Line Combos: 2019 Line Combo Discussion Starter

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I personaly wouldnt mind having Baertschi on the 3rd line, he is a better passet than Pearson. Would be nice ti have at least one player in the bottom six that is a decent passer.
We don't have a Center capable enough in the offensive zone to allow a player like Baertschi to shine.
Let Baer play with Horvat and Miller and let Pearson solidfy a solid checking third line. Pearson with Virtanen is the makings for a solid third line that can hit and win puck battles.

I would like to see the Canucks package Gaudette + B prospect and upgrade the C position. A two-way 3C capable of 30 points would be awesome.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
We don't have a Center capable enough in the offensive zone to allow a player like Baertschi to shine.
Let Baer play with Horvat and Miller and let Pearson solidfy a solid checking third line. Pearson with Virtanen is the makings for a solid third line that can hit and win puck battles.

I would like to see the Canucks package Gaudette + B prospect and upgrade the C position. A two-way 3C capable of 30 points would be awesome.
Thats why we need to upgrade Sutter to a player that can use his linemates

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I will offer Gaudette for free to get rid of Eriksson contract. Canucks still need probably to keep about 2 million cap hit. That means 4 M cap hit saved, use 2 M to sign Brassard. Remaining 2 M + 5 M cap space right now + 2 M saved on two players getting sent down to ahl. 9 M total, that should be enough to resign Boeser and Goldobin

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I will offer Gaudette for free to get rid of Eriksson contract. Canucks still need probably to keep about 2 million cap hit. That means 4 M cap hit saved, use 2 M to sign Brassard. Remaining 2 M + 5 M cap space right now + 2 M saved on two players getting sent down to ahl. 9 M total, that should be enough to resign Boeser and Goldobin
Yeah, i'd be good with that.
Brassard would be such an ideal 3C. He's good at both end of the ice and skates well. He'd look good with Pearson or Baertschi on his LW. Virtanen on the RW.

Also, if Horvat goes down with Injuries he wouldnt look out of place playing 2C for a short-while. Pettersson down, Horvat goes 1C Brassard 2C. That would be awesome.

The problem with your plan though is the fact that I think Gaudette is really liked by management. I don't think they'd toss him in as a sweetener to dump Eriksson. However i agree with you that if it went down like that, the Canucks would be much better off.

Would you put Sutter or Beagle down as 4C?
Also, would Brassard even sign for $2MM? i would imagine that he'd get $2.75MM - $3MM from someone.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Brassard would be such an ideal 3C. He's good at both end of the ice and skates well. He'd look good with Pearson or Baertschi on his LW. Virtanen on the RW.

Also, if Horvat goes down with Injuries he wouldnt look out of place playing 2C for a short-while. Pettersson down, Horvat goes 1C Brassard 2C. That would be awesome.

The problem with your plan though is the fact that I think Gaudette is really liked by management. I don't think they'd toss him in as a sweetener to dump Eriksson. However i agree with you that if it went down like that, the Canucks would be much better off.

Also, would Brassard even sign for $2MM? i would imagine that he'd get $2.75MM - $3MM from someone.

I would go with this

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Ferland
Baer Brassard Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter

Similiar 2012 season when they had both natural Center Manny and Lapierre on the 4th line.

Brassard is coming off a bad season and still unsign so I don't believe there are too many offers out there. Maybe 2 to 3 M he will sign for.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I would go with this

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Ferland
Baer Brassard Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter

Similiar 2012 season when they had both natural Center Manny and Lapierre on the 4th line.

Brassard is coming off a bad season and still unsign so I don't believe there are too many offers out there. Maybe 2 to 3 M he will sign for.
Roussel looked so good last year. put up 31 points in 65 games! Keeping him as 4LW (his natural position) instead of Sutter playing RW would be my change there.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

I'd rather just try and develop Gaudette and see what he becomes. He could become that or more. Seems like a pointless move to trade him for something he has a really good chance of becoming anyways.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

It would be nice to have a guy like Brassard at 3C. I don't like the idea of him and Baertschi together, they're too similar in strengths/weaknesses. But something like:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Bae-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Brassard-Virtanen
Roussel/???-Sutter-Beagle

would be an actually pretty decent looking, balanced Top-9.

Problem is, 1)we'd probably somehow have to dump Eriksson to make that happen, and 2)Brassard at his best, has been a real PP guy. Finding room for him there might be a challenge.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It would be nice to have a guy like Brassard at 3C. I don't like the idea of him and Baertschi together, they're too similar in strengths/weaknesses. But something like:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Bae-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Brassard-Virtanen
Roussel/???-Sutter-Beagle

would be an actually pretty decent looking, balanced Top-9.

Problem is, 1)we'd probably somehow have to dump Eriksson to make that happen, and 2)Brassard at his best, has been a real PP guy. Finding room for him there might be a challenge.

I think your ??? Was meant to say “Leivo”.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
There is a weakness for the third line center position. I will call Pits and offer Virtanen for Macann.

Petey
Horvat
Macann
Gaudette

Canucks are set at center for a long time.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

Lol. Sutter is exactly what you just proposed giving up a promising rookie and avprospect for. Withput checking, im pretty sure Sutter has put up 30 or more points almost every season. Its ok not to be a fan of a player, but at least don't sell him short. A healthy Sutter, is actually quite valuable,

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
If Canucks still had Macann, he would be a perfect fit for the third line center. Reliable defensively, fast and can get 15 G 30 plus points as well.
Sutter does that and is much better defensively. Putting a playmaking winger on the 3rd line will negate the fact that Sutter is more of a scorer then assist guy. I think a healthy Sutter the last 2 years, would have changed the way he is portrayed. If you look at his career and not just 2 injury plagued seasons. He is a very good 3c. Seems like people just focus on his time here, without acknowledging what he did when he was healthy. Looking at other teams, not many have a better option then a healthy Sutter.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Sutter does that and is much better defensively. Putting a playmaking winger on the 3rd line will negate the fact that Sutter is more of a scorer then assist guy. I think a healthy Sutter the last 2 years, would have changed the way he is portrayed. If you look at his career and not just 2 injury plagued seasons. He is a very good 3c. Seems like people just focus on his time here, without acknowledging what he did when he was healthy. Looking at other teams, not many have a better option then a healthy Sutter.

I am a hugh fan of Sutter, go find a Sutter vs Bonino thread, I will defend Sutter from top to Bottom. However I am also a type a person that will call it the way I see it. After all those surgeries Sutter had, I don't believe he will be the same player. Speed was the big part of the game, I don't believe he will have anywhere close to the speed he had before. Also be never in the lineup, Canucks should look elsewhere

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Who will be on the a penalty kill? Canucks were 11th last year, one of the areas we can actually say Canucks were good at. Granlund a regular PK is gone, Eriksson might be gone as well.

Petey Boeser Goldobin Baer Leivo Gaudette Virtanen Ferland Miller. All played less than 5 mins on the pk. Rousell is an option but he won't be around to start the season. Schaller played some PK last season but mostly he won't be on the team.

That leaves us with Horvat Sutter Beagle and Motte. The PK last season was a strength, hopefully this year won't be a weakness.

We all don't like Eriksson but he is a good penalty killer.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Haven’t seen this anywhere else yet, but I stopped by Rogers Arena today and saw they were officially selling Ferland and Miller jerseys. As expected, Ferland is 79 but Miller’s switching to 9.

Attachments

• 710E3596-0E90-47B9-B138-80A9D28C14B4.jpeg
    710E3596-0E90-47B9-B138-80A9D28C14B4.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 9429CA23-0CE3-4367-ADAD-D82629A35584.jpeg
    9429CA23-0CE3-4367-ADAD-D82629A35584.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 4

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Haven’t seen this anywhere else yet, but I stopped by Rogers Arena today and saw they were officially selling Ferland and Miller jerseys. As expected, Ferland is 79 but Miller’s switching to 9.
Miller staying old school and Ferland newfangled.

No surprises.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I am a hugh fan of Sutter, go find a Sutter vs Bonino thread, I will defend Sutter from top to Bottom. However I am also a type a person that will call it the way I see it. After all those surgeries Sutter had, I don't believe he will be the same player. Speed was the big part of the game, I don't believe he will have anywhere close to the speed he had before. Also be never in the lineup, Canucks should look elsewhere

The question on if Sutter can gain his speed back is a very legitimate one. If he can get to 90% of his speed from before and play with smart players who can help him, I can still see him putting up 30+ points (if he plays close to 80 games). That's decent production for a 3rd line C.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I would go with this

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Ferland
Baer Brassard Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter

If Brassard and Baer clicked then we'd have three legit scoring lines. That would be sick.
I'd swap Miller and Ferland though ^^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad