World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Fingers crossed Asllani's OK. I've enjoyed watching her, even if she's been a touch erratic in her end product.

As I said earlier, I could imagine Holland improving on this performance. If they want to beat the USA, they've no other choice.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
meeh USA will win gold easy. Unimpressed by the Dutch

Yeah, I only watched the OT, but it's obvious USA has all the advantage here, also one more day of rest, and the Dutch even played longer than they hoped for.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yaaaaaas! Groenen and the Leeuwinnen advance! Man this final has done serious heartbreak potential for me now, cant wait!

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
My guess is that there were others involved, yes, but the American journalist is naturally going to hear primarily from Americans. But given that there were hundreds at a taxi stand hours after a game and seemingly no alternative transportation, it seems logical that the event wasn’t properly organized, local busses or not.

I mean, in this thread, people have disparaged the idea of a train (although it’s been done before), Uber, and local busses. We’re running out of options, particularly if the taxis weren’t particularly effective.

Its not the problem of the French that American fans, despite ample heads up time and an ideal route, can't get their shit together. They would've easily solved the issues through simple research (getting a hotel in Le Harve rather than spending it in a upper class seaside town), especially since the city had hosted other games and never had an issue with foreign fans.

Except, of course, with the "Ugly American" type.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Its not the problem of the French that American fans, despite ample heads up time and an ideal route, can't get their **** together. They would've easily solved the issues through simple research (getting a hotel in Le Harve rather than spending it in a upper class seaside town), especially since the city had hosted other games and never had an issue with foreign fans.

Except, of course, with the "Ugly American" type.
The city hadn’t and hasn’t hosted that many people for a game. This is just people looking for issues with American fans.

Another “ugly American?”

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The city hadn’t and hasn’t hosted that many people for a game. This is just people looking for issues with American fans.

Another “ugly American?”

Yes, blaming the fact they never hosted is a reason why they had to wait 30 minutes for a drink.

Le Harve had no problems handling the other foreign travellers that came in for the games. It seems that you fans tend to forget that there is a world outside of Paris (or even Marseilles). With the easiest and simplest schedule that you could expect, you still treat regions as a hick region when it doesn't provide what you need.

You guys are going to really have to sack up since its going to be in the Asia-Pacific for the next edition. Especially when the attitudes you bring won't work in that part of the world.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes, blaming the fact they never hosted is a reason why they had to wait 30 minutes for a drink.

Le Harve had no problems handling the other foreign travellers that came in for the games. It seems that you fans tend to forget that there is a world outside of Paris (or even Marseilles). With the easiest and simplest schedule that you could expect, you still treat regions as a hick region when it doesn't provide what you need.

You guys are going to really have to sack up since its going to be in the Asia-Pacific for the next edition. Especially when the attitudes you bring won't work in that part of the world.
Other foreign fans in smaller numbers? And I haven’t seen the drink complaints but yeah, it taking 30 minutes for a drink is pretty bad.

You’re also barking up the wrong tree with me and only liking Paris, or, I assume, other big cities. I don’t like Paris that much. I’ve spent a ton of time in smaller towns/cities in Europe. Just try again

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
giphy.gif

Would be interested to hear a ref's ruling on this since it's over and they didn't review it in game. I know in realtime the ref called it not a foul, and I can see why people would think it is a foul. However, this is another case for me of the attacker initiating contact and not the defender being careless/reckless/dangerous (which is what constitutes a foul). The defender looks to be making a clean play for the ball, and then the attacker steps inwards in an attempt to shield the ball, but in effect ends up hitting the Dutch defender mid tackle. Especially from the second angle it looks like more of a foul by the Swedish player (van Lunteren at that part was actually ahead of her with her leg and she barges into it) but I'm not really sure how it would be viewed if it went to VAR. The Swedish player also throws herself to the ground after the contact looking for the foul of course.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
^^what are they talking about?

It's a lot of French, and I totally didn't get it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

"You"

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Well, if they don't like tourists, they shouldn't host a world cup.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
giphy.gif

Would be interested to hear a ref's ruling on this since it's over and they didn't review it in game. I know in realtime the ref called it not a foul, and I can see why people would think it is a foul. However, this is another case for me of the attacker initiating contact and not the defender being careless/reckless/dangerous (which is what constitutes a foul). The defender looks to be making a clean play for the ball, and then the attacker steps inwards in an attempt to shield the ball, but in effect ends up hitting the Dutch defender mid tackle. Especially from the second angle it looks like more of a foul by the Swedish player (van Lunteren at that part was actually ahead of her with her leg and she barges into it) but I'm not really sure how it would be viewed if it went to VAR. The Swedish player also throws herself to the ground after the contact looking for the foul of course.

That's a penalty. Swedish player is protecting the ball

Sep 19, 2008
If there was an LA team I'd get some

I posted a tweet earlier about the NWSL being in a sort of critical year. I would hope the league continues to survive but it seems to be on some shaky footing. There are some teams like Seattle, NC, "Western NY", and Washington (which plays locally) but some markets are still missing. Would be nice to see some expansion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad