2019/20 Roster Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
To be fair to Colby, I can understand where he is coming from. When you have eyes like his, it's like an eye test cheat code. He sees things no other living organism can see. Within 4 seconds, he can make a 99.9% accurate evaluation of a player. Within 6 seconds, he can see into your soul.

OptimisticKaleidoscopicHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It was an 8-5 Hockey game. Defense was pretty optional for every FWD on both teams. Bill looks for any and all opportunities to critique Frost’s play. More so than any prospect in recent memory IMO. It’s weird

He does this any time a prospect the fanbase really wants to see in Philadelphia is stuck in Lehigh Valley. I don't know if he just takes weird satisfaction in trying to make the fanbase feel as if their opinion is not valid when they disagree with management, or if he is really just trying to provide an objective opinion. My guess is the former.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Holy moly, Colby Cohen is a condescending tool:

This may not be relevant to this particular thread. Oh well. Eat my shorts ya filthy animal

I really think he speak the truth! That is what is happening in the whole World of NHL Hockey. That is why we have worthless players every year in the lineup! That is why we cant be competitive for so many years! Maybe Hextall was the first one who looks at analytics and thats why we found a lot of diamonds in later rounds compare to other teams.

And maybe this is one of the reasons why they canned him. Cause he isn´t doing management the old way!

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Without looking at numbers I think Hayes is totally a plus defensively, especially considering his PK work, which is unquestionably excellent. Hayes is very much a gambler and his whole game is sort of designed to try to set up home run plays and I think that style is far preferable to the passive defensive zone tactics the Flyers have used in the past. He's not Couts or ROR or Bergeron but he's effective.

Yeah I don't think he is a problem defensively. But I think he is closer to average then too a top defensive player.

And I'm not advocating a passive defense by any means. Good defensive players don't play passively. They close down passing and skating lanes with aggressive body positioning and take away time and space. Hayes is capable of playing like that but I dont think it's really in his make up.

Reactions: Striiker

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is it OK to say Niskanen is a 1st pairing defenseman now? Apparently it wasn't a month ago, but he has played on the Flyers 1st pairing for almost the entire season which is now 61 games old.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What’s it like to be moved at the trade deadline? Kevin Hayes explains

It sounds like he may have had an injection recently to help him deal with the pain, which evidently had a lot to do with the scar tissue from the operation, and may be able to return to the lineup soon.

“As many times as you’re out, especially for that long, you hear all these stories about people coming back from the type of surgery I had in two weeks, three weeks and your body’s just not responding well to it. It’s definitely a little frustrating,” Gostisbehere said. “It’s not like I didn’t feel good. It’s just I played and then didn’t feel good after. For me, definitely taking a slower step…it definitely helps that the boys are doing pretty good right now so you know you can sit back, take care of yourself and do good things for the team.”

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
I can’t help but think each game how much wasted potential JVR carries. I mean he seriously could be a force in this league.

he’s simply too lazy and disengaged 85% of each game. He has the size but refuses to use it.

I can’t help but get frustrated by his unwillingness to push himself. Hopefully I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s just such a bummer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would waive JVR and Jake if there was a chance any team would take them. You can't be a good team with two Mr Softees making $15m.

Reactions: Willis88

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR is probably having his career year, at least according to advanced metrics, despite lacking a good match at center.
In Toronto he didn't blossom until Bozak was paired with him.
This year he's had Hayes, Giroux and Laughton.
He's carrying that Laughton line, skating better than I ever remember, and playing more physical.

As far as Ghost, go back to the beginning of the season and Pitlick playing after missing a month with the injured wrist.
Two horrid weeks of play, he got benched, when he got back into the lineup he's been a whirling dervish.
It takes time to get your game legs back, and probably longer when you've had knee surgery.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
JVR isn't lazy.

Effort isn't the reason for every mistake that's ever been made. He's just not an aggressive physical player, which is fine. You don't have to be physical just because you're big, just like you don't need to avoid contact just because you're small. JVR is still a large asset to this team just the way he is. The goals are what matter, not hits.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can’t help but think each game how much wasted potential JVR carries. I mean he seriously could be a force in this league.

he’s simply too lazy and disengaged 85% of each game. He has the size but refuses to use it.

I can’t help but get frustrated by his unwillingness to push himself. Hopefully I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s just such a bummer.

I really don't understand where this opinion comes from. Do I think he lived up to his potential overall? No. Do I think he is lazy and disengaged 85% of the game?! Not a f***ing chance. Not every player is built the same way. JVR has worked hard this year and has been productive at 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad