2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But his weight is mainly in his hands, which is why he struggles to shoot well.

If you want to be an NHL caliber bottom 6 player, your weight needs to mainly be in one specific location......

tumblr_pznbgh8MeT1qizf4bo1_400.gifv

The blueprint. 218/240 pounds are located in that right bicep alone.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NAK is 5'11 211, he's a bigger version of TK (fireplug body).

Yes, Frost can get a little stronger if he has Giroux's work ethic (how many do, then there's Provorov, but he's not human).
However he's only added 7-12 lbs since he was drafted, (5'11 173 at the combine) over a 3 year period.

Farabee should be able to add another 15-20 lbs the next two to three years.
6'0 162 at the combine, 171 in TC this year.
I figure he'll end up around 6'1 190-195.
So Frost was 173 at combine...he was 187 last July. That's 15 lbs added in 2 years. So your "7-12 lbs in 3 years" is just flat out wrong. So maybe his work ethic IS better than what you are pretending it is. And everyone that I have seen lists Giroux weight at 185...so Frost is already more than that.

Ready for Flyers' roster? Play the wing? Frost will have chance to answer

Farabee turns 21 in 9 months. So how is he adding another 15-20 in 2-3 years? They stop at age 21, or is that just Frost? Now adding 15-20 post draft...sure.....just like Frost has done.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So Frost was 173 at combine...he was 187 last July. That's 15 lbs added in 2 years. So your "7-12 lbs in 3 years" is just flat out wrong. So maybe his work ethic IS better than what you are pretending it is. And everyone that I have seen lists Giroux weight at 185...so Frost is already more than that.

Farabee turns 21 in 9 months. So how is he adding another 15-20 in 2-3 years? They stop at age 21, or is that just Frost? Now adding 15-20 post draft...sure.....just like Frost has done.
Frost is the new TK, as far as criticisms go.

Reactions: pit and Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Frost was 180 at TC, so I'm not sure he ever got to 187, maybe after spending a day wolfing down cheesesteaks at one of our finer establishments.
You can just look at the two of them and see who has the bigger frame.
Adding weight/strength is partially a function of genetics, if you have a slight frame, it's hard to add a lot of functional muscle.

Some guy posted this:

My report:

JOEL FARABEE (LW) - #11

USA U18 (USHL)
76 points / 62 games
6’0”, 162 lbs

Saying Farabee understands how to hockey is both the most accurate and lamest thing I could say. But I said it anyway. The most noticeable things about Farabee are that he thinks the game at such a high-end level all over the ice and he works his ass off relentlessly, though he's not a traditional pest.

Farabee is a legit 6 foot, but he needs a lot more weight gain as he’s a bit of a stick, though having two older 6’3 200lb brothers is perhaps comforting that growth opportunity exists, with certainly the ability to fill out. Despite it, he wins far more battles than he should at his size.

As I said, a bit more growth isn't crazy. But yes, if he's 6 foot and 185 lbs, that's a good weight. I highly doubt he'll be slower. He has quick shifty feet and good burst. He needs power in his stride. If anything, added muscle will do wonders, along with working on his conditioning/stride.

They'd compliment each other fantastically IMO. Farabee is a line driver, but he doesn't need the puck to do it. He's great off puck too offensively or working the corners or in front -- better than Frost there. Frost is more of that "puck controller," but he's a very quick puck mover too who loves getting everyone involved and working give and go's.

Farabee's brothers are both big-framed guys. Hextall said he thinks Farabee may have a late growth spurt.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Frost was 180 at TC, so I'm not sure he ever got to 187, maybe after spending a day wolfing down cheesesteaks at one of our finer establishments.
You can just look at the two of them and see who has the bigger frame.
Adding weight/strength is partially a function of genetics, if you have a slight frame, it's hard to add a lot of functional muscle.
See...you are lying/misleading/ignoring again.

You say Frost was 180 at TC....but which one? You are INSINUATING, that was at the last TC. The link I provided was Frost himself in July 2018 saying he was 187 and trying to get to 190 by THAT TC...in 2018.

So again....already had added 15 lbs in 2 years since being drafted....not the 7-12 in 3 years you "claimed".

And your answer to it is..."I don't believe it"

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think size is Frost's biggest issue right now. Sure, a couple extra pounds wouldn't hurt, but he's too raw and inexperienced to play center on a playoff team.
I would love to see him start as a winger, but I guess there isn't really a spot right now.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Frosts problem is coaching. More specifically, the coaches not letting him play.

Seems like a pattern.

He was/is easily good enough to be on this roster.

Reactions: Devonator

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He could center a bottom 6 line when the other options are not outstanding - Laughton, Grant, Thompson, Raffl, Bunnaman.

Other teams would look at this and be very worried, much more so than if Thompson was playing. All the regular season concerns of development and young players getting enough ice time go out the window in the playoffs. You just have to win games. And having two 1st lines and two 3rd lines is the Flyers best chance.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

JVR-Grant-NAK
Laughton-Frost-Raffl

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He could center a bottom 6 line when the other options are not outstanding - Laughton, Grant, Thompson, Raffl, Bunnaman.

Other teams would look at this and be very worried, much more so than if Thompson was playing. All the regular season concerns of development and young players getting enough ice time go out the window in the playoffs. You just have to win games. And having two 1st lines and two 3rd lines is the Flyers best chance.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

JVR-Grant-NAK
Laughton-Frost-Raffl
I don't hate that lineup. Having Raffl and Laughton on his line doing the defensive work sure would help a lot.

But Pitlick has played too well to take him out of the lineup for a rookie. It's amazing how we have too many wingers on the team. A couple years ago we didn't even have enough wingers for 3 capable lines let alone 4.

Reactions: orangey

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd buy that if AV actually used him when he was up. Instead he got scrap time and then healthy scratched.

Go through his game logs and compare his TOI to the other forwards. You wont find many glaring examples of Frost being under-utilized when he was up. Maybe 2-3 games. The Flyers are just a deep team. Get him in there over Thompson and lets rock and roll.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I understand frost was a very good defensive player in juniors. Is this contact aversion something he showed with the phantoms? I wouldn't have normally thought to put a skill player waiting to fill out on the fourth line but maybe getting roughed up a little is what the kid needs

Nah he was born a smol bitch and that's what he will always be. It's a man's game and he is his "skill" aren't going to hold up

/hatcher

Reactions: ybnvs

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Go through his game logs and compare his TOI to the other forwards. You wont find many glaring examples of Frost being under-utilized when he was up. Maybe 2-3 games. The Flyers are just a deep team. Get him in there over Thompson and lets rock and roll.

I did and I don't think it was proper usage.

In his most recent stretch (after it was reported that AV was begging for him to come up):
-he got called up before the game on Feb 8th
-played two games (2/8 and 2/10)
-then got healthy scratched twice
-was sent down to the AHL

In those two games he had 13:06 and 12:55 total TOI, playing on a line with Pitlick+JVR and most often the Hagg-Braun pair. It's just not good enough in quantity or quality for him to have an impact or improve from experience. Plus, they chose to keep Bunnaman, Pitlick, Raffl, NAK, and Laughton in the lineup instead. I'd easily take him over multiple of them.

Point being, if AV was really begging for him to be up as they claim, I don't see why he'd use him so little and then scratch him. He's given far worse players far more responsibility and leash.

Even outside of that sample, in his 20 NHL games, he played 15 min or more total TOI only 4 times. Remember the difference between TK when he was in the bottom six vs when he was used in the top 6 during 2017-2018? Seems like the same problem here.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
So were people expecting Frost to start in the AHL next season?
For clarity are we talking "expecting" or "wanting"?

Because I fully expect him in the AHL to start next season, and I fully expect to set fire to this board about it

Reactions: TB87

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I did and I don't think it was proper usage.

In his most recent stretch (after it was reported that AV was begging for him to come up):
-he got called up before the game on Feb 8th
-played two games (2/8 and 2/10)
-then got healthy scratched twice
-was sent down to the AHL

In those two games he had 13:06 and 12:55 total TOI, playing on a line with Pitlick+JVR and most often the Hagg-Braun pair. It's just not good enough in quantity or quality for him to have an impact or improve from experience. Plus, they chose to keep Bunnaman, Pitlick, Raffl, NAK, and Laughton in the lineup instead. I'd easily take him over multiple of them.

Point being, if AV was really begging for him to be up as they claim, I don't see why he'd use him so little and then scratch him. He's given far worse players far more responsibility and leash.

Even outside of that sample, in his 20 NHL games, he played 15 min or more total TOI only 4 times. Remember the difference between TK when he was in the bottom six vs when he was used in the top 6 during 2017-2018? Seems like the same problem here.

The Flyers were not as deep in 17-18 as they were in 19-20. He got fairly normal usage for a bottom 6 forward in MOST of his games. In other games where he got more or less than normal, it was usually the type of game dictating AV's deployment. Again, i'll give you 2-3 games he should have seen the ice more, but thats about it.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Do you expect Patrick to be healthy next year and on the team?

If yes I can see the scenario Patrick 3c Frost starts in minors.

If no how is Frost not 3c?

Even with Patrick back, I don't see how you keep Frost in the A. Bring him up, and give him the Giroux treatment. I don't get to watch every AHL game, but from the few I was able to watch, and given his stat-line there, there isn't much left for him there.

Bring him up, put him on a wing, and let him adjust to the speed of the NHL. Then once he has a better feel for the speed, move him back to C and let him go. His defensive inefficiencies, from what I could see, are mostly due to a lack of understanding the pace of the game, not skill.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Even with Patrick back, I don't see how you keep Frost in the A. Bring him up, and give him the Giroux treatment. I don't get to watch every AHL game, but from the few I was able to watch, and given his stat-line there, there isn't much left for him there.

Bring him up, put him on a wing, and let him adjust to the speed of the NHL. Then once he has a better feel for the speed, move him back to C and let him go. His defensive inefficiencies, from what I could see, are mostly due to a lack of understanding the pace of the game, not skill.
I agree that is what I want to occur.

Is AV and the organization in general ok with Frost being 4c IF Patrick beats him out and is declared healthy (of course huge if).

If so (assuming no Lindblom start of season)
G-Couts-Voracek
Bee(or Laughton)-Hayes-TK
JVR-Patrick-Kubel
Laughton(or Bee)-Frost- Rafll

Would Flyers be ok with Frost 10-12 min a night? If so that sure looks like deepest 4 lines in hockey to me.

Reactions: orangey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad