Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I still don't understand what the hell happened. We beat teams in so many different ways all season and we cant beat Columbus? The thought crossed my mind that this was staged or planned by the league. I know it wasnt but it did cross my mind lol.

Our players got lazy and cocky.... AGAIN. Old habits die hard. We half assed the whole '15-'16 season and the back half of '17-'18 because we had nothing to play for and followed it up with more dookie in games 6 and 7 of the ECF. Our leadership is garbage tier. We didn't lose because Cooper can't figure out a trap. We lost because our guys collectively shit their pants because for the first time all year someone wasn't afraid to hit us back and everyone started feeling sorry for themselves.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think he will do very well as the crunch general manager. AL Murray still runs the draft and now will also be involved in the offseason process free agency and trades with brisebois. Darche will be more involved with cap management and contract negotiations.
Al was mostly involved with those things already, so a lot of these changes are really just a shift in title and (i'm assuming) pay.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Boston is a one trick pony. I can't believe Columbus pissed it away. Jackets were great against us and gave it up to Boston. If they even make the finals it's such a fraud. I hope the canes kick their ass.
I'm sorry, but Columbus isn't anything special. People were falling all over themselves to talk about how Jarmo was so great for making all those moves and taking out the mighty Lightning, but lost to Boston in 6, who certainly aren't what they were 4-5 seasons ago.

We handed them that series on a silver platter and refused to try and take it back.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Columbus isn't anything special. People were falling all over themselves to talk about how Jarmo was so great for making all those moves and taking out the mighty Lightning
Now they're REALLY not anything special as all of those players they made moves for will walk out the door and sign elsewhere and the Blue Jackets lost a fair amount of assets for the future. Jarmo is not looking so great now IMO.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I feel like the Jackets would've been the favorites to win the Cup if they had won that series. That was a close series, all things considered; Bruins deserve credit and nothing should be taken away from them, but the Jackets weren't far away themselves from winning it instead.

That was a team with no playoff series victories, ever. They managed to change that this year, emphatically. Unfortunately for them, they're going to be hard-pressed to keep Bobrovsky and Panarin, and that obviously hurts for them. But they were going to lose them anyway, right? If anything, a little success gives them that little bit of a chance of keeping either of them that they didn't previously have. Jarmo saw it as time to see if this group could make a run or not; not every gamble pays off in the Cup, but I applaud him for trying.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'm sorry, but Columbus isn't anything special. People were falling all over themselves to talk about how Jarmo was so great for making all those moves and taking out the mighty Lightning, but lost to Boston in 6, who certainly aren't what they were 4-5 seasons ago.

We handed them that series on a silver platter and refused to try and take it back.

You inserted a lot into what I didn't even say but whatever.

Jackets were a good team. They could've beaten Boston. Some terrible goals let up at the worst time cost them and their offense not helping hurt them too. We can be bitter or expound every reasoning or "How?" They managed to beat us but the fact of the matter is, they did. Boston, irrelevant of what you think about Columbus, is a one trick pony. The fact that theyre in the finals is such a sham. That was the point of my post, not to regurgitate the same drivel of how good we were and how ordinary they were, when our asses got sent home in 6 days. We were nothing special when it mattered, if being good correlates to having 62 regular season wins then count me out for that next season.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I really wanted TB to look at Maroon either last offseason or this TDL. He's been a beast for them in the playoffs.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He wouldn't have been a bad target. I don't recall what his contract with STL looked like though.
Maroon signed a one-year deal with STL last summer for 1.75m. He'll be UFA again in July.

The deal before was with Anaheim. His AAV was for 2 million.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He wouldn't have been a bad target. I don't recall what his contract with STL looked like though.
He took a discount to go to STL and not move his son. Doubt he would have come as cheap as he did elsewhere.

From things I've read and seen, Maroon is a huge family guy. Glad to see him thrive in his home town at the most important time.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Our players got lazy and cocky.... AGAIN. Old habits die hard. We half assed the whole '15-'16 season and the back half of '17-'18 because we had nothing to play for and followed it up with more dookie in games 6 and 7 of the ECF. Our leadership is garbage tier. We didn't lose because Cooper can't figure out a trap. We lost because our guys collectively **** their pants because for the first time all year someone wasn't afraid to hit us back and everyone started feeling sorry for themselves.
Wait, so Cooper isn't part of the "leadership"?

I don't get the love affair with Cooper. He hasn't won jack shit here. Never will. I can't wait till he gets fired.

Reactions: PJ817 and ultra63

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

Thanks, I hate it.

Our team has no grit or heart. Where are the dudes with fire in their gut that take no shit? You see it on these other teams. Theres a physical and mental toughness. Our team is so damn laid back - that's just the personalities of the players we have.

Where are the dudes on our team that are juuuuuuust a bit crazy that would run through a wall to win? A Dingman, Boyle, Marty, etc. Those dudes all had a chip on their shoulder. We need more personalities like that.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Where are the dudes on our team that are juuuuuuust a bit crazy that would run through a wall to win? A Dingman, Boyle, Marty, etc. Those dudes all had a chip on their shoulder. We need more personalities like that.
We got Domingue. :dunno:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Well, except 62 games which like, one other guy has done in history.

Cool. Let's all get President's Cup T Shirts and have everyone laugh at us. If you really think that's a big deal...I'm sorry to tell you but no one cares. In fact, it is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ817

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If anyone has an Athletic sub and wants to drop some highlights from the Smith article with Cooper, that'd be great. BP seemed to have a problem with some of Cooper's quotes.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If anyone has an Athletic sub and wants to drop some highlights from the Smith article with Cooper, that'd be great. BP seemed to have a problem with some of Cooper's quotes.

Not going to post the whole article. Some key quotes.

Cooper:

What would he have done differently?

“That’s probably a better question for me at the end of the summer when I get to digest, take a step back and get out of the emotions of being upset with what happened,” Cooper said. “As a staff, you get to sit back and see what exactly went wrong. I think we’ll address the issues that went wrong in this series. No takebacks, no stepping back. All we can do is look forward and grow from the experience and try to get another kick at the can. We’ve been knocking at the door now, but this one has a different feel than the other ones. Definitely a motivating factor.”

Stamkos:

“I think it’s more execution on us,” Stamkos said. “The strength of our team is carrying the puck and making plays. Sometimes you stray from things that make you successful when you’re under pressure. You try to make the easier play instead of the play that made us successful. In terms of us executing, we kind of got away from that, and that played into their hands. They tried to clog up the neutral zone, cause us to dump pucks. They know we’re a more dangerous team when we’ve got the puck and utilize our speed. They did a good job of counteracting that.”

Former HC:

“To me, defense wins all the time, and Columbus was willing to play above the puck all the time,” said one former NHL coach. “They were willing to give the hit all the time, they’d sacrifice to play defense. They were committed the whole 60 minutes to play above the puck, and Tampa tried to beat everyone one-on-one.”

JBB:

“They executed their game plan really well, and at the end of the day, more often than not, it’s not the system, it’s not the game plan, it’s the execution,” Lightning GM Julien BriseBois said. “It falls on all of us to make sure we execute. Obviously, collectively, we failed.”

Vasi:

“I just think that the last five to 10 games in the regular season, we didn’t play our best hockey in a consistent stretch, and that’s why in the playoffs we were not that great,” Vasilevskiy said. “Columbus, on the other side, they had a hot stretch. They came ready to play, and we just weren’t ready for that.
“The Presidents’ Trophy won’t help any team to win in the playoffs unless they bring hard work, attitude.”

Cooper:

“Did winning mask the problem? It might have,” Cooper said. “But we were still winning. We were growing as a team. It’s just tough that it happens at this time and we just couldn’t recover.”

“It was much more mental, emotional than anything else,” he said. “Not to say we as coaches can’t do a thing to prepare for that and try to switch it when it happens, but I don’t think the series was about tactics and personnel adjustments.
“When you get into that pressure-packed situation, sometimes the brain gets turned off. It’s really uncomfortable not coming into form late in the season and going in (to the postseason) with bad habits. But it’s a very real thing they deal with. When habits are not sharp, bad stuff starts to happen.”

NHL HC:

“They had already seen what bad could happen to them in Game 1, and they just kept playing,” said another NHL coach. “(Columbus) was more prepared for adversity, mentally.
“I think you don’t want to play scared, but you want to be aggressive. If you have no fear, then that’s really arrogance, and you have to do something to instill a little bit of fear in your team, the fear of possibly losing.”

JBB:

“Florida hired Joel Quenneville, the Flyers hired (Alain Vigneault). They’re all really good coaches,” BriseBois said. “They’re all experienced coaches who have succeeded at the NHL level, all their organizations and all fan bases are excited to get those coaches and rightfully so. But if you look at their past record, they’ve all had disappointment in the playoffs. They’ve been swept or went up 3-0 in a series and ended up losing. That doesn’t take away from how good a coach they are.”

Craig Button:

You need brutal honesty. Humility. And it goes both ways.
“I think the players have to be part of it,” said Button, the former Flames general manager and Cup-winning executive with the Stars. “I think one of the biggest things you can’t do is not include players in this process. ‘What did you feel? What did you think of how you did? What did you think last year had to do with this year?’
“To me, good organizations get input from all the areas. ‘Nikita, what frustrated you?’ ‘Steven, this happened last year, do you see similarities?'”

Cooper:

“Is it humbling? There’s no question,” Cooper said. “This league humbles you way before you have success. And you have to know, coming in, those hurdles because eventually only one team wins and it’s just much tougher when you’re out in the middle of April instead of the middle of June.
“For all of us, we have a piece in what happened here.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad