica, or the drafting in the first place.

Reactions: Dab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad