2019 OHL Import Draft Review

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
As is the annual practice, I share with you my 2019 Import Draft Review. Over 8000 words with reports on all those players selected.

OHL Prospects: 2019 CHL Import Draft Review

I'm also surprised to see Barrie go after another import goalie so high in the draft. Like everyone else, I assumed that they moved Edmonds to make playing time for Greaves.

I love the pick of Hugo Has for North Bay if he reports. It's nice to see them making a bold pick.

I was surprised to see Malik fall to 50 when so many teams needed a goalie. He would have been a nice fit in Oshawa, Sudbury, or Niagara.

Instead, Sudbury took a lower rated goalie and Oshawa took another big, slow forward, as if they didn't have enough already. I'm curious to see if their against the grain style pays off. There must be some questions about Malik reporting to those teams for them to pass.

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018
Some food for thought re: Attack's two picks from the Import Draft. From elsewhere on the Board.

Brock Otten’s 2019 CHL Import Draft Review

Read the entire story here:

OHL Prospects: 2019 CHL Import Draft Review

Attack highlights here:

26. Owen Sound Attack - Stepan Machacek - Forward

The Attack took Czech forward Stepan Machacek, a late birthday 2002 (not eligible for the NHL Draft until 2021). He has already been named a candidate for the Czech Hlinka team this summer, which is obviously a promising sign as to his talent level. However, he did finish only 20th among U17 players in scoring in the Czech U19 league last year. You would obviously like to see slightly better production.

Scouting Report
:
Czech Prospects says, "Machacek is skilled player with playmaking ability. He always rather finds his teammates than shoots, his shot really needs to improve. He has a strong position game and he is very responsible defensively. I like his compete level and tenacity. He is strong on faceoffs and has a good size."

86. Owen Sound Attack - Julian Straub - Forward

The second round of the Import Draft can often be similar to throwing darts at the board and this is another one that seems unlikely to stick given the pedigree. Straub did not suit up for Germany Internationally this year, failing to make the Germany U18 team despite being a 2001 born. So if he's not considered one of the top 12-13 forwards in his age group in Germany, can he really make an impact in the OHL? It certainly seems unlikely. Although he does have a late birthday, so perhaps he is a late bloomer.

Scouting Report:

None of my German contacts had info on Straub (not necessarily the best sign). Here is what Dale DeGray had to say (in this article): "He’s a good skater, he’s big, he plays a heavy game and most importantly he scores. He’s got good skills and he should be coming up on the radar for NHL teams.”

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Instead, Sudbury took a lower rated goalie and Oshawa took another big, slow forward, as if they didn't have enough already.

LOL this again.. You died on this hill last year after you said the Gens had no chance vs NIA because they were so slow and everyone laughed at you because that was literally their biggest strength (and then they won 4 straight and eliminated the team you said they didn't even have a chance to win one game against).......

You clearly don't watch OHL hockey

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
LOL this again.. You died on this hill last year after you said the Gens had no chance vs NIA because they were so slow and everyone laughed at you because that was literally their biggest strength (and then they won 4 straight and eliminated the team you said they didn't even have a chance to win one game against).......

He’s a complete joke and most on this board know it. We all know how slow Noel is. Hahahaha.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

Already bookmarked it and added it to the growing list of his worst takes. Not sure what the vendetta is with Oshawa. We’re an eastern conference team that plays the Soo twice a year and this guy is obsessed with taking shots at every move the organization makes.

It would be rather funny if the imports for Oshawa, Sudbury, and Niagara all report and Malik doesn’t. Especially after suggesting he refused every team except the Soo.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Big players can be a strength, I wasn't taking a shot. It says right in Brock's scouting report that the player has questions about his skating. I was merely taking note of a trend that the team is continuing to embrace.

"Suni’s skating is a bit of an issue for me as his stride is a bit heavy and his speed is nothing special"

Oshawa's team is littered with players like than including their best one in Serron Noel. The team still did fairly well so obviously the strategy works to an extent. It's just a different style than most teams.

You guys don't have to whine and cry about every comment. Say something constructive for a change or don't respond at all.

Last edited:

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Big players can be a strength, I wasn't taking a shot. It says right in Brock's scouting report that the player has questions about his skating. I was merely taking note of a trend that the team is continuing to embrace.

"Suni’s skating is a bit of an issue for me as his stride is a bit heavy and his speed is nothing special"

Oshawa's team is littered with players like than including their best one in Serron Noel. The team still did fairly well so obviously the strategy works to an extent. It's just a different style than most teams.

You guys don't have to whine and cry about every comment. Say something constructive for a change or don't respond at all.
You have no credibility when you say Serron Noel is slow. You have obviously never seen him play. He is one of the fastest big men in the league. Gensupdates can show you many clips of him blowing by defenders. So it can be backed up. It’s not called whining it’s called proving a point that you are only here to cause issues with other posters. You are exactly the reason people have stopped posting on here. Go spew your crap on the Soo board I’m sure you may have a couple people back you up there but for the most part I doubt it as Soo fans are typically smart hockey fans

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Saw on the Sudbury board that Dichow might not come this year. Joe Bowen must be thrilled after his tirade about import goalies last week.

Not concerned about Suni's skating ability either. I'm going to assume that when Brock mentions a players weakness, hes not suggesting they're a lost cause. Suni is only 17 and thankfully the Gens provide their players with some of the best training available. He'll have a lot of great resources at his disposal for the next couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerf27

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
There still could be some signings this month and potentially throughout the season, but is the low amount of commitments surprising? It wasn't the greatest year for the OHL at the NHL draft, but this 2020 class should be turnaround year. Certainly a lot of opportunities to be scouted when there's a draft class that will feature Byfield, Perfetti, Drysdale, etc.

2019 - 28 OHL picks, 13 confirmed reporting so far

2018 - 27 OHL picks, 24 reported

2017 -25 OHL picks, 18 reported

2016 -29 OHL picks, 22 reported

Reactions: LDN

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Sounds like Malik was taken with the intent of him reporting for his age 18 season. As a likely first round NHL pick it makes a lot of sense.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sounds like Malik was taken with the intent of him reporting for his age 18 season. As a likely first round NHL pick it makes a lot of sense.
Same thing could be true with a Khusnutdinov in Erie

But Gensupdates loves to remind people how flawless Oshawa is

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Watched Suni today his skating is not an asset no question but should bring some other elements to his game maybe if developed my concern with Oshawa is softness. This is why they went and got psycho. Noel’s skating is good just doesn’t play a hard game for a big guy to me they haven’t drafted anyone with jam and may hurt them this and next year when Oshawa fans feel like they could make an impact. Their toughest pound for pound player is tullio and that isnt a good thing. Goaltending may also be an issue for them

Reactions: ottersguy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Gotta post a link supporting this, Malik in 2nd round doesn’t seem likely from what I’ve seen

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Watched Suni today his skating is not an asset no question but should bring some other elements to his game maybe if developed my concern with Oshawa is softness. This is why they went and got psycho. Noel’s skating is good just doesn’t play a hard game for a big guy to me they haven’t drafted anyone with jam and may hurt them this and next year when Oshawa fans feel like they could make an impact. Their toughest pound for pound player is tullio and that isnt a good thing. Goaltending may also be an issue for them

They weren't a tough team last year and they made it to the ECF and lost to a team that ran the East all season. I'm perfectly fine having one Bollers/Walker type player around for the forechecking and chirping, but I don't want the team going out of there way to waste draft selections on more players who might contribute 5 goals a season. Peterborough tried playing tough against the Gens last season and the Gens laughed them out of the building game after game. After 12 goals against, Tye Austin was probably begging his teammates to stop being idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad