Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 10 | Hockey in august , meh not so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That's a complex question. I think it's a combination of things but primarily, from my pov, his playstyle just wont/doesn't mesh with the kinds of linemates he plays with here. He cant be the primary playmaker on his line, which he was basically forced to be here when he played center. In Colorado it seems like hed be able to focus more on being able to utilize his shot in the offensive zone instead of being the setup guy.

A Compher for McCann swap sounds interesting to me, since Donskoi would be our primary playmaker on that line. I don't know if Compher is the perfect candidate for Pittsburgh's #3C role as he always played better on the wing here, but may fit into Pittsburgh a bit better.

Reactions: Beauner

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a complex question. I think it's a combination of things but primarily, from my pov, his playstyle just wont/doesn't mesh with the kinds of linemates he plays with here. He cant be the primary playmaker on his line, which he was basically forced to be here when he played center. In Colorado it seems like hed be able to focus more on being able to utilize his shot in the offensive zone instead of being the setup guy.
How is he defensively? Him being a healthy scratch in the playoffs despite having decent regular season stats scares the shit out of me TBH. It's almost the ultimate redflag.

Wouldn't want the shoot first version of Kerfoot.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think we need to take a breath before reacting to that remark. I think fitness gets way exaggerated in situations like this. We tend to think that if conditioning is a question then the guy came rolling in on a rascal scooter sporting a beer gut. It's just possible that they just weren't in ideal shape. If indeed Grubauer was the unnamed Avs player who tested positive for COVID-19, then that's doubly bad because that would've seriously affected his training going into this tournament.

They always question fitness and training regimens when injuries pile up like this, and that's fine. But I don't think this was quite the same as what happened with Kase and Pastrnak in Boston.

Stretch those groins, kids!
Wasn't there a story published prior to the bubble showing Grubauer training in his garage, and talking about how he had been going for 100 mile cycle rides every single day of the lockdown? Maybe he's just burned himself out on the bike but it doesn't seem to me that he was out of shape.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
How is he defensively? Him being a healthy scratch in the playoffs despite having decent regular season stats scares the shit out of me TBH. It's almost the ultimate redflag.

Wouldn't want the shoot first version of Kerfoot.
He's passable defensively. No idea what his advanced stats are but he's not going to kill you, yet he's never gonna win a Selke.. I think we'd like a better defensive guy for the 3rd line a-la Bonino but guys like that either a) aren't available or b) too expensive. Hence taking a chance on a guy like Compher may be a calculated gamble.

As for the healthy scratch thing, I think that goes back to being a poor fit for the role he was asked. He hadn't produced for about 20 or so games prior to the shutdown, which coincided almost exactly with when he was moved back to center. If we had an opening at wing, I'd be totally on board with keeping him as a winger. But with Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, Hornqvist, and now Kapanen, there's really not a spot for him there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As for the healthy scratch thing, I think that goes back to being a poor fit for the role he was asked. He hadn't produced for about 20 or so games prior to the shutdown, which coincided almost exactly with when he was moved back to center. If we had an opening at wing, I'd be totally on board with keeping him as a winger. But with Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, Hornqvist, and now Kapanen, there's really not a spot for him there.
Thanks. Sounds like he's better suited to play on the wing then, just like Compher. I'd not absolutely hate the idea of getting him in a trade but I don't think he should be a target to fix our 3C issue.

Reactions: Beauner

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I still don't believe it.

Even for advanced cyclists... Thats like 6-7 hours on bike every day.

If he was actually doing that.... Make no wonder the dude got injured he absolutely burned himself out.
Yeah if it's true then burnout could be a big reason for his muscle injuries in his groin.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks. Sounds like he's better suited to play on the wing then, just like Compher. I'd not absolutely hate the idea of getting him in a trade but I don't think he should be a target to fix our 3C issue.
Could be. I think this may come down to a matter of opinion. When he played wing here, he was with Crosby and looked pretty good. Was that because he wasn't the primary setup guy? Or is he just a better winger? Or maybe both? Maybe his production is dependent more on his linemates than what position he plays. That's the kind of thing for pro scouts and a GM to debate and come to a conclusion on.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Could be. I think this may come down to a matter of opinion. When he played wing here, he was with Crosby and looked pretty good. Was that because he wasn't the primary setup guy? Or is he just a better winger? Or maybe both? Maybe his production is dependent more on his linemates than what position he plays. That's the kind of thing for pro scouts and a GM to debate and come to a conclusion on.

It seems like both teams are trading each other the same guy and hoping they're getting a different guy coming back.

Reactions: Balthazar

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It seems like both teams are trading each other the same guy and hoping they're getting a different guy coming back.
That's basically my exact train of thought with this idea :laugh: swap similar players, and hope a change of scenery/role/coaching/linemates/whatever will create a perfect fit

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So I found out posting an Armchair GM offseason over at capfriendly is like posting on the main boards here :laugh:

That's not the least bit surprising. Any time I visit an Avs forum of any kind, including on any of the major social media outlets, you'll be guaranteed to find at least a couple morons who just post stuff like they're Pierre McGuire on meth.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That's basically my exact train of thought with this idea :laugh: swap similar players, and hope a change of scenery/role/coaching/linemates/whatever will create a perfect fit

You can trade donkeys but a change of scenery isn't likely going to make either run like a thoroughbred.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well McCann can't win faceoffs to save his life so he'd be a good fit for the Avs in that category.

I think--if I'm reading this right--you're thinking of a Compher/McCann type deal. I think you'll be sorely disappointed in Compher as well. He probably has better offensive upside than McCann, but defensively he's not even close, and IMO he's just not a center. He's a good depth RW for the right team and when he causes turnovers and breakaways with his speed, can be deadly on the penalty kill, but overall I don't think he'd be an upgrade at all on McCann.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well McCann can't win faceoffs to save his life so he'd be a good fit for the Avs in that category.

I think--if I'm reading this right--you're thinking of a Compher/McCann type deal. I think you'll be sorely disappointed in Compher as well. He probably has better offensive upside than McCann, but defensively he's not even close, and IMO he's just not a center. He's a good depth RW for the right team and when he causes turnovers and breakaways with his speed, can be deadly on the penalty kill, but overall I don't think he'd be an upgrade at all on McCann.
I think the point is neither team would be upgrading :laugh:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

the McCann/Compher thing is not meant to be a standalone deal. I was thinking they'd be included in a Murray deal as lesser pieces.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the point is neither team would be upgrading :laugh:

The Avs would probably get the better end of that in that they'd be getting a better defensive forward.

The only reason I'd like to see JTC stick around is his penchant for scoring big goals when the team needs them the most. But there should be other players on this team who can do that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah but it's usually about lining up a perceived skill with a teams perceived need.

Not necessarily. When Lou Lamoriello traded Jason Arnott and Randy McKay to the Dallas Stars for Joe Nieuwendyk and Jamie Langenbrunner, that was, by Lou's admission, a deal meant to shake things up. They didn't view Nieuwendyk as any sort of "upgrade" to Arnott, and really, Joe being eight years older, shouldn't have been. It worked out huge for the Devils because Langenbrunner hit his prime and became a scoring force for NJ the following season, especially in the playoffs. I can't remember if Pierre Lacroix did anything like that, but it happens in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad