HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It’s amazing how no one here considers any of this.

Consider what? That each player is different and that some players are more ready than others? Nobody considered that? Or that there are inside stuff we don't know? Really?

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Byron's production is definitely good enough for the 3rd line. I just don't think he fits on this team. Remember, last year he wound up on the 4th line. And remember it wasn't because of injury.

He's too small to play with Drouin and Domi. It was tried and it didn't work - they couldn't maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. And imo, he doesn't have good chemistry with KK. If cj ever breaks up the Danault line, Byron's always good with Danault. But I don't see them being broken up.

So for now I have him on the 4th line, like kast year. But that will change if he develops chemistry with Kk or the Danault line is broken up.

But in the mean time, I'd like to see if Poehling, Suzuki and Evans can do better with KK and Domi. And ultimately, maybe Drouin is the problem and Byron would do fine with Domi and a different offensive pkayer.
Personally, I think Byron is fine with KK, but we could flip him and Tatar to spread the goalscoring talent out a bit.

Or play Gallagher with Domi, and Byron with Danault and Tatar, KK with Poehling and Suzuki, with Caufield replacing Suzuki eventually.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I don't put much stock into preseason, posters were going nuts when Jan Bulis was crushing it in preseason. The last game or two when the AHLers have been sent down is a little better but even then the vets aren't giving it 100%. They play too many preseason games and should cut it in half imo. I've heard a lot of talk about the NFL and calls to cut their preseason in half, it's such a waste of time imo.
I'll say it. I must be one of the rare ones who enjoy preseason games. I like how many there are. We get to see the whole roster and where players are at. Poehling, Suzuki, Fleury, Evans, Belzile, Barber, Varone .. get to see Cousins and Chiarot. Primeau! Gets you to have a look at the roster before players all go their way.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/l-info-que-vous-n-avez-pas-dans-la-prise-de-decision-3.1335705

To all the the HFboard mini coach who think they are better then Julien and Bergevin listen to this PLZ

No idea what you mean. You think people don't know that there are inside stuff? When a player plays badly, before you judge him...do you know FOR SURE that he's not hurt? Or that his dog didn't die in the morning? If you don't want HF to have mini coaches, stop writing here. 'Cause if we would have to wait to know everything before we can discuss subjects.....close this board.

In the end, you don' t think that there''s a serious leadership problem when a kid doesn't want to play the PP ever 'cause he's being shout at by vets. You also think that there's a management problem when players decide whoever they want to play with. Geez, maybe the inside that we are seeing here is that while TBay has all the talent, chances are they don't have the greatest leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79 and Mrb1p

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Consider what? That each player is different and that some players are more ready than others? Nobody considered that? Or that there are inside stuff we don't know? Really?

Did you watch the video?

The point is the zeal with which people here call everyone in management an idiot while holding f***ing ZERO information.

Reactions: Mudz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/l-info-que-vous-n-avez-pas-dans-la-prise-de-decision-3.1335705

To all the the HFboard mini coach who think they are better then Julien and Bergevin listen to this PLZ

Yeah, I can still say Julien and Bergevin are Pejorative Slured as f*** even with this "groundbreaking" info. Guy talks like if he was Bergevin in this video. Full of excuses.

Youre not winning ?
1. Thats not the fault of a single player.
2. Do you NEED to win now ?

Your vets come in and whine instead of taking matters in their own hand ? Trade them because if youre 35 and you still whine to the coach, youre a bad teammate.

What's he up to these days?

Woosh :laugh:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Did you watch the video?

The point is the zeal with which people here call everyone in management an idiot while holding ****ing ZERO information.

Yeah I did. And yes, again, we will call it the way WE see it. 'Cause the only thing we can do. Not sure why it matters anyway what our uneducated opionion is. It's not like management would take what WE think and listen to us. We live in a fan world with the infos we have. And we discuss it. And again, if we have to wait to have ALL the infos, close this board. Unless you want post after post writing ''Well let's hope for the better, they know more than we do...." That would be fun. And they all know more than we do....till 3 years after they are fired. Suddenly, they weren't that great to begin with....lol

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaneimi - Drouin
Byron - Poehling - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Cousins/Weal - Armia
Thompson

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Fleury/Folin
Reilly

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaneimi - Drouin
Byron - Poehling - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Cousins/Weal - Armia
Thompson

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Fleury/Folin
Reilly
But that's a 24 players roster, including the two goalies. You need to waive or send down two others players.

I cant see us waiving any of Cousins, Weal or Thompson after just signing them so unless there's an injury, one of Poehling and Suuzki will start the year in the AHL.

I could see Reilly being waived, though, if Fleury keep playing at this level. Folin can be no. 7 dman

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But that's a 24 players roster, including the two goalies. You need to waive or send down two others players.

I cant see us waiving any of Cousins, Weal or Thompson after just signing them so unless there's an injury, one of Poehling and Suuzki will start the year in the AHL.

I could see Reilly being waived, though, if Fleury keep playing at this level. Folin can be no. 7 dman

If Suzuki and or Poheling are the best options for the top 9, i.e. they each prove to be better than 2 of Lehkonen, Byron, and Armia, then they will get that role. That will set a domino effect: two of Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia will move back to the 4th line. I'd keep Weal at center. That pushes 1 of Thompson and Cousins to the 13th forward, and the other to Laval (assuming we go with 8 d). It doesn't matter that we just signed them. CJ will go with the best. Cutting one of Thompson and Cousins isn't a big deal - it's what happens when 2 young guys steal vets spots.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Starting the season with Poehling on the 4th would be dumb. A crying shame even!

This kid needs top 9 playing time.

I have this feeling that Poehling will take over Kotkaniemi as #3 C sometime during the season. I hope not, but with KK being moved to wing late last season, I feel like this might happen again, which would be stupid as well.

We know the Tatar - Danault - Gally line is a fixture only.

Musical chairs will be played with the other 3 lines.

If Poehling continues to perform and impress. I would try him on the left on the Domi line.

Problem is that Drouin is an offensive vacuum.

If he continues to be scrap in pre-season and starts the first 3 games being crap, I would demote him to the fourth line.

Tatar - Danault - Gally
Pohling - Domi - Lehkonen
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Drouin/Cousins - Thompson - Weal/Cousins

Like it or not, it's time for coaching to shorten the leash on Drouin

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
How can anyone watch Weal and think that he's not going to be a big part of our bottom 6.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
All of the young guys are showing up to camp.

The Laval guys Bouchard was in charge have improved significantly. Fleury and Evans are doing very well. Does it mean they're going to be regular NHLers ? Maybe not. But he had a job with the Rocket last year and were seeing he's doing it. Somehow, I dont think any of these guys are that prepared and well rounded if Lefebvre was running the farm club and rookie camp.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Honestly when you look at his pure skill set, Gallagher shouldn’t even be producing as much as he does. He’s not that skilled. He’s just tenacious as hell and gets to the areas others don’t want to.

There is no chance in hell I’d ever consider him a candidate to score 40-40 in a season, even if he had a better centre. It’s just not in his skill set. He’s not that guy. He’s the complimentary guy that does dirty work for two more talented players on his line and there’s nothing wrong with being that guy.

Gallagher has a ton of talent. Driving hard to the net, having great timing, shooting with a great release. That's not just working hard, it takes talent. If it was just a question of effort everyone would do it. Gallagher is a small guy, his strength is limited. It's not just nonstop effort, he has great timing and anticipation.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

"Le gars la qui arrive dans ton equipe, le jeune, la premiere chose que tu veux, cest quil se developpe. Parce que tu veux pas le scrapper en partant, ca arrive tres souvent, je lai deja vecu"

What he's saying here is that rushing a kid can break him. Thats literally the first thing he says.

So, for all the HFboard mini coaches who say its all on the player when he fails, listen to this please.

Last edited:
Reactions: G0bias

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I think opening roster will look like this:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Cousins-Poehling-Weal
Thompson

x-Suzuki

Mete-Weber