Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Adding Karlsson longterm ruins our future lol? We had the deepest team of all time this year and got swept in 4. The Caps had Devvante Smith Pelly and Brett Connolly carrying them last year to a cup. I also saw Chris Johnson from Sportsnet said Karlsson would be willing to take a pay cut to come here. I can see Callahan, Gourde and maybe someone else gone at the draft. I'm really not crazy high on Gourde, I think we can replace him internally, and Karlsson will only make our offense better so it more than evens out.

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Karlsson
Sergachev-Rutta/Foote

ABB, Raddysh, volkov, another prospect or a cheap FA signing can replace Gourde pretty easy.
We'd need to re-sign Coburn because a Serg-Rutta pairing eliminates any improvements we'd make by signing Karlsson.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Adding Karlsson longterm ruins our future lol? We had the deepest team of all time this year and got swept in 4. The Caps had Devvante Smith Pelly and Brett Connolly carrying them last year to a cup. I also saw Chris Johnson from Sportsnet said Karlsson would be willing to take a pay cut to come here. I can see Callahan, Gourde and maybe someone else gone at the draft. I'm really not crazy high on Gourde, I think we can replace him internally, and Karlsson will only make our offense better so it more than evens out.

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Karlsson
Sergachev-Rutta/Foote

ABB, Raddysh, volkov, another prospect or a cheap FA signing can replace Gourde pretty easy.
why do people think we are getting karlsson ? I don't think we are we got no money to pay him

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm convinced they record this podcast through a few Styrofoam cups and some string.

Erlendsson says in this that Tampa is where Erik Karlsson wants to play, and he's let it be very known behind the scenes. Doesn't mean anything ultimately because he's not going to get the contract from TB he'd get from somewhere else, but talked about how Yzerman said during the whole Tavares thing that if a player of that caliber wants to play for you, you make it work. It sure seems like the ball is going to be in TB's court come July 1st.

I think he's going to go UFA, talk with Tampa and then resign his deal with SJ.
Why do I feel like he is using Tampa just like JT did with toronto to get the Sharks to way over pay for him ?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why do I feel like he is using Tampa just like JT did with toronto to get the Sharks to way over pay for him ?

I think he goes to highest bidder. I think he only comes here if we make room for him and he is willing to take less.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think he goes to highest bidder. I think he only comes here if we make room for him and he is willing to take less.
I think there is no chance he comes here he is not signing for 8-9 per year when on the market he can get 11-12 easy from a team. Even so there is no way in hell we can afford him even at 8 million a season. Look at all our RFA's next offseason we have to sign Serg, Cernek, Vasy, Joseph and Cirell to name a few. Pretty much we are going to have to at least double the Vasy contract next offseason.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I think there is no chance he comes here he is not signing for 8-9 per year when on the market he can get 11-12 easy from a team. Even so there is no way in hell we can afford him even at 8 million a season. Look at all our RFA's next offseason we have to sign Serg, Cernek, Vasy, Joseph and Cirell to name a few. Pretty much we are going to have to at least double the Vasy contract next offseason.
Why would he not sign for $9-9.5 Million here if that money would take him just as far as say $12 Million in San Jose??? State Taxes and cost of living still matter to people. Check this out and look at how much more expensive San Jose is in comparison to Tampa.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I dont think so either but it wouldnt surprise me. We are reportedly his preferred destination. We trade a few players away then it is looking possible. I do think there is a debate whether or not he would even help us. We add him and our bottom pairing likely has Sergachev and Ruuta there and we know how great that was. However having a top 4 of Hedman, Cernak, McDonagh, and Karlsson would be insane. Maybe we give Foote a chance since Ruuta wasnt that great.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
As other people have stated while getting karlsson would be a dream it would effect us in the long term with all the NMC etc. However if one team could manage it would be us. The fact that we are decent at drafting and have done reasonable well picking up free agents shows that we could do so. If we managed to get him half the team would most likely be off the roster, would be a garage sell for the other teams in the league:laugh:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why would he not sign for $9-9.5 Million here if that money would take him just as far as say $12 Million in San Jose??? State Taxes and cost of living still matter to people. Check this out and look at how much more expensive San Jose is in comparison to Tampa.
we can't even sign point with out at least dumping callahan or miller right now

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
He wants out of SJ because it's hard on his family and he said he would take a paycut to be in TB per Chris Johnson of Sportsnet. Erik Erlendsson said TB is karlssons preffered spot too, he voices it behind the scenes apparently.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
While Karlsson would be a fantastic addition, I'm a bit worried to tie him up long term. He is a terrific skater but there are some question marks in that regard long-term (injuries especially). Player's who rely on their skating can fall off the cliff quickly.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He wants out of SJ because it's hard on his family and he said he would take a paycut to be in TB per Chris Johnson of Sportsnet. Erik Erlendsson said TB is karlssons preffered spot too, he voices it behind the scenes apparently.

Do you have a link? When did Johnson say that?

EDIT: NVM, I see the main board thread.

The idea of him taking a discount definitely makes me pause and think about this. Free asset, not an outrageous cap hit, better use of cap than Callahan/Palat/pick your winger. Would probably still be too difficult to make work.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The hell? How is it hard on his family?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I gotta say, i'm shocked its hard on his family. Thats usually where all the wives want to be.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
You guys also forget that the expansion draft is coming soon and will snatch up one of the NTC guys for us and give extra cap. Things can be done to make it work this year and next.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
You guys also forget that the expansion draft is coming soon and will snatch up one of the NTC guys for us and give extra cap. Things can be done to make it work this year and next.

On the flip side, the following would have to be protected: Hedman, Karlsson, McDonagh, Cernak, Sergachev, Foote.

No trade offer is going to get around protecting all of those guys. There is no such promise that Seattle will handle their expansion draft the way Vegas did.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It really depends just how bad he wants to be here. That noise we are hearing definitely makes it more promising than ever, though still more likely not to happen. If he really wants it, it'll happen and probably for something that will make HFBoards explode in rage.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Let's say Gourde, Callahan, Palat/miller/Killorn get moved and our ufa's Stralman, Girardi, Coburn walk. Personally I dont mind killorn because he shows up EVERY playoff but nontheless he could potentially waive, he is making above average $ for his status range.

Here is how we could look:

Palat/Miller - Stamkos - Volkov/ABB/Raddysh/Joseph/ other prospect/ UFA
Johnson - Point - Kuch
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Erne - Paquette - prospect/UFA

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Karlsson
Sergachev - Rutta/Foote

Keep in mind, Karlsson improves the forwards he's on the ice with because he is that generational. I also feel we could trade Sergachev or Foote for a young stud winger that is exempt from expansion or just similar age and potential to play with Stamkos. Our top 4 is set for the next 10 years. And yes, I have Cernak over Sergachev, i think he is better and his style is more beneficial to compliment Hedman/ our d core and how it is.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Let's say Gourde, Callahan, Palat/miller/Killorn get moved and our ufa's Stralman, Girardi, Coburn walk. Personally I dont mind killorn because he shows up EVERY playoff but nontheless he could potentially waive, he is making above average $ for his status range.

Here is how we could look:

Palat/Miller - Stamkos - Volkov/ABB/Raddysh/Joseph/ other prospect/ UFA
Johnson - Point - Kuch
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Erne - Paquette - prospect/UFA

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Karlsson
Sergachev - Rutta/Foote

Keep in mind, Karlsson improves the forwards he's on the ice with because he is that generational. I also feel we could trade Sergachev or Foote for a young stud winger that is exempt from expansion or just similar age and potential to play with Stamkos. Our top 4 is set for the next 10 years. And yes, I have Cernak over Sergachev, i think he is better and his style is more beneficial to compliment Hedman/ our d core and how it is.
I wouldn't take the mindset of 10 years. It oversells what EK can do. McD is 29. EK and Hedman are 28. The odds of TB having three excellent 38+-year-olds still on the blueline in 10 years is unlikely.

We'll be set for next year for sure.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My hot take on the team. I don't expect any of Palat, Johnson or Killorn to waive so we are stuck with them. But we need to freshen up the forwards and bring up some Crunch kids. I would be willing to trade Erne and Paquette. I also would move Domingue while his value is at it's highest.

Erne had just 6 points in his last 38 games. Paquette had a good goal scoring year but his point totals aren't that great. Domingue had 21 wins but his save % and GAA were pretty average at best. We don't really have the hitters like Paquette or Erne in Syracuse but neither of those players did much difference in the playoffs. We can run a Volkov - Verheaghe - Stephens 4th line which would probably be better than Erne - Paquette - Callahan. We can also find a backup goalie who makes similar to Domingue for the same money, someone like Cam Ward for 1 year. We can use those 3 players as bait to dump Callahan or acquire picks that we can then attach to Callahan.

Cooper is an idiot when he thinks he's the smartest person in the room. He got lucky with the triplet line for one year and has been living off that and the fact Kucherov became an MVP player. He needs to hold players accountable for their play and demote them to where they belong. Gourde and Point had great chemistry but he broke them up, Palat sucks but him and Johnson do well together but he broke them up, he always is trying to find the next trio instead of just keeping a strong duo and switching in a new 3rd to find one that fits. This is how I would do my lines.

Gourde - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Palat - Johnson - Joseph
Volkov - Verheaghe - Stephens

Kucherov can work with almost anyone. Stamkos needs to suck it up and move to the wing, keep the Killorn - Cirelli duo. Palat and Johnson go to the 3rd line where the were good before and where their current play is, Joseph can adapt to them and has speed like Johnson to make that line dangerous. The 4th line isn't a traditional one but 3 hungry kids with good two way games and energy should add another threat for us.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I wouldn't take the mindset of 10 years. It oversells what EK can do. McD is 29. EK and Hedman are 28. The odds of TB having three excellent 38+-year-olds still on the blueline in 10 years is unlikely.

We'll be set for next year for sure.

Chara is 41 and was never mobile to begin with, he is still carrying the load for Boston. Theyre also not signed for 10 years but you get my point, theyll be late thirties, still will be elite.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
My hot take on the team. I don't expect any of Palat, Johnson or Killorn to waive so we are stuck with them. But we need to freshen up the forwards and bring up some Crunch kids. I would be willing to trade Erne and Paquette. I also would move Domingue while his value is at it's highest.

Erne had just 6 points in his last 38 games. Paquette had a good goal scoring year but his point totals aren't that great. Domingue had 21 wins but his save % and GAA were pretty average at best. We don't really have the hitters like Paquette or Erne in Syracuse but neither of those players did much difference in the playoffs. We can run a Volkov - Verheaghe - Stephens 4th line which would probably be better than Erne - Paquette - Callahan. We can also find a backup goalie who makes similar to Domingue for the same money, someone like Cam Ward for 1 year. We can use those 3 players as bait to dump Callahan or acquire picks that we can then attach to Callahan.

Cooper is an idiot when he thinks he's the smartest person in the room. He got lucky with the triplet line for one year and has been living off that and the fact Kucherov became an MVP player. He needs to hold players accountable for their play and demote them to where they belong. Gourde and Point had great chemistry but he broke them up, Palat sucks but him and Johnson do well together but he broke them up, he always is trying to find the next trio instead of just keeping a strong duo and switching in a new 3rd to find one that fits. This is how I would do my lines.

Gourde - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Palat - Johnson - Joseph
Volkov - Verheaghe - Stephens

Kucherov can work with almost anyone. Stamkos needs to suck it up and move to the wing, keep the Killorn - Cirelli duo. Palat and Johnson go to the 3rd line where the were good before and where their current play is, Joseph can adapt to them and has speed like Johnson to make that line dangerous. The 4th line isn't a traditional one but 3 hungry kids with good two way games and energy should add another threat for us.

Killorn has a modified NTC next summer, so he has to give a list. We'd need Johnson or Palat to waive a year early, but Johnny might want to go to Seattle so it works out. Miller will have a modified NTC too so it is possible to make the money work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad