Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
My top 8 right now is: Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Dach, Zegras, Caufield and Krebs. I'd be happy to come home with any of the above. Thank goodness we pick at 8... any lower and we could miss out on one of these guys.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Podkolzin isn’t even remotely close to drai at the same age..

Still not seeing all the hype. Reminds me of the Pavel Zacha hype.

Reactions: McFlyingV

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Hughes
Kakko
Byram
Turcotte
Dach
Krebs
Caufield
Boldy
Cozens
Zegras
The swedish D

Russian is a hard no for me

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Look at a guy like Grimaldi, it looks like only now that he is gaining traction at the NHL level. We're seeing Yamamoto struggle with the game at the pro level and I'm not sure that Caufield skates any better than he did at the same age. He could be the next Debrincat but it's not like we don't have other potentially solid and less risky options there. Caufield is a guy that teams that have a solid roster and could afford him to bust or take a number of years to develop would take, IMO we're not that team. Worse yet if he stays in the NCAA for 3 seasons to get bigger and stronger and then walks as a FA.
Grimaldi's numbers are not even in the same stratosphere as Caufield's.

Yamamoto is a completely different player and his transition has nothing to do with size. There are multiple first year pro's who have size and put up the same numbers as Yam in the AHL. He's a first year pro still developing, this isn't anything out of the ordinary. Our fanbase is so quick to jump on these guys because we've failed with multiple 1st rounders and that's the only logic.

When you're breaking records at the US program and soon to be U18 tournament, there are more reasons to think he has the special quality that guys like DeBrincat and Gaudreau have rather than guys like Grimaldi and Petan..

If you're going to bring up the college free agency thing again, we're taking ourselves out of 4-5 of the projected top 12 players. Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Newhook, Knight, York.. Who are we going to take? The Swedish defenseman who could stay in Sweden forever? It's not even worth discussing.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'd still prefer the Oilers to draft a defenseman. It's the team's achilles heal and will continue to be until a true NHL caliber backend is built.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
None of them project to be elite NHL caliber defenseman other than Byram.

Makes no sense to reach for one, especially when it's looking like an organizational strength.

Until these D prospects prove themselves at the NHL level we can't be going counting our chickens before they hatch.

I won't be distressed if they don't pick a Dman at #8, but continuing to build the backend should be priority #1.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Podkolzin is ahead of Krebs, Boldy, Caufield and Kaliyev at our pick for me. I'd be on the fence with Cozens and Zegras, but the risk probably has me leaning towards both over him.

His stock probably rises exponentially over the next couple of seasons when he gets some regular ice time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'd still prefer the Oilers to draft a defenseman. It's the team's achilles heal and will continue to be until a true NHL caliber backend is built.

We have a few bubbling under. No d man is as good as the forwards available around where we’re picking.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Until these D prospects prove themselves at the NHL level we can't be going counting our chickens before they hatch.

I won't be distressed if they don't pick a Dman at #8, but continuing to build the backend should be priority #1.

And any d we’d pick us no sure thing.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the picks 1-7 look like this:

Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach, Byram, Krebs, Zegras

I'd take Caufield at 8 and run. A dynamic goal scorer with that release on Mcdavids wing... Yes please. Although I think he'd work better with a big center like Draisaitl that can fight through checks for him. Put him on the left half wall on the pp and he scores 45 goals consistently.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Defence is probably the strength of the team if I had to pick a position of strength, this isn’t 2014, defence isn’t the problem, Forwards and goalies are a much greater need.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Podkolzin is ahead of Krebs, Boldy, Caufield and Kaliyev at our pick for me. I'd be on the fence with Cozens and Zegras, but the risk probably has me leaning towards both over him.

His stock probably rises exponentially over the next couple of seasons when he gets some regular ice time.

Speaking of that, his usage makes me even more confused about his hype. Seems like scouts like him more than his coaches.

He's played on the second line at the u18s, the second line in the MHL, fourth line in the VHL and three minutes per night in the KHL.

Just seems strange for a prospect who is supposedly the surefire 3rd best player in the draft.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Defence is probably the strength of the team if I had to pick a position of strength, this isn’t 2014, defence isn’t the problem, Forwards and goalies are a much greater need.
The roster's defence needs some work, but they have some quality young players that they need to build around on the back end. Defence is definitely the strength of the prospect pool though with likely 2 or 3 (or more) soon to be NHLers in the next couple of years with imo Bouchard and Jones very likely to be NHL dmen, and at least one of Samorukov, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Day and Berglund likely to be at least a servicable NHL option.

We should definitely be focusing on forwards in the system at this time. In my mind there's 2 or 3 spots that we need to fill on the blue line internally over the next 2 or 3 seasons, while there's probably closer to 5 or 6 spots we need to fill at forward. Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Benson, and Marody all have decent to solid chances at filling those spots, with some other guys having a lesser chance or limited upside. That is definitely what we should be addressing at #8 especially when you look at the prospects who might be available with that pick. I mean sure if Byram fell to us you have to take him, but he won't fall.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Just finished watching the Canada/Belarus and US/Russia games. The players I was impressed with most were Caufield, Hughes, Harley, and Krebs.

Caufield with another 2 goals. Incredible release and knows how to get open.

Hughes is dynamite every time he touches the puck.

Harley is a really slick skating d-man. Button says he plays like Chabot of the Sens. I agree.

Krebs can play in all situations. First time I've seen him play and he didn't disappoint.

The TSN analyst said that Caufield's play could get him selected in the top 5. I doubt he's available at 8 at this point.

Podkolzin was disappointing. He wasn't much of a presence in the game at all. I think for sure he falls out of the top 10.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
If the picks 1-7 look like this:

Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach, Byram, Krebs, Zegras

I'd take Caufield at 8 and run. A dynamic goal scorer with that release on Mcdavids wing... Yes please. Although I think he'd work better with a big center like Draisaitl that can fight through checks for him. Put him on the left half wall on the pp and he scores 45 goals consistently.

I don't know about this. Caufield will have trouble getting open around the crease in the NHL. He can do it against Juniors. I am not sure he will do it against NHLers.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Just finished watching the Canada/Belarus and US/Russia games. The players I was impressed with most were Caufield, Hughes, Harley, and Krebs.

Caufield with another 2 goals. Incredible release and knows how to get open.

Hughes is dynamite every time he touches the puck.

Harley is a really slick skating d-man. Button says he plays like Chabot of the Sens. I agree.

Krebs can play in all situations. First time I've seen him play and he didn't disappoint.

The TSN analyst said that Caufield's play could get him selected in the top 5. I doubt he's available at 8 at this point.

Podkolzin was disappointing. He wasn't much of a presence in the game at all. I think for sure he falls out of the top 10.

I like that Krebs is a high energy player with skill. Might be just what the Oilers need (that or Soderstrom or Zegras).

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Positions 3-10 are so close skill wise teams are going to put a lot of stock into how they interview.

oilers are getting a damn good player at 8, and for me it would come down to who wants to be an Oiler and do they have the commitment to be the best? Wish fans could get an ear in the interviewing process.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Happy to see more people getting behind Krebs.

Kid is going to be a great pro.
Oh 100p. His incredibly high hockey IQ and work ethic mean that he'll be at least a good 3rd liner.

The question is how high is the upside? Imo, it's very high. 25 goal, 75 point 1st line winger is what I see in Krebs. He's so good in every aspect of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad