Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What's with the reffing complaint? I'm seeing tons of calls being made, I mean Vegas had a PP in double OT - blaming refs because we lost is hilarious.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's kind of depressing watching these playoffs. Hockey is honestly too random of a sport. It's fine when your team isn't that good but when you have a historically good team and still only have a 25% chance to win the cup it's kinda annoying.

Such a salty post.

It's too random how? Because your team assembles the best team on paper and isn't given the Stanley Cup without earning it? Worse teams only win because they're lucky right :eyeroll:.

I mean, the bolded obviously hyperbole but clearly you don't know how favorable your odds are to have a 25% chance in a field of 31 teams.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Such a salty post.

It's too random how? Because your team assembles the best team on paper and isn't given the Stanley Cup without earning it? Worse teams only win because they're lucky right :eyeroll:.

I mean, the bolded obviously hyperbole but clearly you don't know how favorable your odds are to have a 25% chance in a field of 31 teams.

If we were an NBA team we would’ve won the cup easily. That’s all I’m gonna say. Obviously there is more to it than luck but in other sports when the skill gap is big enough nothing else really matters.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What's with the reffing complaint? I'm seeing tons of calls being made, I mean Vegas had a PP in double OT - blaming refs because we lost is hilarious.
We had no power plays because we didn't play good and didn't earn them. And even if we did, our power play was so bad it wouldn't have mattered.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If we were an NBA team we would’ve won the cup easily. That’s all I’m gonna say. Obviously there is more to it than luck but in other sports when the skill gap is big enough nothing else really matters.
The only sport that works like that is the NBA. That's cause the NBA is the ultimate individual "team" sport. Nothing is close to it in that regard.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There's less parity in the NBA because the best players play a lot more. But the thing is, our star players sucked. It wouldn't have mattered even if they were superhumans capable of playing 60 minutes a game. Guys like Cirelli and Cernak outplayed our star players.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We had no power plays because we didn't play good and didn't earn them. And even if we did, our power play was so bad it wouldn't have mattered.

Nobody mentions Kucherov' getting a slap on the wrist with only 1 game, I say we got some league favoritism there, easily could've suspended him 2 games and nobody would've batted an eye.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Don't see a whole lot of folks doing that. Just discussing the standard of officiating in this league. Which is bad.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So you think we should have just won because we're talented? That's not how it works man.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

"If we played a completely different sport that operates in a completely different way we would've won," surely you know how stupid that sounds?

That second statement, surely you have played sports before right? :facepalm:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The reffing wasnt the reason we lost but it didnt help. Our special teams was awful. We kill those penalties then we are still playing, period. Our Pk which was so awesome all season long and then couldnt stop a beach ball from going into our net in our net in the playoffs. Absolutely not on the refs there. What I will say is I thought it was weird how we were getting all the calls for interference and such when they were doing the exact same things to us but not calls. That was what irked me about the refs.

Anyways, I still think that we should have been able to handle their PP and that was the biggest reason we lost imo. We gave up so many PP goals. We let some of their players just stand in front of Vasi and it made no sense to me. How do you let that happen? Every time too. None of our coaches or other players on the bench was like who is going to clear the crease? Just seemed weird to me as well. Totally baffled was the word that came to me when this thing was over. Dont get me wrong Columbus totally dominated TB, I just thought a few things were off that made a difference. Our PK never just let somebody stand in front of vasi like that all season long. Now in the playoffs they are? Then the other thing is we scored how many goals all year long and we couldnt even get into their zone. How is that right? Now chalk it up to the players, refs allowing things, playoffs, blah blah but it still again baffles me. The game is totally different and yea it feels like the regular season is just a preseason to what actually "matters" but I do feel like playing 82 games the way we did cant be dismissed.

I was in awe watching this team at times this year. Again makes me baffled at the result we saw in the playoffs. Still trying to even make sense of how this team couldnt even get up for these games. After the kind of regular season they had, you would have thought they were going to be coming for blood in the playoffs. Instead we get opposite effort. Also felt like we barely had the puck. What was the time of possession? That was maybe the biggest thing. We could never really get anything going because we really never had the puck for consistent enough time. Torts really did do a great job in this series. I can give him and Columbus enough credit to where they really didnt give us anything. Still think the best regular season team that put me in awe should have put a better showing.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Nobody mentions Kucherov' getting a slap on the wrist with only 1 game, I say we got some league favoritism there, easily could've suspended him 2 games and nobody would've batted an eye.
That's easily at least 2 if Kucherov is not a star forward. Us being down 2-0 probably factored into it as well. In the regular season that's 3+ games.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's easily at least 2 if Kucherov is not a star forward. Us being down 2-0 probably factored into it as well. In the regular season that's 3+ games.

They definitely factored in a possible elimination for anything more than 1 game, suspending the leagues top scorer and hart trophy favorite was a big no, no.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
They definitely factored in a possible elimination for anything more than 1 game, suspending the leagues top scorer and hart trophy favorite was a big no, no.
Agreed, when I saw the hit, I thought easily he deserved 2 games for it. Was shocked at the one game.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
The reffing wasnt the reason we lost but it didnt help. Our special teams was awful. We kill those penalties then we are still playing, period. Our Pk which was so awesome all season long and then couldnt stop a beach ball from going into our net in our net in the playoffs. Absolutely not on the refs there. What I will say is I thought it was weird how we were getting all the calls for interference and such when they were doing the exact same things to us but not calls. That was what irked me about the refs.

Anyways, I still think that we should have been able to handle their PP and that was the biggest reason we lost imo. We gave up so many PP goals. We let some of their players just stand in front of Vasi and it made no sense to me. How do you let that happen? Every time too. None of our coaches or other players on the bench was like who is going to clear the crease? Just seemed weird to me as well. Totally baffled was the word that came to me when this thing was over. Dont get me wrong Columbus totally dominated TB, I just thought a few things were off that made a difference. Our PK never just let somebody stand in front of vasi like that all season long. Now in the playoffs they are? Then the other thing is we scored how many goals all year long and we couldnt even get into their zone. How is that right? Now chalk it up to the players, refs allowing things, playoffs, blah blah but it still again baffles me. The game is totally different and yea it feels like the regular season is just a preseason to what actually "matters" but I do feel like playing 82 games the way we did cant be dismissed.

I was in awe watching this team at times this year. Again makes me baffled at the result we saw in the playoffs. Still trying to even make sense of how this team couldnt even get up for these games. After the kind of regular season they had, you would have thought they were going to be coming for blood in the playoffs. Instead we get opposite effort. Also felt like we barely had the puck. What was the time of possession? That was maybe the biggest thing. We could never really get anything going because we really never had the puck for consistent enough time. Torts really did do a great job in this series. I can give him and Columbus enough credit to where they really didnt give us anything. Still think the best regular season team that put me in awe should have put a better showing.

---Even with Columbus playing well and us playing not up to snuff this is the single biggest reason we were swept. Up 3-2, SH goal, take a penalty then our PK gives up a winner; game 2, down 1-0, I believe we gave up back to back PP goals to make it 3-0 and really empower their trap; game 3, they take the lead on the PP, game 4 they take the lead on the PP and then score the winner on the delayed PP (6 v. 5). It sucks the PK really looked so much like the one from last season--just a box rotating instead of hounding and pressing the puck holders.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So with SY gone, and potentially losing Verbeek, who do we think the asst. GM/Crunch GM will be? Or will JBB keep the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad