Speculation: 2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Is Risto to RW really as crazy as it seems?
yes. its one thing to be impressed with him rushing up the boards for a dangle, but if it doesnt work and he just ends up in the corner? I dont think he has the quick twitch feet to grind away or the IQ to make the right read if he ever establishes control of the puck. He'd be like an even worse EKane.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I don't get the rush to trade Risto. Pilut/Bogo injured. Hunwick/Scandella are useless. If Hunwick/Scandella turn things around just put Jokiharju in the AHL and then flip them for a 4th. We have some D depth but it's not a proven or impressive group in any way.
Learn form Sakic, keep your player until someone has a really bad need. I have a hard time thinking Risto will lose value.

Dahlin-Montour
McCabe-Risto
Jokiharju-Miller
Nelson

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres D are going to be youngggggggggggg if they dont trade Risto

Dahlin(19)-Risto(24)
Pilut(23)-Montour(25)
McCabe(25)-Miller(26)
Joker(20)

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Johan "Slot Deadzone" Larsson. Daaamn.
Hopefully we keep Larson but looks like botts fixes his cap by ridding salary from bogo scandella hunwick. and McCabe or at leazt two.
....and either keeps risto and signs gusev or anoher free agent or actually becomes predicable and trade mario risto.
hopefully gets ough w ferland or maroon along w aquiring top 6 scorer in some ingenious back door way and keeps risto who just wants to win.
..... either way its better than any scenario any hockey poster has come up with . I'm entertained in the off season bravo!

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Is Risto to RW really as crazy as it seems?
If you're trying to trade a defenseman, telling the rest of the league that you think he can't actually play defense is probably not a great look.

I think it's less about that, and more about the fact that he hasn't proven **** in an organization that has the #1 Goalie spot as his for the taking.
And what does that have to do with his filing for arbitration? It doesn't mean he's demanding to be paid as a number one. It means he wants to be paid more than his QO and doesn't want to give up the only real leverage he has in contract negotiations.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
If you're trying to trade a defenseman, telling the rest of the league that you think he can't actually play defense is probably not a great look.

And what does that have to do with his filing for arbitration? It doesn't mean he's demanding to be paid as a number one. It means he wants to be paid more than his QO and doesn't want to give up the only real leverage he has in contract negotiations.

Obviously... No one's debating that.

My point is, it's still annoying that an under-performing guy who has zero leverage is opting the long, hard road to *maybe* a few extra thousand instead of simply signing his QA (like most other underachieving RFA's do) and proving himself.

This isn't' Regier low-balling Dumont. His play regressed, and he's acting as if he has more leverage than he has.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wonder if one of our other young D prospects goes out in a package for Gusev. Vegas can't take current roster players, but want picks and prospects.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't get the rush to trade Risto. Pilut/Bogo injured. Hunwick/Scandella are useless. If Hunwick/Scandella turn things around just put Jokiharju in the AHL and then flip them for a 4th. We have some D depth but it's not a proven or impressive group in any way.
Learn form Sakic, keep your player until someone has a really bad need. I have a hard time thinking Risto will lose value.

Dahlin-Montour
McCabe-Risto
Jokiharju-Miller
Nelson

Flipping Joki to his left side doesn't seem like a good idea. Keep RHDs on the right side, IMO. The only one of our righties that can on occasion flip left is Bogo, and he's not so good there.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wonder if Babcock wishes he could pull a Vesey and finally sign with us instead. He's had an unsatisfied thirst for RHD's since the Red Wing says. Botts is building his dream team.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Flipping Joki to his left side doesn't seem like a good idea. Keep RHDs on the right side, IMO. The only one of our righties that can on occasion flip left is Bogo, and he's not so good there.
Yeah, I think Montour would be the best one to play on the left. Still no rush to trade Risto.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Obviously... No one's debating that.

My point is, it's still annoying that an under-performing guy who has zero leverage is opting the long, hard road to *maybe* a few extra thousand instead of simply signing his QA (like most other underachieving RFA's do) and proving himself.

This isn't' Regier low-balling Dumont. His play regressed, and he's acting as if he has more leverage than he has.
1) He doesn't have zero leverage. He has his arbitration rights. Those are leverage.
2) What do you mean his play regressed? How did it regress? He had barely even played in the NHL prior to this season. Sure he had an okay run in 15-16 but that was only 20 games in a system where all of the goalies had good save percentages. This was Ullmark's first real NHL run, and it was in a system that was not particularly conducive to goaltender success - at least after the streak.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
1) He doesn't have zero leverage. He has his arbitration rights. Those are leverage.
2) What do you mean his play regressed? How did it regress? He had barely even played in the NHL prior to this season. Sure he had an okay run in 15-16 but that was only 20 games in a system where all of the goalies had good save percentages. This was Ullmark's first real NHL run, and it was in a system that was not particularly conducive to goaltender success - at least after the streak.
posture, positioning, poise. the eye test pointed to all of them, he reverted back to his raw rookie year style of play instead of the calmer demeanor he grew in Rochester. Now perhaps being shellshocked had something to do with it, or Allen couldnt see it to help fix it. But he for sure looked that way too me, as if he lost what he learned and tried to get by on scrambling and instincts.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think I would lean to 2 years of Boyle with his 18G (v6), leadership, and room presence.

Not a chance.

Boyle D.png Boyle O.png Larsson D.png Larsson O.png

Graphs show that Boyle and Larsson kill offense at roughly the same rate, though Boyle is a bit better right in front of the net.

Defensively, the graphs speak for themselves. Boyle kinda sucks defensively. Larsson? Excels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad