Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part три (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why? It shows exactly how a player can be well out of his depth in his role and still come up positive in CF% and xGF% on a Sharks team that is near the top of the league in those categories.

No, it shows that a 4th liner can be well out of his depth with a small sample size. Trying to make that equivocation between Haley and his talent and his role to Pavelski or Marleau and their talents and their roles is being purposely misleading. But even if that were an honest comparison, it's still apples to oranges.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Who knows maybe they bring back Ryan on a cheaper deal like Demelo...?
Ryan was on the cheapest deal possible at 650k last year. His QO was I believe the lowest of anyone. You can’t re-sign him for any cheaper. He is soft and plays a weak defensive game. Let him walk. Literally his only attribute is he’s played some games and he’s cheap. Can find more than that from someone else.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'm pretty surprised they didn't qualify him, I liked what he brought. They talked him up all season, and I even thought they might try to plug him into the fourth line next season. He seems like a DeBoer type of player.
His QO was way too high for a 4th line grinder. He will be back, but just signed as a UFA.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Rumors of Dilllon being on the block and Ryan not qualified makes me wonder what Doug’s planning for D. Has he spoken to some FA d-men? Is he planning a trade? I know we’ve got some guys in the A but playing 3 rookies can’t be his plan (though I don’t hate it if it is... but it’s not like him).

My guess is: we don’t re-sign Pavs, we sign at least one FA d-man (ugh why do I think it’ll be Phaneuf) and someone like Nyquist, Zucc, etc.

Possibly trade Dillon/picks/prospect for a young, cheap top 6 forward with a high ceiling (yeah yeah he’s not worth that... but this is Doug we’re talking about).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Rumors of Dilllon being on the block and Ryan not qualified makes me wonder what Doug’s planning for D. Has he spoken to some FA d-men? Is he planning a trade? I know we’ve got some guys in the A but playing 3 rookies can’t be his plan (though I don’t hate it if it is... but it’s not like him).

My guess is: we don’t re-sign Pavs, we sign at least one FA d-man (ugh why do I think it’ll be Phaneuf) and someone like Nyquist, Zucc, etc.

Possibly trade Dillon/picks/prospect for a young, cheap top 6 forward with a high ceiling (yeah yeah he’s not worth that... but this is Doug we’re talking about).

Didnt Phaneuf get health scratched last season in LA? I know he is a physical D-man but I would rather take a chance with our kids than play him. He is a slow skater and gets out of position a lot while making hits.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No, it shows that a 4th liner can be well out of his depth with a small sample size. Trying to make that equivocation between Haley and his talent and his role to Pavelski or Marleau and their talents and their roles is being purposely misleading. But even if that were an honest comparison, it's still apples to oranges.

And it also shows that that 4th liner can be very solid in terms of Corsi and Expected Goals.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
When was the last time it took us so long to re-sign a player of Meier's caliber? Last player I remember taking too long to re-sign was Tierney who went to arbitration and then ended up being traded for EK65.

And Tierney is not even close to Meier level.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Joe Pavelski is still in Wisconsin. I figured he would have been visiting Dallas or Tampa at this point.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Seriously. Stralman seems interesting...
Stralman would have to come in around 2 years and $2-2.5 mil per for me to be interested and even then I would rather pass on bringing him in. He is similar to Braun in that he has taken a beating and his body is just not what it once was. His underlying stats are all on a steep decline as well. Hard pass for me. A few years ago, would have been all aboard in bringing that kinda guy in.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
When was the last time it took us so long to re-sign a player of Meier's caliber? Last player I remember taking too long to re-sign was Tierney who went to arbitration and then ended up being traded for EK65.

And Tierney is not even close to Meier level.

Think it speaks to how the RFA landscape has changed. DW may not be able to work his magic on usual cost effective bridge deals.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ryan had arbitration rights. Could be that the Sharks didn't want to deal with that in a cap crunch situation.

That certainly seems to be the case. If it went to arbitration I could see him being awarded north of a million. I suspect that Doug wants to come at that or just below.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I know that DW reportedly had interest in Alex Edler. That's the only external player we've heard anything about. But I wonder if that was something that Edler's camp leaked in order to improve leverage from the Canucks.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I think Pavs ends up in Minnesota. Close to his home and I think he’s likely a bit irritated the Sharks want him to take a discount.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Stralman would have to come in around 2 years and $2-2.5 mil per for me to be interested and even then I would rather pass on bringing him in. He is similar to Braun in that he has taken a beating and his body is just not what it once was. His underlying stats are all on a steep decline as well. Hard pass for me. A few years ago, would have been all aboard in bringing that kinda guy in.

That's unfortunate. I wanted Stralman so bad when Tampa got him. Was an incredibly underrated defender.

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
I think Pavs ends up in Minnesota. Close to his home and I think he’s likely a bit irritated the Sharks want him to take a discount.
Honestly after everything he’s done since being drafted he deserves to get paid. I’d wanna see him on the hawks and win a cup if we don’t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad